• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test players who have singlehandedly carried their team..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Who do u guys think carried their side the most, from what a read WG Grace might fit that description.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
chaminda_00 said:
What about Fred Spofforth, Frank Tyson, Fred Trueman did they have any partner's in crime. They could of but i haven't read of any.

Just reading a book which includes something about a guy who from memory averaged about 9.6 and was famous "not just for his wonderful combination with Spofforth..."
I'll dig it out a bit later...

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Over the last decade it would have to be lara. Look no further than the 99/00 series against australia to see a player singlehandedly winnings tests for his team.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Arrow said:
Over the last decade it would have to be lara. Look no further than the 99/00 series against australia to see a player singlehandedly winnings tests for his team.
maybe aganist australia lara is a one man side, but the other guys (Sarwan, Chanderpaul) do a good job againist other sides

Blaze

Banned
howardj said:
Hadlee would be up there. NZ, despite his best efforts, were still horrid though :)
Nz through the 80's were pretty decent. They created a fair bit of history throughout the time when hadlee carried them. Series victory in aus amongst them

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bookie said:
Joel Garner, Aravinda, Merv Hughes, Inzamam, pretty sure they all carried their teams.
What? Garner was part of the West Indies four prong pace attack, and he wasn't even the most devastating member of it. On top of that, that West Indies side is one of the strongest ever to play test cricket, with the likes of Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd, Holding, Roberts and Croft. How you reached the conclusion that Garner "carried" that team I have no idea.

Aravinda De Silva is a better case, but he was never THAT much better than the other batsmen in his side like Jayasuria and Ranatunga.

Merv Hughes wasn't really any better or worse than the other Australian quicks in his time like Craig McDermott, so I don't see how he carried Australia either.

Inzamam however has certainly been the most consistently dangerous batsman in his side for the best part of a decade, so a case could well be made for him.

But damn... Joel Garner?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Thats a pretty bad call SJS.. Okay Taibu is the great young hope for Zimbabwe, but he isnt exactly world class, and he isnt really carrying the Zim team is he?
You dont have to be world class to carry this Zimbabwe team do you ? :)

Honestly, what I meant was that, take away Tatenda Taibu and this team will collapse, absolutely. He is not world class, agreed. He cant make the team any thing better than the mediocre unit that they are, agreed. But I thing without him they are not even half the side they are today (which isnt much I know).

Take away, Tendulkar from the Indian side of 5-8 years ago and they wouldnt suddenly appear to be worthless. Same for most dominant players.

Thats how I named him. Not as a measure of his individual calibre but as a measure of his standing as related to the rest of the team.

12th Man

U19 12th Man
A shame how it all ended with zimbabwe. They had some promising young players Blignaut, Ervine. Chigumbura and taibu are gonna have to do it for them now sadly, and after losing to Bangladesh in tests and ODI's i don't expect much

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
yes and then you barely even explained why it did affect the team and started using your family as evidence, whatever that was supposed to prove.
and if you do end up reading my post, you would see that ive quite clearly stated that what the fans think has no direct relation to how it affects the team.
I know it has no relation. I never claimed it did. I was just saying that it does affect the fans greatly, as well as hurting the teams' psyche. It was a seperate point.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
zinzan12 said:
Whilst many great players have to some degree over the long history of test cricket..

For me none more so than these 3......

Hadlee
Murali
and Bradman

To a lesser extent...
Border (84-88) when Aust were Struggling
Flower
Botham (80-82)

But none to the extent of the top 3 IMO.

Any obvious names i've missed??

Possibly Lara and Kallis in recent years to a lesser extent??

Note: Test cricket only
MURALI?!?!?! ai ai ai no no no no

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
tooextracool said:
you could have 500 people agreeing with each others opinions no matter how stupid, what good reading that would make.
everyones entitled to their own opinion, of course u come on here to 'rip peoples arguments apart' ooooooooooooh big big man init :) my mistake im sorry if bruised ur ego

Langeveldt

Soutie
SJS said:
Y

Honestly, what I meant was that, take away Tatenda Taibu and this team will collapse, absolutely. He is not world class, agreed. He cant make the team any thing better than the mediocre unit that they are, agreed. But I thing without him they are not even half the side they are today (which isnt much I know)..
I'll agree to disagree with you, Im sure Vermeulen, Rogers and Taylor aren't much worse talentwise.. Maybe we need to see more of the Zim team for them to prove my point..
I admire the talent and courage of Taibu, but he remains the most over rated cricketer I have ever seen play the game.. The fact I have seen him in some people's world XI's is beyond belief..

Swervy

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
What? Garner was part of the West Indies four prong pace attack, and he wasn't even the most devastating member of it. On top of that, that West Indies side is one of the strongest ever to play test cricket, with the likes of Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd, Holding, Roberts and Croft. How you reached the conclusion that Garner "carried" that team I have no idea.

Aravinda De Silva is a better case, but he was never THAT much better than the other batsmen in his side like Jayasuria and Ranatunga.

Merv Hughes wasn't really any better or worse than the other Australian quicks in his time like Craig McDermott, so I don't see how he carried Australia either.

Inzamam however has certainly been the most consistently dangerous batsman in his side for the best part of a decade, so a case could well be made for him.

But damn... Joel Garner?
i took that as being a joke...they are all big guys who could probably carry the entire team...literally.

maybe I got it wrong

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sledger said:
MURALI?!?!?! ai ai ai no no no no
Murali - yes yes yes . The fact the guy has the record for most 5 wk per innings and 10 wk per match says it all. He's totally dominated the wickets taking for Srilanka for the last 10 years or so.

I'm pretty sure no bowler would have a better wickets per test ratio. Let me know if i'm wrong.

a massive zebra

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Murali - yes yes yes . The fact the guy has the record for most 5 wk per innings and 10 wk per match says it all. He's totally dominated the wickets taking for Srilanka for the last 10 years or so.

I'm pretty sure no bowler would have a better wickets per test ratio. Let me know if i'm wrong.
Sydney Barnes and Clarrie Grimmett.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:

You ever heard of someone called Chaminda Vaas, one man bowling attack really 8-)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bookie said:
Joel Garner, Aravinda, Merv Hughes, Inzamam, pretty sure they all carried their teams.
merv hughes. not likely. mcdermott was ARGUABLY better and at least equal, and they were both of the same era. bowlers also playing with hughes were guys like reid, alderman, lawson, while border, jones boon and marsh were equally responsible for any win that was earned during this era.