• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India v Pakistan

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Arjun said:
Balaji's batting is a point of interest. On another forum, they were discussing the way he found gaps in the field and looked for quick singles, scoring a lot faster than the 'infamous' VVS Laxman, who, according to one, should have supported Balaji by giving him the strike. Seems to have batted well at that position. He should be encouraged to go for bigger, quicker scores and may be more useful than certain wicketkeepers picked only for batting.
Yes, Yes definitely Arjun. balaji should be promoted to opener now. What wonderful insight you possess.
All Indian batsmen should hit more sixes as well.

Also players should take work out in a gymnasium 24 hrs a day so that they get more POWER so that they can hit even more sixes.

Arjun, I bow to your genius. :p

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
What works for Jim need not necessarily work for Tom, Arjun. People are different and not everyone is going to gain pace by modifying their action. And I won't advise it, at any rate, esp. if the cost could be their accuracy. A couple of the commentators felt that the reason the Indian seamers are swinging the ball more is because of their lack of pace, allowing the ball to grip the surface.
Modified actions can increase pace without using too much muscle. In the recent past, the Indian pacers have been trying to use their body to gain pace and tried a lot harder, result in loss of accuracy and recurring injuries. As for accuracy, all they need is practice. Besides, they will be more accurate if they are comfortable with the action.

They were getting the ball to grip the surface and move, but there was something in it for them. What if it was a typical slogfest ODI pitch? A lot of these swing bowlers have struggled in such places, since their effect is reduced. On the other hand, a pace bowler can pose a threat anywhere, adding variety as well as attack power to a bowling lineup. The presence of swing bowlers is no doubt good, but the attack will be a lot stronger if there is someone who can bowl in the 140's regularly without much discomfort.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Arjun said:
Modified actions can increase pace without using too much muscle. In the recent past, the Indian pacers have been trying to use their body to gain pace and tried a lot harder, result in loss of accuracy and recurring injuries. As for accuracy, all they need is practice. Besides, they will be more accurate if they are comfortable with the action.

They were getting the ball to grip the surface and move, but there was something in it for them. What if it was a typical slogfest ODI pitch? A lot of these swing bowlers have struggled in such places, since their effect is reduced. On the other hand, a pace bowler can pose a threat anywhere, adding variety as well as attack power to a bowling lineup. The presence of swing bowlers is no doubt good, but the attack will be a lot stronger if there is someone who can bowl in the 140's regularly without much discomfort.
The keyword there was 'discomfort'. I am yet to come across an Indian bowler who can bowl fast without discomfort. And by discomfort, I mean bad direction too.

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Unattainableguy said:
He was managing a slightly worse average before the 2004 Pakistan season!

And you tell me why Balaji is not "less than mediocre" with the same average( in tests 44 and ODIs 36) as Nehra when he is.
balaji's pace has really impressed me and actually nehra's average is 42 and balaji's current test average is 33 (cricinfo live career stats). but no u must be rite, he just got 8 wickets with pure luck. the wind must have forced the ball to go towards the stumps. people go gaga when pathan takes 5 wickets against bangladesh. with balaji, even if he takes another 5 wicket-haul tomorrow, there are some people who will still say he just got lucky.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It could be anyone....but he should bowl fast naturally, so that he lasts longer and keeps a proper line and length. He could be anywhere in the country, even in a Tier II team. Srinath was genuinely quick, but he could put that pace to good use later in his career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the biggest factor for Balaji impressing so many guys, even when he wasn't doing all that well was his attitude. I think Sourav esp. was extremely impressed with his readiness to do the rough work and his fighting spirit and that is why he kept defending him, even during poor performances.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
I think the biggest factor for Balaji impressing so many guys, even when he wasn't doing all that well was his attitude. I think Sourav esp. was extremely impressed with his readiness to do the rough work and his fighting spirit and that is why he kept defending him, even during poor performances.
An opportunist should capitalise on this- he can be effective with ball, bat or on field, but needs a lot more encouragement. Maybe he can do a Joginder Sharma act.....

ReallyCrazy

Banned
It would be a shame if India don't manage to win from here. I expect another Balaji 5-wicket haul tomorrow.

What changes do you guys think Pakistan should make for the second test? I think Yasir Hammed should come in place of Salman Butt. Younis Khan should be dropped and Afridi should come in. And one of Youhana, Inzamam or Asim Kamal should bat at number 3.

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well anyway, Pakistan ended with a lead of just over 50, with 6 wickets down. At best, Pakistan can manage another 50 runs, 80 if you're an optimistic Pakistani supporter. Their lower order batting isn't the best around (Kaneria, Rana & Sami). so even if Pakistan bats the entire 1st session, scoring another 100, that leaves India with a not-so-difficult target of 150, with 2 sessions remaining.

