• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You have been elected to the International Cricket Council

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scenario:

You have been elected to the International Cricket Council to revitilise the dying game of cricket. You are aloud to post one idea and one idea only for both test cricket and one day international cricket. Your ideas can be as radical as possible, but you are only aloud one. You are aloud to debate each others ideas, but can not change your idea after hearing someone elses. The International Cricket Council will select the best idea which will be implemented for games starting 1st of January 2006, and the winner will get to watch as many games as the person chooses at the 2007 World Cup.

Post ideas.

Mister Wright

My Idea for test cricket:

I like to call it Test 350.

How it works:

Each team gets to bat in the first innings until they have scored 350, the other team then gets to bat their first innings to 350. Once the first innings are completed the teams resume where they were for the first innings, and the players who haven't batted in their first innings can still bat, and bat again in the 2nd innings. Games are still played over 5 days.

Positives: Both teams have advantage of the wicket in the first 2-3 days. The team that is able to keep more wickets in hand will have an advantage.

Negatives: Purists will be throwing up everywhere.

My idea for One Day cricket.

New ball at 40 overs.

How it works:

The fielding team is offered a new ball at the completion of the 39th over, the fielding captain can reject or accept the new ball. This could either backfire or work in the captains favour, and will allow the more astute captains who can negotiate their bowling orders well, better service.

Positives: Will add excitement in the last 40 overs, especially if a team is cruising along, it could add some spice to a seemingly easy run chase. It could also mean teams bring up totals well before the 40th over, rather than dragging it out over 42 or 45 overs.

Negatives: You tell me.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
Scenario:

You have been elected to the International Cricket Council to revitilise the dying game of cricket. You are aloud to post one idea and one idea only for both test cricket and one day international cricket. Your ideas can be as radical as possible, but you are only aloud one. You are aloud to debate each others ideas, but can not change your idea after hearing someone elses. The International Cricket Council will select the best idea which will be implemented for games starting 1st of January 2006, and the winner will get to watch as many games as the person chooses at the 2007 World Cup.

Post ideas.
Is the game dying though? Seems pretty healthy in England. Attendences are higher than they've been for years. (Mainly down to Twenty20 making people goto the longer forms of the game, but thats what it aim was anyway).

As for one rule. Id totally re-write the bad light rule. As its pathetic atm. Too inconsistant. Play should be allowed under floodlights and they should only go off if its properly too dark to see. Not just cos 1 team is in a difficult situation and wants to get off for the day.

Mister Wright

SpaceMonkey said:
Is the game dying though? Seems pretty healthy in England. Attendences are higher than they've been for years. (Mainly down to Twenty20 making people goto the longer forms of the game, but thats what it aim was anyway).

As for one rule. Id totally re-write the bad light rule. As its pathetic atm. Too inconsistant. Play should be allowed under floodlights and they should only go off if its properly too dark to see. Not just cos 1 team is in a difficult situation and wants to get off for the day.
I don't think it is dying, it was just used for the scenario.

Steulen

International Regular
Test cricket idea: play in pyjamas and under lights

ODI cricket idea: allow double play (i.e., two-wicket run-outs off the same ball)

And if I say them really quietly instead of aloud, am I allowed a few ideas more?

DAF

Cricket Spectator
OK first post!

I agree that in Australia and England Test Cricket seems pretty strong with good attendances at most Test grounds. There does seem to be an issue with attendances at other places around the world, especially South Africa where grounds were often nearly empty during the recent England and South African Test series.

One idea that we had a few years ago here in Australian domestic cricket was day-night First Class games. The idea was that people could go to the games in the evening when it was more convenient.

Although there are a number of problems that would have to be sorted out including the colour of the ball and the issue of changing batting and fielding conditions under lights, day-night tests is one for the future.

Mister Wright

Steulen said:
Test cricket idea: play in pyjamas and under lights

ODI cricket idea: allow double play (i.e., two-wicket run-outs off the same ball)

And if I say them really quietly instead of aloud, am I allowed a few ideas more?
The point of only having one idea, was to really think about it. But I don't think people will get too fussed if you post another one, what we don't want is someone coming up with 500 ideas, and drowning other people out (it could be the school teacher in me) but I'd rather everyone contributes and everone discusses equally. I feel we could get some really good ideas to come out of this thread.

anzac

International Debutant
I'm afraid my thinking is a bit more on the basic side as opposed to anything specifically for Test or ODI cricket..............

I'd like to see the ICC be more pro-active in it's decision making on issues that have haunted this great game in recent times (IMO their ineptness must have put a lot of fringe supporters & players off the game).............

I'd also like to see a definative guideline for Countries to gain Test status akin to their 10 year Test plan (including infrastructure & resurces - as IMO Test Status should be the pinnacle of the game & should be a privalege not a right)..............

I'd like to see LESS cricket on the international calendar as again IMO the amount of cricket being played is almost an overkill and is making things very difficult for 'newbies' / 'minnows' - IMO 2 Test series are an abomination as there is little chance for any 'real' contest, and the lack of Tour matches makes it difficult for smaller nations to develop player depth at the highest level by giving them prolonged or consistant exposure..........in this instance IMO the 'more' cricket being played in the current era is NOT resulting in 'better' cricket so far as overall standards are concerned.........

I'd also like to see their marketing of the game become a bit more intelligent - eg instead of trying to convert the USA to accept cricket as the majority of world supporters enjoy it (Tests & ODIs), why not bring them closer to the fold by giving them something more akin to their tastes (short attention span, instant gratification, **** loads of action etc etc) i.e. 20/20...........much the same as football had to change slightly to gain USA attention..............

