• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Congrats India.

The main reasons for victory I think were the performance of Dravid and Bangar on the first day, wayward England bowling and decent Indian bowling.

I thought Hussain's second innings knock was a great one, even though he couldn't save the match.

I read somebody saying that Parthiv Patel should be removed 'cause he dropped two catches. I think he is a good keeper!!. Everybody makes mistakes. That young lad has played just two matches. He performed much over my expectations atleast.
(first time I'm seeing somebody younger than me at international level too.. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that Parthiv Patel will be a fixture in the Indian side for many years to come. Sure, he dropped a couple of catches, but his basic technique is sound, he is an effervescent character and seems to be very much under the wing of Ganguly and Tendulkar.
Witness yesterday when he was obviously immobilised by injury - the skipper insisted that he stay on so that he could have a taste of victory first-hand, rather than viewing it from the stands. Same with Robert Key - you can tell when a player looks as though he 'belongs' at this level (and it's not just about performances in his first two games).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
At last...a comprehensive victory...it's a wonderful feeling for an Indian supporter. Let's hope this feeling lasts till the end of the fourth test.

The "big three" are in great form right now, especially Dravid. Laxman hasn't contributed much in the last 2 tests, but I don't think he is out of form or anything like that.

I think Patel should be persisted with as he is a long term hope. The only pity is that they won't drop Agarkar now that India has won so convincingly. Granted, he bowled much better than in the previous two tests, he still is not a good enough bowler at test level and I feel Yohannan should be given a chance.

As far as England is concerned, their bowlers have to come back to line and length basics(I saw a statistic which said they bowled 39% of their deliveries short and 10% too full which on this kind of pitch is a crime) and also show some patience in adversity and they can revive their fortunes in the last test.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I take your point.

The 10% too full is quite acceptable - on a seaming wicket like Headingley, you have to get it up there and a swinging half-volley is (or can be) a dangerous delivery.

The big problem - and one which I have been at great pains to emphasise ever since the first few overs at Trent Bridge - is the high percentage of deliveries which were woefully short. It was almost as though England were going to use the pitched-up delivery as a shock tactic.