• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Gavaskar leads World XI selectors" ... who would you select?

adharcric

International Coach
http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/173722_AUS_02FEB2005.html

Since the panel will name a 30-man Super Series preliminary squad in April, let's try to predict their selections. Remember, 30 for now, not the final squad ...

here is my list:
B. Lara(WI)
C. Gayle(WI)
R. Sarwan(WI)
A. Strauss(ENG)
M. Trescothick(ENG)
A. Flintoff(ENG)
S. Harmison(ENG)
A. Giles(ENG)
J. Kallis(SA)
H. Gibbs(SA)
G. Smith(SA)
S. Pollock(SA)
M. Ntini(SA)
I. Ul-Haq(PAK)
Y. Youhana(PAK)
S. Akhtar(PAK)
R. Dravid(IND)
V. Sehwag(IND)
S. Tendulkar(IND)
A. Kumble(IND)
H. Singh(IND)
I. Pathan(IND)
K. Sangakarra(SRI)
S. Jayasuriya(SRI)
M. Muralitharan(SRI)
C. Vaas(SRI)
S. Fleming(NZ)
C. Cairns(NZ)
J. Oram(NZ)
D. Vettori(NZ)
sorry:chanderpaul,thorpe,malik,laxman,jayawardene,atapattu and others ... :(

open to respectful criticism ...

adharcric

International Coach
btw, the LG rankings played a considerable role in my selection process (there were several other factors as well)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
adharcric said:
http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/173722_AUS_02FEB2005.html

Since the panel will name a 30-man Super Series preliminary squad in April, let's try to predict their selections. Remember, 30 for now, not the final squad ...

here is my list:
B. Lara(WI)
C. Gayle(WI)
R. Sarwan(WI)
A. Strauss(ENG)
M. Trescothick(ENG)
A. Flintoff(ENG)
S. Harmison(ENG)
A. Giles(ENG)
J. Kallis(SA)
H. Gibbs(SA)
G. Smith(SA)
S. Pollock(SA)
M. Ntini(SA)
I. Ul-Haq(PAK)
Y. Youhana(PAK)
S. Akhtar(PAK)
R. Dravid(IND)
V. Sehwag(IND)
S. Tendulkar(IND)
A. Kumble(IND)
H. Singh(IND)
I. Pathan(IND)
K. Sangakarra(SRI)
S. Jayasuriya(SRI)
M. Muralitharan(SRI)
C. Vaas(SRI)
S. Fleming(NZ)
C. Cairns(NZ)
J. Oram(NZ)
D. Vettori(NZ)
sorry:chanderpaul,thorpe,malik,laxman,jayawardene,atapattu and others ... :(

open to respectful criticism ...
Doesn't make much sense to me. Surely the bulk of the players would come from the better ranked oneday sides.

In your outer squad of 30, you've included 6 players from India (the 8th ranked ODI side), 5 from S.Africa (the 7th ranked side) and only 4 from NZ and Sri-lanka (the 2nd and 3rd ranked sides respectively) and just 3 from Pakistan (the 4th ranked).

Seems a bit backwards to me??

Also not even a sorry for Astle (the star ODI batsmen in the 2nd ranked team??) :wacko:

C_C

International Captain
Tests:

V.Sehwag
H.Gibbs
R.Dravid (capt)
S.Tendulkar
B.Lara
J.Kallis/A.Flintoff(depends on whether you want bowling allrounder or batting allrounder)
K.Sangakkara(wkt)
S.Pollock
S.Akhtar
A.Kumble
M.Muralitharan

ODIs:

S.Tendulkar
S.Fleming(capt)
R.Sarwan
B.Lara
Inzamam
R.Dravid(wkt)
S.Afridi
S.Pollock
I.Pathan
S.Akhtar
M.Muralitharan

The team should be something like this.......but i wouldnt be surprised if a more diverse nationality-base is adopted.

shaka

International Regular
G. Smith should not be there on current form, maybe Astle to replace him, Harbhajan has not played a lot of cricket recently, or performed well.

Zinzan

C_C said:
Tests:

V.Sehwag
H.Gibbs
R.Dravid (capt)
S.Tendulkar
B.Lara
J.Kallis/A.Flintoff(depends on whether you want bowling allrounder or batting allrounder)
K.Sangakkara(wkt)
S.Pollock
S.Akhtar
A.Kumble
M.Muralitharan

ODIs:

S.Tendulkar
S.Fleming(capt)
R.Sarwan
B.Lara
Inzamam
R.Dravid(wkt)
S.Afridi
S.Pollock
I.Pathan
S.Akhtar
M.Muralitharan

The team should be something like this.......but i wouldnt be surprised if a more diverse nationality-base is adopted.

Oneday team without Cairns and Flintoff??

I've focused on players who have excelled against Australia in Aust in most cases.

Mine would be....