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
I would allow the 12th man to play as a player so the teams could play the extra bowler or batsman and limit each innings to a maximum of 100 overs so scoring fast increases the teams chances. Games would only be four and a half days but the 5th day can be used for making up lost time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow this is an absolutely brilliant topic. Although hate to be picky but its 'allowed' not 'aloud' in regards to how you used the word. ;) Anyway...

ODI Idea

New Ball after 30 overs

Well, immediately when I read this topic, my idea for ODI cricket was a new ball after 30 overs. I just read Mister Wright's idea, and though I think a new ball at the 40th over would be great, it wouldn't solve the whole 'boring' aspect of the overs from the 15th-40th which people often complain about (me personally I don't have too much of a problem with it, but it is a problem). By offering the new ball after 30 overs, you will limit the amount of part-time/bits-and-pieces garbage going on in the middle stage, and will possibly allow for the opening bowlers to return much sooner than usual. The new ball can be rejected at the 30th over and taken up later if wished by the captain, just like the test cricket rule after 80 overs. Personally I think this would be great, because you'd be often seeing 2-4 slips at the 30th over. Something I've always thought would be great.

Test Idea

More Seaming Wickets/Dustbowls

Simple really. I just want more assistance for the bowlers. Now not necessarily to the degree of the Mumbai pitch in India for the fourth test or the New Zealand wickets back in 2002/03, but I want some tough hard-yakka pitches which cause the batsman to struggle, and really dig in to score. Now these do pop up now and again, but not often enough.

I personally enjoy test matches which have scorelines such as:

Team A 1st Innings: 345 all out
Team B 1st Innings: 288 all out
Team A 2nd Innings: 215 all out
Team B 2nd Innings: 8/273

Winner: Team B

If we were to see scores like that more often, with awesome last day chases, Test cricket would prosper more IMO. Yeah we'd see the Chanderpaul, Dravid, Hussain and other innings more rather than your Haydens and Gilchrists, but IMO it would be balanced. You'd still have your 400-500 run wickets, as well as your 200-350s.

anzac

International Debutant
andyc said:
not so far as the global game went, but certainly so far as the fledgeling domestic game in the USA at that time.............

the Yanks couldn't get the hang of drawn results - too boring for them as none of their major sports has anything like that result - someone always wins on the day.........

so to compensate they had the 30yd shootout at the end of normal time instead of penalties...............something along the lines of the player gets the ball at the 30 yd line and advances to another line b4 they can shoot at goal, while the 'keeper is allowed to advance off his goal line a certain distance - all within a designated timeframe..........and alternative turns for the teams as in a penalty shootout..........

not sure how it loks now with their success in the 'normal' game over the past decade..........

Scaly piscine

For ODIs I would simply increase the minimum number of fielders in the circle from 4 to 6 from 16 to 50 overs, 3 boundary fielders is more than enough I feel if a bowler bowls well and it would fully reward good or adventurous shots for a change.

For Tests I would allow a new ball to be taken after 50 overs, obviously a captain can still decide to keep the old ball for as long as he likes. Just as batsmen are always on the attack that would give the bowlers something to attack back with more often.

For the game overall I'd like to see the hapless ICC do something meaningful over slow over rates (they seem to ignore them in Tests completely, Vaughan took 15 or so overs out of the 5th Test on day 2 with an over rate just over 12 an hour) and the bad light farce which occurs most Test matches.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I think the whole problem with cricket atm is the dominance of australia. Otherwise, I dont think there are any problems. If every team improves then that will be the best.

Anyway for ideas:

Test: I wouldn't do anything here.

ODIs: break it up into 2 innings of 25 overs each.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
kwek said:
some great ideas there guys.
Steulen..ur from holland 2! who are you?
Wow. I thought there were 15 million + people in The Netherlands; do you guys all know each other individually? :D

That must mean everyone in NZ is related...actually, now I mention it.... ;)

Seriously tho, to broaden cricket's appeal to the non-cricketing world I would propose the following (some of which I've borrowed shamelessly from another bat & ball sport):

1) Allow teams to have different line-ups for batting & fielding;
2) A batter has to play a scoring shot after three legitimate balls or he's out;
3) End leg-byes;
4) Allow balls that pitch outside leg to be given as LBWs, that the ball would hit the stumps should be the only criteria.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
and there are only 6000 crickets...and i figured out that he might plays for hcc which is 5 miles away from me :P so yeah i might know him

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Wow. I thought there were 15 million + people in The Netherlands; do you guys all know each other individually? :D

That must mean everyone in NZ is related...actually, now I mention it.... ;)

Seriously tho, to broaden cricket's appeal to the non-cricketing world I would propose the following (some of which I've borrowed shamelessly from another bat & ball sport):

1) Allow teams to have different line-ups for batting & fielding;
2) A batter has to play a scoring shot after three legitimate balls or he's out;
3) End leg-byes;
4) Allow balls that pitch outside leg to be given as LBWs, that the ball would hit the stumps should be the only criteria.
1) yes I think that is a good one
2) Some of the more exciting cricket in tests can be when no scoring shots are made,when teams are really grinding it out. And would we not see bowlers getting wickets all the time, scores would be very low I think
3) possibly
4) oooh..I dont know about that one..maybe would take away the need for bowers to swing the ball...more crappy bowlers getting good figures and all that

anyway..I cant think of any ideas myself