• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Holding slams Twenty20 'rubbish'

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
How can it be 'rubbish' if it is so popular? I've never heard of popular rubbish. He loves a whinge does Mikey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4234237.stm

Holding slams Twenty20 'rubbish'

West Indies great Michael Holding has branded Twenty20 cricket "rubbish" as its international future is debated.
Holding refused to watch last month's Twenty20 match between Australia A and Pakistan in Adelaide.

He told The Voice: "It saddens me to hear people say that it is a real contest between bat and ball. How can simple slogging be good cricket?

"It might have a place in domestic cricket but should never be introduced as an international competition."

The International Cricket Council chief executives' committee is to discuss the new format, which has proved a massive success at domestic level, in Melbourne on Friday.

Twenty20 cricket, which features games lasting less that three hours, was first launched in county cricket in 2002.

It has since taken off domestically in South Africa, and Australia are planning a state competition next January.

New Zealand will stage the first men's international against Australia next month, and the Aussies are to play England at the Rose Bowl in June.

However, Holding has told his television employers he does not want to commentate on the shortened game.

"What is the point of telling youngsters to watch the game but not to copy the players' techniques?" he continued.

"There is nothing good about Twenty20 cricket. People who disagree don't know what they are talking about."

Langeveldt

Soutie
There will always be some who spit the dummy out..

Im fine with it in moderation.. Which probably means it will take over the world of cricket, and Holding will be right all along :)

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
Nah its never going to take over, they said the same about ODI's but I wonder how popular Cricket would be now if it wasn't for ODI's?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I found the thoroughly diplomatic finishing quote amusing:

"There is nothing good about Twenty20 cricket. People who disagree don't know what they are talking about."

So anyone who disagrees with him is an ignoramus... he such should take up chess with that sort of stunning logic and tactical nous.

Swervy

International Captain
one_dayer said:
How can it be 'rubbish' if it is so popular? I've never heard of popular rubbish. He loves a whinge does Mikey.
you never heard of Robbie Williams then??? :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Confrontational stuff, but frankly I'm inclined to agree with most of it. I don't loathe 20/20 and I won't refuse to watch it, but I am more than a little apprehensive about the impact it will have on proper cricket if it becomes extremely popular.

By the way, does anyone know of any high-profile players who say they enjoy playing it? Everybody I've seen comment on it so far who has actually played it in England speaks glowingly about the response from the public but either openly admit the players don't enjoy it much or dodge the question.

Swervy

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Confrontational stuff, but frankly I'm inclined to agree with most of it. I don't loathe 20/20 and I won't refuse to watch it, but I am more than a little apprehensive about the impact it will have on proper cricket if it becomes extremely popular.

By the way, does anyone know of any high-profile players who say they enjoy playing it? Everybody I've seen comment on it so far who has actually played it in England speaks glowingly about the response from the public but either openly admit the players don't enjoy it much or dodge the question.
Finals day last season....looked to me the players loved it

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
one_dayer said:
Adam Hollioake said it was his favourite form of Cricket. :D
Interesting. I saw an interview with Michael Clarke after he won the AB medal the other night, and he was asked about playing 20/20 cricket in England. He said that it was very popular and so on, and then said that he thought it was the sort of game the fans would enjoy a lot more than the players, who would rather play the longer forms of the game. Then he said that it would be good because it would bring new fans into the game etc etc.

I simply asked because I've heard quite a few players saying this sort of things, and in all the positive commentary on it of late I hadn't read anything saying that it was actually fun to play.

Link

State Vice-Captain
yeah in all interviews they allways say its good for the fans. They are pros and dead serious at winning it is a cup. Their nerves must take a battering every game

Langeveldt

Soutie
Just had the Twenty20 match at college cancelled, thanks to a severe traditionalist taking over the reigns..

I hate that, but my economy rate doesn't :)

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
Flintoff is a fan and Strauss said it helped improve his batting in the longer forms.

Run rate is now important in all forms of Cricket, its one of the reasons why England have been so successful on the Test arena in recent times.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
So anyone who disagrees with him is an ignoramus... he such should take up chess with that sort of stunning logic and tactical nous.
The point was to push a point home. I think he would be amused at anyone who is upset or offended by that, because it was likely a very much intentional comment.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The point was to push a point home. I think he would be amused at anyone who is upset or offended by that, because it was likely a very much intentional comment.
His point must be pretty weak though if he has to resort to using that kind of rubbish.. Even if it isn't exactly offensive

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I think it's important to remember that 20/20 is, essentially, a 'right here right now' type of cricket, kind of a throw-away game. You know, like it's not too important who wins, as long as it's played in the right spirit and the crowd gets entertained. I don't see how anyone can be so against it if it's more for entertainment than genuine rivalry ;)

And I'm still not convinced that 20/20 is merely a slogfest. It's only a slogfest if the bowlers don't bowl well; I firmly believe that while this game is tailored to batting, it will show up the bowlers who bowl a lot of crap balls as opposed to those who are able to bowl 4 overs of good, disciplined bowling. It may even teach those bowlers that are all over the place to bowl with more discipline.... :S

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Crazy Sam said:
I think it's important to remember that 20/20 is, essentially, a 'right here right now' type of cricket, kind of a throw-away game. You know, like it's not too important who wins, as long as it's played in the right spirit and the crowd gets entertained. I don't see how anyone can be so against it if it's more for entertainment than genuine rivalry ;)
It's all well and good when you're looking for some entertainment, but there's a time and a place.

When it starts pushing Test matches out of the picture (see WI in Aus), it's a problem.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Crazy Sam said:
. I don't see how anyone can be so against it if it's more for entertainment than genuine rivalry ;)
Then wouldn't it be better to go and watch a film or something? What is sport without the rivalry? Even practise nets have rivalry...

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
what i mean is that 20/20 is more about seeing good cricket, no matter who it comes from. sure, everyone is going to be backing their team and rightly so, but I would expect that the majority of crowds would go home knowing they've seen some great cricket played - both batting and bowling - whether it was from their side or the other.