Being an Indian supporter, I am very happy with the way Indian Test Match Cricket is going now, after SA's tour. The future looks really bright. Balaji's performance has really opened up the bowling department, and we must commend the management and the captain's brave decision is keeping a man with Harbhajan's ability out of the match. That showed confidence in the young Balaji, and he has not let the country down.

Keep it up!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
arjwiz said:
Well anyway, Pakistan ended with a lead of just over 50, with 6 wickets down. At best, Pakistan can manage another 50 runs, 80 if you're an optimistic Pakistani supporter. Their lower order batting isn't the best around (Kaneria, Rana & Sami).
Kaneria isn't much good, but Rana and Sami can certainly handle a bat better than most, and they have a decent pair in there now. I can't think of many other sides that have decent batsmen down to 10... maybe India and New Zealand when they are at full strength.

twctopcat

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Kaneria isn't much good, but Rana and Sami can certainly handle a bat better than most, and they have a decent pair in there now. I can't think of many other sides that have decent batsmen down to 10... maybe India and New Zealand when they are at full strength.
**cough** harmison and hoggard. :D

bhajji24

Banned
laxman is class

Arjun said:
Balaji's batting is a point of interest. On another forum, they were discussing the way he found gaps in the field and looked for quick singles, scoring a lot faster than the 'infamous' VVS Laxman, who, according to one, should have supported Balaji by giving him the strike. Seems to have batted well at that position. He should be encouraged to go for bigger, quicker scores and may be more useful than certain wicketkeepers picked only for batting.
u stupid piece of **** laxman played a very classy knock of 58 & played with the tail quite well ,if not for him ***** would probably lead by 100 instead of 50 by now,so your pre-series predictions of him being dropped r once again exposed & like i predicted & ganguly felt too laxman would bat brillantly well in this series;i can see him score a century or 2 in the remaining 2 tests :D

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
bhajji24 said:
u stupid piece of **** laxman played a very classy knock of 58 & played with the tail quite well ,if not for him ***** would probably lead by 100 instead of 50 by now
dude calm down

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
bhajji24 said:
u stupid piece of **** laxman played a very classy knock of 58 & played with the tail quite well ,if not for him ***** would probably lead by 100 instead of 50 by now,so your pre-series predictions of him being dropped r once again exposed & like i predicted & ganguly felt too laxman would bat brillantly well in this series;i can see him score a century or 2 in the remaining 2 tests :D
Any chance of your not abusing people?

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
who do u guys think will be man of the match? my bet's on balaji if he gets a couple of wickets today.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
ReallyCrazy said:
What changes do you guys think Pakistan should make for the second test? I think Yasir Hammed should come in place of Salman Butt. Younis Khan should be dropped and Afridi should come in. And one of Youhana, Inzamam or Asim Kamal should bat at number 3.
Although i dont think it would really matter whoever comes in place of salman, taufeeq or younis khan as it will like always depend upon youhana and inzamam to do the scoring, but i think salman butt should be given more chance, younis khan should be dropped and yasir hameed should replace his one-down place.....i think pakistan have got really big problems for the opening slot, they keep on failing consistently which creates pressure for the middle order...and i cant see any solution to it at the moment as we have very less options to consider.

wahindiawah

Banned
honestbharani said:
. Surely, a trip to the MRF Pace Foundation and a meeting with Lillee and Sekhar will do him no harm.
He spend two years with W's and learnt nothing, what is Lillee going to teach him now? Dennis is not a magician, lot depends on pupil alone and Sami is a proven idiot.

wahindiawah

Banned
ReallyCrazy said:
It would be a shame if India don't manage to win from here. I expect another Balaji 5-wicket haul tomorrow.

India will be one way, that for sure (unless it rains all day long).

I don't think Pakistan will offer much resistance.

As for change in Pak team, they should throw out the overrated Butt, the vice captain Younis, and maybe even dump Rana and bring in Hameed, Afridi and Khaleel

Choora

State Regular
godofcricket said:
Although i dont think it would really matter whoever comes in place of salman, taufeeq or younis khan as it will like always depend upon youhana and inzamam to do the scoring, but i think salman butt should be given more chance, younis khan should be dropped and yasir hameed should replace his one-down place.....i think pakistan have got really big problems for the opening slot, they keep on failing consistently which creates pressure for the middle order...and i cant see any solution to it at the moment as we have very less options to consider.
Younis Khan should certainly be dropped, the way he played he don't deserve a chance especially because he happen to be experianced and had the added responsibility of being the VC yet he played pathetic shots.
.Also Pak need 5 bowlers in the next match as their bowling is very weak.

Umar/Butt
Akmal
Malik
Inzi
Youhanna
Kamal
Afridi
Razzak
Naveed
Sami
Danish

Akmal is not th best guy to open the inning but i would like to have him open so Pak can accomodate an allrounder in Afridi to give the 5th bowler option. Afridi can also be used as an opener instead of Akmal