• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian / National Team selection etc

anzac

International Debutant
most of the threads seem to deal with the performance or lack thereof of the playing XI, yet i have not seen any discussion regarding either the coach or selection process of the team!

i heard an interesting comment during some commentary last week that said that the national team coach has no input into the team selection. i don't know if this is just a current situation or is policy. either way i find this incredible!!!! i would have thought that the coach should be part of the selection process or at least consulted? does this situation exist in other national teams?

perhaps the team problems go much deeper than just on the field? maybe the selection process needs to be revised re national selection. further to this could there be issues re domestic coaching as a whole & does pitch preparation policy need to be revised?

a common observation seems to be batsmen holding the handle down low and a lack of pace & control re the seam bowlers. to me these are both indications of low, slow turning wickets. this may give you a tremendous advantage for Home Series, but is a distinct disadvantage when touring, as evident with both India and Sri Lanka.

both NZ & England have revamped their acadamy set ups, and NZ is also trying to change the type of pitches prepared for playing on - more bounce and pace. this is to encourage both the batsmen and bowlers and should result in better stroke play and the development of genuine pace bowlers. this way you can coach the skills to have the weapons to get the best out of the playing conditions. eg Australian seam bowlers regularly get more pace & bounce out of wickets, even than local bowlers on away tours, because they tend to bowl into the pitch as opposed to along the top of it.

i am not advocating that every nation should be preparing the same type of pitch, as variety is the spice of life - would be boring otherwise. (I think this would be impossible to do anyway because of the different soil & climatic conditions.)

any thoughts??????

:)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you can see the success of the NZ Academy at the moment, they're at least competing with the Australians & soundly beating the South Africans so thats good news.

Im not sure what the Indian set up is like, but its obviously not working at the moment.

anzac

International Debutant
further to that there are already graduates of the system in the senior squad although not all are current 1st choice

from memory the list includes the likes of:
Vincent, Franklin, McCullum, Adams & others

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well, they must be doing something right to have youngsters like Sehwag and Patel coming through. But, granted, they seem to struggle on quicker pitches and if John Wright isn't involved in selection at all, that's ludicrous.