• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Gavaskar leads World XI selectors" ... who would you select?

C_C

International Captain
Other cricketing drug cheats, such as?
irrelevant.
Drug testing should be mandatory in cricket and the fact is Warne is a drug cheat.

Fine, but the IOC and the IAAF are not sporting bodies associated with cricket, and instead govern over a completely different sporting system with different requirements. The ICC had no such rule in place, so Warne could hardly be held to it. Even if you buy your theory about Warne's intentional taking of a diuretic as a performance-enhancing drug, or to mask them, would you suggest he be punished retroactively with laws put into place after his alleged crime?
Ofcourse. Retroactive punishment occurs in the legal system of most nations-including yours.
A killer or a theif caught 20 years after the crime is tried on CURRENT laws, not previous laws. And in many times, a re-appeal is considered for crimes that have been judged previously( either parole for an excessively harsh sentence or re-sentencing for an excessively lenient sentencing).

And while IOC and IAAF are not technically associated with cricket, it has been recommended many times in the past that cricket should adopt the doping regulations put forth by IAAF like many other sports did. There is no room for drug abuse in cricket.

Besides, Warne was sentenced by Cricket Australia, an entity it serves, rather than the governing body, like ICC. In MOST other sports, sentenceses are carried out not by the employer but a governing body without any direct relations with the player.
As such, it is ethically wrong to have a judgement pronounced by a party such as CA, which has vested interests in Warne, as they are his employer. That is a case of judgement pronounced by a biassed party. In no credible legal framework do you see sentencing being carried out by a party that has vested intersts in the guilty party. That is almost derelection of duty.

Perhaps he took the diuretic for the reason stated (to lose weight to look good on television for his ODI retirement), but would not have if there had been rules in place saying that taking a diuretic would result in a lifetime ban and a removal of statistical records.
irrelevant.
Using drugs is not just illegal in sports, it is illegal in the legal framework of Australia. Warne could be charged with a public litigations lawsuit and he would be found guilty in that case.

Well, what qualifies as a quality attack? The Australian team Kallis faced in 2002/03 is undoubtedly one of the strongest ever fielded, and Kallis was easily the best South African batsman, scoring a very respectable 245 runs @ 49.00 in the away series, and an average 184 @ 36.80 in the home series. In the home series he also took 11 wickets. Since then he has undoubtedly improved as a batsman, but I'm really not sure what you would consider a "quality attack" in that time.
I can give you several instances of 'quality attacks' but suffice to say that in the las 3-4 years, none of the attacks bar australia have been quality attacks. Over the last 10 years or so, the only attacks that have qualified as 'quality' are Australia, West Indies(till 2000 or so), Pakistan(till 2001 or so) and South Africa(till 2000/01 or so).

While Kallis did pretty good in the series you mentioned, Kallis has averaged 40+ in only 2 of the 9 series against those attacks.
And how well one did in one particular series is not the point. How well he did OVERALL is whats of concern, as successes must ALWAYS be balanced with failures to get a complete picture. Kallis is pretty mediocre against quality bowling attacks and i wouldnt include him to face a quality bowling attack like OZ just on the merit of his batting alone.

Yes, the fact does remain that you have absolutely no proof that he took performance enhancing drugs
irrelevanant. The FACT is Warne got off very easily compared to the standard fate of people found taking a masking agent.
If you have a masking agent in your system, you are AUTOMATICALLY GUILTY of taking BANNED SUBSTANCES and therefore eligible for far severe penalties.

What you are arguing is similar to saying that while someone's fingerprints are there on a knife and is the most recent DNA sample, there is no way to prove that he/she actually stabbed the dead person so therefore is not guilty of murder.
I would ask you to take your reasoning to any standard courtroom and provide some comic releif.

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
Warne could be charged with a public litigations lawsuit and he would be found guilty in that case..
I found this one quite funny, imagine taking someone to court for taking diuretics, watch out Jenny Craig. :D :D

C_C said:
What you are arguing is similar to saying that while someone's fingerprints are there on a knife and is the most recent DNA sample, there is no way to prove that he/she actually stabbed the dead person so therefore is not guilty of murder.
I would ask you to take your reasoning to any standard courtroom and provide some comic releif.
It is you that has supplied the comic relief, fingerprints alone do not prove a crime you also need to prove motive, intent and opportunity.

Another thing you fail to realise is in a court room two people can be convicted of murder and one will be sentenced to life in prison and the other can be sentenced to 2 years jail, they dont have the same penalty for murder its up to the judge to decide on the merits of the case.

C_C

International Captain
It is you that has supplied the comic relief, fingerprints alone do not prove a crime you also need to prove motive, intent and opportunity.

Another thing you fail to realise is in a court room two people can be convicted of murder and one will be sentenced to life in prison and the other can be sentenced to 2 years jail, they dont have the same penalty for murder its up to the judge to decide on the merits of the case.

Motive and intent are not essential. You cannot establish motive or intent in a random murder or serial killer case for example and psychological evaluation is dodgy at best.

As far as sentencing variations, the JURY deciedes. Not the judge. And that is a question of intent- accidental, heat of the moment or cold blooded.
Warne cannot prove that his actions were accidental or heat of the moment and the burden of proof lies with the one charged that it was accidental or heat of the moment.

Either way, the FACT is warne is a drug cheat.

