• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India v Pakistan

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Indo-Pak cricket

I have given a list of special moments from the Indo-Pak cricketing rivalry. Some of them might be sweet/bitter for rival fans. This was an old thread which was initiated sometime back. I guess this will give a good appetizer for the Indo-Pak series.
Please feel free to add your own stories or instances.

The speech by Asif Iqbal in Chennai after losing the series 0-2 in 1979. He was sportive enough to admit that “better side has won” though Ifthikar Ahmed asked him not to do the same since Zia-Ul-Haq was watching the telecast.

Sadiq Mohammed asking for a helmet in 1978 at Faisalabad after seeing the pace of Kapil.

India bowling out Pakistan for 87 to defend 125 in the 1985 Rothmans trophy.

Sachin Tendulkar hitting Abdul Qadir out of the ground in Peshawar in 1989.

Sachin Tendulkar playing bravely after getting hit on his nose by a Waqar Younis snorter in Sialkot in 1989.

Redefinition of pin drop silence at National stadium, Karachi when Rajesh Chauhan hit that heroic six off Saqlain Mushtaq in 1997.

The farce at Sahiwal in 1978 when the umpires decided to let Sarfraz Nawaz play “Cricket” when India was coasting for a series win in ODI series.

Javed Miandad asking Sachin Tendulkar to go home and do the school homework in the test series in 1989 in Pakistan.

Ajay Jadeja’s attack on Waqar Younis in the 1996 WC Quarter finals at Bangalore.

Sachin Tendulkar’s upper cut six of Shoaib Akthar in WC 2003 at Centurion.

Pakistan winning the memorable Bangalore test in 1987.

Pakistan getting that unforgettable thunderous ovation from the Chennai crowd after the 1999 win.

Salim Malik’s assault on Maninder and Kapil at Eden Gardens in the second ODI in 1987.

Shoaib Akthar’s two unplayable yorkers to Rahul and Sachin at Eden Gardens in 1999.

The assault by Sohail and Anwar in the early part of Bangalore quarter finals in 1996, which allowed the sound of a dropped pin to be heard in Beijing.

Javed Miandad asking Dilip Doshi his room number repeatedly in the field so that he can hit the ball to his room.

Kapil Dev ridiculing Asif Iqbal in 1985 after India’s famous Rothmans cup win over Pakistan in Sharjah only to be shut up for the next 6 years (Kapil has apparently told Asif “How many times will you bring Pakistan here to lose to us”).

The evacuation of Eden Gardens in 1999 to enable Pakistan to complete the formalities.

Vasu Paranjpe (Sunny’s coach) teaching Sunil Gavaskar about the timing of Hanif Mohammed. “When Hanif hits the ball in the Bradbourne Stadium the “Tok” sound will be heard at the Churchgate station )

Ravi Shatri and Javed Miandad slapping each other in the dressing room (Both sides shared the same dressing room at Fateh Maidan) after the Indian win in an ODI in Hyderabad in 1987.

Zaheer Abbas' astounding success against India in the 78-79 series and the 4th innings chase in Karachi in the same series when they made 164 in 24 odd overs with Miandad, Asif Iqbal and Imran playing a big part.

In addition, Ijaz Ahmed's 139n.o in 84 balls was one of the most destructive innings seen in One Day cricket. This was in Lahore in 1997.

Maindad's imitation of Indian wicket keeper's jumping and over apealing during the World-Cup clash in 92.

Imran Khan calling back Srikanth after given out by umpires and then being caught behind on very next ball

Gavaskar scoring his 10,000th test match run at Ahmedabad of the bowling of Ijaz Fakih.

Gavasker's over, in which he imitated the actions of 6 different great bowlers during 1984.

Pakistan declaring a national holiday after winning the 1978 series against India at home.

Saeed Anwar hitting 3 sixes off Anil Kumble during his 194 at Chennai

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bapu Rao Swami said:
Indo-Pak cricket

Javed Miandad asking Sachin Tendulkar to go home and do the school homework in the test series in 1989 in Pakistan.
LMAO! Hey I saw a picture of ganguly and Inzi acting in this commercial for the Indo-pak series dressed like warriors...That'd be a treat to watch but I'm wondering on what channel it would come on since the BCCI hasn't even given away the TV rights..strange..

Attachments

Last edited:

Choora

State Regular
Bapu Rao Swami said:
Indo-Pak cricket

Ravi Shatri and Javed Miandad slapping each other in the dressing room (Both sides shared the same dressing room at Fateh Maidan) after the Indian win in an ODI in Hyderabad in 1987.
I never knew that Ravi and Miandad ever got physical, do you really mean that they slapped each other in anger or was it a joke?

Choora

State Regular
shoot_me said:
LMAO! Hey I saw a picture of ganguly and Inzi acting in this commercial for the Indo-pak series dressed like warriors...That'd be a treat to watch but I'm wondering on what channel it would come on since the BCCI hasn't even given away the TV rights..strange..
I think Inzi looks great in his new getup, maybe Hollywwod should make a sequel to Gladiator and Inzi should be the hero :D

Vikas Bhatt

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Choora said:
I think Inzi looks great in his new getup, maybe Hollywwod should make a sequel to Gladiator and Inzi should be the hero :D
I storyboarded all the 4 Indo-Pak promo sports films, the ones that you mentioned that are Gladiator like. Inzy and Ganguly dress up as Mughal E Azam Moghuls and face off in 4 arenas that is Hockey, Football, Boxing and Cricket and the two dancing to the ancient Indian martial arts Kalaripayyat [But I have a feeling this film may be scrapped.] I think LG Electronics is behind it, but I never asked the Australian film director handling the films about it!

