• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Forgive me if my assessment is wrong, but methinks that Nasser has changed his name to Viv.

In order to bounce a team out, perm any two from the following :

Croft
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Patterson
Holder
Julien
Roberts
Ambrose
Walsh

and one or two others I could mention.
Can't find Tudor &co in the list anywhere.

Rich2001

International Captain
Forgive me if my assessment is wrong, but methinks that Nasser has changed his name to Viv.

In order to bounce a team out, perm any two from the following :

Croft
Croft - wow are spinners are lethal afterall ;) :D

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
i think the squad i predicted was almost right , only thing was that agarkar was kept in again 2 spinners used and parthiv used ( rightly ) i guess

Good opening day by India but 1 day doesnt say anything yet ..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich, if you put in long and mid offs, the temptation to drive is lessened.

Leave the gaps and induce the edge I say.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nasser's planning in the field is as follows:

1. No third man.
2. Change the field by placing a man to where the ball was last hit.
3. er
4. that's it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
This gets my vote for the most pathetic, spineless, unimaginative bowling I have seen by an England side since, er, Trent Bridge.

Seriously, the conditions are still favouring the bowlers so Freddie is back on, round the wicket trying to long-hop Sachin out.

As the score approaches 400 and Sachin just on-drives Giles to go to his fabulous ton, I wonder where it is going to end. Don't know where, but I suspect WHEN - sometime round about lunch tomorrow.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I am just watching the live scores on cricinfo, so I am unable to understand why Tendulkar and Ganguly are batting ever so slowly. I would have thought, having reached a position of strength, they would have accelerated the scoring and reached a total with which they can declare today(or maybe in an hour tomorrow morning) and start bowling at the tired Englishmen.

Is the ball still swinging a lot and is Giles still bowling 4-5 feet outside leg-stump...? I mean, Giles bowling on the stumps should have been pasted by both batsmen by now.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have nothing positive to say about either England's team selection or the application of the bowlers today.

As far as the captaincy is concerned, this was the most negative display I have ever seen by an England skipper (and I go back a long way).

The final insult was to appeal against the light (I may be wrong here, but that's what it looked like).

I can understand throwing in the towel at the end of the day, but England didn't even appear to have a towel with them at the start. Too short, too wide, too predictable, too bad.

Flintoff bowled 1 spell of 3 overs, and 17 out of the 18 deliveries were pitched in his own half - and that was before lunch.

As far as Giles bowling 1-2 feet outside leg stump, forget it.

It's the first time I've ever seen a side trying to play for a draw at 12.00 on day 2.

OK, I have something positive to say about the bowling. They carried out the captain's instructions to the letter.

If England lose this match, who will pay? Those same bowlers who were meticulous in carrying out Hussain's instructions.

That makes me sick!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
P.S.

A word on India. Your players have done you proud today.

I hope the enterprise shown throughout the day (and particularly in the gloom at the end) is rewarded.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the Indians have done a great job in the batting department. England got a taste of how it must be to bowl like the Indians. It looks like they will probably bat another hour tomorrow before declaring, possibly giving a chance to Tendulkar to complete his double.

It's all up to the Indian bowlers. They have no excuses this time and if they don't put the ball in the right spot consistently, England will easily hold on for a high-scoring draw.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Hoggard justifies his place at #5 in the world rankings, he can be brilliant on seaming pitches but on any other pitch he looks just like an average first class bowler at best as proven by Nathan Astle on the last day of the 1st test in Christchurch.

Flintoff can be quick at times but I think he needs more variation or he'll be picked off by the better batsmen.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
India has a golden chance to win this test, its going to be up to the bowlers to support their batsmen.

I doubt the Indian bowlers will be feeling too confident at the moment going on previous form, but 3 or 4 quick wickets in a session can change all of that.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Good job Indian batsmen, headingly produces results and if ever India had a chance to win this is it.

I think of all the heroics, Ganguly's innings has to be the most important (Sachin makes big scores on most series, and he was due for this type of an innings). This should be a huge boost for him and his captaincy, as well as a good morale booster.

But all things considered, this is still far from over, a similar big innings from England, and its headed for a dull draw.

Indian bowling needs to show some inspiration, perhaps they should take heart from the captain. An off the cuff idea would be, that if bowlers fail, tendulkar and Ganguly himself should be given a fair chance to bowl. Many times its surprising how batsmen successful in a match end up doing well with the ball too. Also, since becoming captain Ganguly hasnt been bwoling that much (although he in the past he used to surprise many times) perhaps a little gun shy?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Yes, I think Ganguly should bowl a lot in this match because he used to be quite a bowler when conditions are heavy and overcast with a lot of movement.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
How many more runs does Tendulkar needs to score to break all the records of total Runs ?

Great Batting performance by india on day 2 , i think it happens all the time in times of desperation when India need to win they play like they never played before but when they are on a roll , they break apart .. am i right ?

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Quite true Rueben. That's how India always play. good when desperate, worse than bad when they are on a roll.

Yesterday was marvelous. Long time since I've seen something like this from India. I thought Hussain was a much better captain than what he did yesterday.

The last few overs were quality entertainment. As Boycott put it "Murder in the Darkness" by Tendulkar and Ganguly

Well done India.

I beg to the Indian bowlers to bowl atleast fairly well to give us a chance...

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Great going by india, by the way this was thorough domination by the indians.

The 'big three' all getting centuries very suspicious ;)

Really now its upto the bowlers to get 20 wickets and win the match for india.

[Edited on 8/24/02 by Gotchya]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
*Looks to the skies*

Sorely in need of some rain, and quick! Since that Kumble over where Vaughan should have been out LBW, India have been hugely on top. What's needed now (other than rain...) is for Stewart and Crawley to really dig in and at worst make close of play. If we lose another one or two, then India will really have their tails up, Harbhajan and Kumble on a turning pitch will kill us. Because we can't play spin.

Something amazing needs to happen now. And Quick.

Maybe the selectors will learn that their "Surrey Policy" isn't right now. Useless bunch of Gravenies (is that the plural, LE?)