PS: Aussie aussie aussie. Oi Oi Oi.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
Motive and intent are not essential. You cannot establish motive or intent in a random murder or serial killer case for example and psychological evaluation is dodgy at best.

As far as sentencing variations, the JURY deciedes. Not the judge. And that is a question of intent- accidental, heat of the moment or cold blooded.
Warne cannot prove that his actions were accidental or heat of the moment and the burden of proof lies with the one charged that it was accidental or heat of the moment.

Either way, the FACT is warne is a drug cheat.

PS: Aussie aussie aussie. Oi Oi Oi.
Are you on drugs yourself C_C.

C_C

International Captain
Are you on drugs yourself C_C.
Nah. Its just that i posess something thats alien to you : A brain.
:D

You would do well to admit the truth- Warne is a drug cheat. but i guess blind patriotism is one of the vices that afflicts you.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
Nah. Its just that i posess something thats alien to you : A brain.
:D

You would do well to admit the truth- Warne is a drug cheat. but i guess blind patriotism is one of the vices that afflicts you.
Hes no more a drug cheat than the WI fast bowlers caught smoking dope on the beach in the 80's. But then again you would have forgotten that wouldent you.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Guys you two have been squabbling for several months if not years, and not getting anywhere.

You post long replies to each other, like Richard and TooExtra Cool are notorious for and which annoyed everyone else, because every bloody thread became a battle ground.

Now you guys are doing the same !!

Call it a truce !! Neither is going to get the other to change their mind, so move on fellas ! :)

C_C

International Captain
Hes no more a drug cheat than the WI fast bowlers caught smoking dope on the beach in the 80's. But then again you would have forgotten that wouldent you.
First, if it was only marijuana, i have no problems with it : Several research shows that marijuana has benificial health qualities.

Second,when it comes to drug abuse, there are TWO categories : performance enhancing/masking agents and addictive destructive ones.

One example of the former is Naldrolone or Diuretics. One example of the latter is cocaine/heroin etc.
Marijuana falls in neither category and thus the commotion around marijuana.
Diuretics, unfortunately, fall on the former category.

So while one can accuse Warne of being a drug cheat for performance enhancement, no such claim can be made of a marijuana smoker.

Besides, like i said, maybe if you grew a brain and saw past petty and idiotic nationalist agendas, you might become something worthwhile.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
First, if it was only marijuana, i have no problems with it : Several research shows that marijuana has benificial health qualities.

Second,when it comes to drug abuse, there are TWO categories : performance enhancing/masking agents and addictive destructive ones.

One example of the former is Naldrolone or Diuretics. One example of the latter is cocaine/heroin etc.
Marijuana falls in neither category and thus the commotion around marijuana.
Diuretics, unfortunately, fall on the former category.

So while one can accuse Warne of being a drug cheat for performance enhancement, no such claim can be made of a marijuana smoker.

Besides, like i said, maybe if you grew a brain and saw past petty and idiotic nationalist agendas, you might become something worthwhile.
Care to explain why dope is on the banned drug list and why it is illegal.

C_C

International Captain
Care to explain why dope is on the banned drug list and why it is illegal.
Because it is thought to be harmful to the system and can cause many illnesses.
However, that is under reveiw and a cause for much controversy.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
Because it is thought to be harmful to the system and can cause many illnesses.
However, that is under reveiw and a cause for much controversy.
But you agree those WI bowlers are drug cheats like Warne.

C_C

International Captain
But you agree those WI bowlers are drug cheats like Warne.
Drug cheats ? yes.
Like Warne ? No- Marijuana is neither a performance enhancing drug nor a masking agent for one.

Besides, like i said, Marijuana is a very volatile subject and is not a standard banned drug- there is lot of commotion around it.

James

Cricket Web Owner
This thread is not about Shane Warne and any possible drug taking. It stops here!

You have been warned...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
cric_manic said:
if we are talking tests i would like to see Mcullum instead of sangakarra as the keeper
You are kidding aren't u Sangakkara is by far the better batsmen, he will come close to making the side as a batsmen along. Keeping their about the same but Sangakkara has experience keeping to Murali. Sangakkara has to be a certain pick for ODI and Tests

Bookie

U19 12th Man
cric_manic said:
if we are talking tests i would like to see Mcullum instead of sangakarra as the keeper
Seeing as you are from New Zealand, you probably would, but with the ****house level of batting McCullum has, its very unlikely; as Sangakkara, Boucher and taibu are better batsmen while Courtney Browne is about twenty times better keeper.

Very low chance.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Bookie said:
Seeing as you are from New Zealand, you probably would, but with the ****house level of batting McCullum has, its very unlikely; as Sangakkara, Boucher and taibu are better batsmen while Courtney Browne is about twenty times better keeper.

Very low chance.
Taibu, i think Chris Read has more chance of playing. McCullum is not a bad batter, when it comes to keepers and batting McCullum and Jones would be next to Sangakkara and Gilchrist.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cric_manic said:
For me it depends where the keeper is going to bat in the side.

If at 7 or 8, then I'd go for McCullum, but if you want him at 4 or 5 then I wouldn't.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Using drugs is not just illegal in sports, it is illegal in the legal framework of Australia. Warne could be charged with a public litigations lawsuit and he would be found guilty in that case.
Now you really have lost the plot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
So while you have no problems with the using an illegal drug, you want Warne tried in court for using something that isn't illegal?