I wonder how they will get Inzy to jump rythmically to Kalaripayyat is beyond me!

:D

Last edited:
Somehow i have a feeling that Sachin Tendulkar is not really eager to play the series and isn't really looking forward to it. Maybe i'm wrong but from Sachin's statement it looks as if he's not that much interested.

Bouncer

State Regular
akhter or No Akhter, i think Rao is going to be a very Important guy for this tour, in the second final he bowled a longer first spell, and ended up with 33 runs in ten overs, i think the pressure of Indian tour can really Polish his talent and presense of Waqar Younis as coach will add alot to his young talent!

Vikas Bhatt

Bouncer said:
One of my friends said "And it’s not like we haven’t defeated India enough. I think we’ve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."
Hmmm, Maybe then your friend could also give us some inside info about how many of those were fixed? [Especially Sharjah!]

:p :blink: :p

Bouncer

State Regular
Bapu Rao Swami said:
Indo-Pak cricket

B.R.S, what happen there, can u tell us little more about that incident? somehow i have never heard of it(well i am sure i am half of ur age too):)

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Bapu Rao Swami said:
Indo-Pak cricket

In addition, Ijaz Ahmed's 139n.o in 84 balls was one of the most destructive innings seen in One Day cricket. This was in Lahore in 1997.

Maindad's imitation of Indian wicket keeper's jumping and over apealing during the World-Cup clash in 92.

Imran Khan calling back Srikanth after given out by umpires and then being caught behind on very next ball

Saeed Anwar hitting 3 sixes off Anil Kumble during his 194 at Chennai
SOME OF MT FAVORITE MOMENTS OF CRICKET ,i wonder what srikant felt after that lol

ReallyCrazy

Banned
In the '96 WC, I loved it when Aamer Sohail smashed Prasad for a 4, then mocked him and asked him to fetch the ball so that he can do it again. But then he got bowled and Prasad pointed to the pavilion :D

Vikas Bhatt

My favourite Indo-PaK Moments:

Aamir Sohail getting bowled by Venkatesh Prasad in the 1996 World Cup Quarter Final.

Pakistan losing the Dhaka finals after failing to defend 314.

Kumble getting a 10/10 at New Delhi.

Pakistan getting reduced to 28/5 at Colombo in Asia Cup 1997 before rain saves them a humiliating defeat.

Ganguly winning 4 consecutive Man Of The Matches against Pakistan.

Rajesh Chavan's last over 6 off Saqlain Mushtaq in a ODI in Pakistan in 1997.

India winning all 4 World Cup matches comfortably.

Sachin Tendulkar's savage attack against Shoaib Akhter in the last World Cup.

Shaoib Akhter getting tonked in the last test series in Pakistan.

India winning both the league and the final matches against Imran Khan's team at Benson & Hedges Cup down under, after India won the World Cup!

Last edited:

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
My indo-pak favorites:

>Miandad's last ball six

>Pakistan winning test match in Chennai

>Pakistan winning on sept 19th

>Pakistan winning in Holland last year

>Pakistan winning in the indian cricket boards jubilee

>Shoiab bowling tendulkar for a first ball duck

>Saeed Anwars 194 aginst india in india.

>Pakistan beating india in 58 odi matches :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
They are all memorable moments, well most of them anyway, but whats sad is that Indian supporters find only Pakistan getting the stick as hilarious and memorable and vice versa. I know how it is at that moment but over time one is able to look back fondly and with nostalgia at al the awkward moments one has found oneself in and its time Indian and Pakistani fans learnt this.

I am a product of the immediate post partition generation , born 3 years after the partition, but I dont mind pulling Chetan sharma's leg over his famous 'Javed delivery' and have a guffaw over it. You guys need to grow up.

Sehwag309

Banned
I actually didn't get the point SJS, but things seem cool anyways

Many are very young here..adrelanin level is high, maybe over period of time they can mature over such things

But little fun is no harm as long as it's in control

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag309 said:
I actually didn't get the point SJS, but things seem cool anyways

Many are very young here..adrelanin level is high, maybe over period of time they can mature over such things

But little fun is no harm as long as it's in control
You may be right there.

One has seen so much of bad blood that maybe now when things are improving between the people even a little bit of ribbing makes one feel apprehensive.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well sjs International Cricket is becoming more and more strict day by day....Icc are very concerned about this... But one thing iam not clear is why ICC are very strict in Disciplinary matters with Asian crickets in particular... We see many getting penalised even for a small glitch but it is not so with non-asian cricketers...

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dudeurfriend said:
Well sjs International Cricket is becoming more and more strict day by day....Icc are very concerned about this... But one thing iam not clear is why ICC are very strict in Disciplinary matters with Asian crickets in particular... We see many getting penalised even for a small glitch but it is not so with non-asian cricketers...
Let's not start the whole black vs white thing again in cricket. Both sides make very valid points but normally the argument goes nasty very quickly.

Bouncer said:
akhter or No Akhter, i think Rao is going to be a very Important guy for this tour, in the second final he bowled a longer first spell, and ended up with 33 runs in ten overs, i think the pressure of Indian tour can really Polish his talent and presense of Waqar Younis as coach will add alot to his young talent!

A fan of Rao.... Wow :blink: .

The pacer would struggle to get into Pak test team in the first place, and if he does that, he would wish he had never played against India :p