Tests

Sehwag
Dravid (Has technique to open with the lineup to follow)
Tendulkar
Lara (c) -Like to see him captain this line up
Kallis
Laxman
Sangakara(wk)
Pollock/Vettori (pollock if seamers pitch, Vettori if spin)
Harmison
Muraili
Aktar

One day team

Sehwag
Fleming (c)
Tendulkar
Lara
Cairns
Flintoff
Sanagkara/Mccullum(wk)
Pollock
Vettori
Atkar
Murali

Although he's having a great VB series. I wouldn't have Afridi as Both Cairns and Flintoff can be equally as damaging with the bat and are both much better bowlers.

benchmark00

C_C said:
Tests:

V.Sehwag
H.Gibbs
R.Dravid (capt)
S.Tendulkar
B.Lara
K.Sangakkara(wkt)
S.Pollock
S.Akhtar
A.Kumble
M.Muralitharan

ODIs:

S.Tendulkar
S.Fleming(capt)
R.Sarwan
B.Lara
Inzamam
R.Dravid(wkt)
S.Afridi
S.Pollock
I.Pathan
S.Akhtar
M.Muralitharan

I think youve got it just about right, except Lara should be captain over Dravid anyday

Steulen

International Regular
Seeing that Clive Lloyd is in the selection panel, I don't think Michael Vaughan will be in the team :)

12th Man

U19 12th Man
If you play murali, you've gotta play sangakkara as he's the only keeper who can pick his balls etc.

I mean that in a cricket way you dirty buggers

benchmark00

12th Man said:
If you play murali, you've gotta play sangakkara as he's the only keeper who can pick his balls etc.

I mean that in a cricket way you dirty buggers
hahahahahaha :lol:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Allot going to happen over the next couple of months before the series. I think the Ashes will have a big factor on who plays. If the some of the english players have good ashes series they will be walk up starts but if they have average ones or poor ones then u might not have many in the team. Also the fitness of quicks will be a big factor, i've picked Bond, harmison and Akhtar, but it is unlikely they will or be fit. Also Murali is a consern.

Test Team
1. V.Shewag
2. S.Fleming (c) ( I hear he is going to open for NZ maybe, if he has a ok season it would be hard to pick other in front of him, unless Strauss has a brillant Ashes)
3. B.Lara
4. S.Tendulkar
5. R.Dravid
6. J.Kallis
7. K.Sangakkara
8. A.Flintoff (If he has a good Ashes unlikey, but u never know, if he has a bad one then I.Pathan)
9. S.Harmison (Good Ashes, if not Bond if fit)
10. S.Akhtar
11. M.Muralitharan
12th man: S.Bond (S.Pollock if unfit)
Resevre Spinner: D.Kaneria
Reserver Batsmen: A.Strauss

ODI Squad (14 Players)
1. V.Shewag
2. C.Gayle
3. B.Lara
4. S.Tendulkar
5. S.Fleming (c)
6. J.Kallis
7. K. Sangakkara (wk)
8. A.Flintoff
9. C.Carins
10. J.Oram
11. M.Muralithran
12. S. Pollock
13. C.Vaas
14. I.Pathan

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
S.Tendulkar
S.Fleming(capt)
R.Sarwan
B.Lara
Inzamam
R.Dravid(wkt)
S.Afridi
S.Pollock
I.Pathan
S.Akhtar
M.Muralitharan

So you leave out 4 of the best ranked All Rounder in ODIs (Flintoff, Gayle, Malik, Cairns) but instead select Afridi?!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Also the fitness of quicks will be a big factor, i've picked Bond
Yes, but why have you picked him in the Test team, and not in the ODI one?

Definitely the wrong way round.

C_C

International Captain
Malik is 'currently' not an allrounder.
ICC has prohibited him from bowling and dunno when they will lift that restriction. And as a batsman alone, he doenst cut it.
Cairns and Flintoff are viable options too,especially Cairns.
Wouldnt mind either of those two but i selected Afridi because he is a bigger hitter of the ball than those two.
The position in question is the number 7 slot,where your job is to slog away. Afridi is a riskier option than Cairns(Flintoff is thereabouts) but a faster scorer....
a 30 from 15 balls or 20 from 7 balls is much more likely with Afridi than Cairns.
The batting order up top is strong, so i dont think the #7 will be required to play a long innings(where Cairns is deciededly better than Afridi) but a 10-15 ball slogfest(where Afridi is better)

As per Gayle.....he has regressed in the ODI arena...he is a good choice too but i feel that Fleming brings more in terms of captaincy and batting than gayle does opening in australia.

C_C

International Captain
I wouldnt pick Lara to be the captain over me mum....he is a horrible horrible captain. The last match vs pakistan is a good example.
He will likely be the captain, since he has the star power and is the captain of a test nation(as opposed to v.capt like Dravid) but the few times dravid has captained, he has shown a lot more captaincy skill than lara has.

twctopcat

International Regular
All the talk of lara being captain is irrelevant. I'm pretty sure they will give it to a captain who will have just plundered 700+ runs vs the aussies, :D

biased indian

International Coach
twctopcat said:
All the talk of lara being captain is irrelevant. I'm pretty sure they will give it to a captain who will have just plundered 700+ runs vs the aussies, :D
i think he will be out of the team even before that, as they narrow down the team in april :)