• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Gavaskar leads World XI selectors" ... who would you select?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
ODIs

1. Sehwag
2. Tendulkar
3. Lara (c)
4. Kallis
5. Sangakkara (wk)
6. Flintoff
7. Cairns
8. Pollock
9. Afridi
10. Harmison
11. Muralitharan

Reserves: Dravid, Akhtar, Fleming

Tests

1. Sehwag
2. Strauss
3. Dravid (c)
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
6. Flintoff
7. Sangakkara(wk)
8. Pollock
9. Kumble
10. Harmison
11. Muralitharan

Reserves: Akhtar, Trescothick

biased indian

International Coach
i dont know y ever one having Harmisson in thier team if the last Eng vs SA series is to be taken into account i think Hoggard will be a much better selection :)

and y the hell is that they are having a 6 day test. i dont think it will go beyond lunch on fifth day :wacko:

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
biased indian said:
i dont know y ever one having Harmisson in thier team if the last Eng vs SA series is to be taken into account i think Hoggard will be a much better selection :)

and y the hell is that they are having a 6 day test. i dont think it will go beyond lunch on fifth day :wacko:
I tend to think it will. Ask Dravid and Chanderpaul to play their natural game on a, hopefully, good track and you will see why. :)

Beleg

International Regular
ODI:

Sehwag
Gibbs
Lara
Tendulkar
Inzamam
Kallis
Sangakara
Cairns
Flintoff
Akhtar
Muralitharan

Test:

Strauss
Tendulkar
Dravid
Lara
Inzamam/Laxman
Kallis
Sangakara
Flintoff
Kumble
Murali
Shoaib

adharcric

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Doesn't make much sense to me. Surely the bulk of the players would come from the better ranked oneday sides.

In your outer squad of 30, you've included 6 players from India (the 8th ranked ODI side), 5 from S.Africa (the 7th ranked side) and only 4 from NZ and Sri-lanka (the 2nd and 3rd ranked sides respectively) and just 3 from Pakistan (the 4th ranked).

Seems a bit backwards to me??

Also not even a sorry for Astle (the star ODI batsmen in the 2nd ranked team??) :wacko:
there is a huge difference between having the most talent and performing the best ... NZL for example doesn't have many stars (or any rather, besides Fleming, maybe Cairns/Vettori) but they are a solid team ... IND on the other hand have Tendulkar/Dravid/Sehwag, who are without doubt top-15 batsmen, and Pathan, who is in the top-20 for ODI & Test rankings and was the leading wicket-taker in 04', and two dangerous spinners in Kumble and Bhajji (who have been troublesome for the Aussies in the past and are probably better than every spinner besides Murali, Warne), yet IND has either been inconsistent or in poor form as a team lately; AUS is probably the only team that consistenly performs at the same level that their pure talent (in terms of individual players) would suggest

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Test:
Sehwag
Strauss
Kallis
Tendulkar
Lara (c)
Flintoff
Sangakkara (k)
Pollock
Harmison
Shoaib
Muralitharan

ODI:
Gayle
Fleming
Lara
Tendulkar
Inzamam
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Afridi
Pollock
Shoaib
Muralitharan

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why does everyone keep having Inzamam in a ODI side? He's a quality batsman but his fielding more than makes up for that extra quality, hell I'd even rather have Collingwood who averages 7-8 less (similar strike rate, won't bother looking into the bowling value and who's has the better pitches to bat on) and makes up more than that with his fielding.

biased indian

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Why does everyone keep having Inzamam in a ODI side? He's a quality batsman but his fielding more than makes up for that extra quality, hell I'd even rather have Collingwood who averages 7-8 less (similar strike rate, won't bother looking into the bowling value and who's has the better pitches to bat on) and makes up more than that with his fielding.
Even if all the above facts are taken into account, inzamam have won more % of games for pakistan than collingwood have done for England

tooextracool

International Coach
adharcric said:
here is my list:
B. Lara(WI)
C. Gayle(WI)
R. Sarwan(WI)
A. Strauss(ENG)
M. Trescothick(ENG)
A. Flintoff(ENG)
S. Harmison(ENG)
A. Giles(ENG)
J. Kallis(SA)
H. Gibbs(SA)
G. Smith(SA)
S. Pollock(SA)
M. Ntini(SA)
I. Ul-Haq(PAK)
Y. Youhana(PAK)
S. Akhtar(PAK)
R. Dravid(IND)
V. Sehwag(IND)
S. Tendulkar(IND)
A. Kumble(IND)
H. Singh(IND)
I. Pathan(IND)
K. Sangakarra(SRI)
S. Jayasuriya(SRI)
M. Muralitharan(SRI)
C. Vaas(SRI)
S. Fleming(NZ)
C. Cairns(NZ)
J. Oram(NZ)
D. Vettori(NZ)
sorry:chanderpaul,thorpe,malik,laxman,jayawardene,atapattu and others ... :(

open to respectful criticism ...
tresco over thorpe? no chance.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
do you also want to include rikki clarke and anthony mcgrath in that side?
collingwood over inzy, based on what? his one good series against india? what a genius.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
biased indian said:
Even if all the above facts are taken into account, inzamam have won more % of games for pakistan than collingwood have done for England
He will also have lost more with his fielding, slow running between the wickets and running his partner out. But of course these aren't as glaringly obvious and people don't remember these instances as much as the ones where he's won the game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
People remember Inzy's run outs. It's talked about every time he's on the pitch batting.

adharcric

International Coach
One-Day Squad
S. Fleming
S. Tendulkar
B. Lara
J. Kallis
R. Dravid
K. Sangakarra
A. Flintoff
C. Cairns
S. Pollock
C. Vaas
M. Muralitharan
Reserves: C. Gayle, I. Ul-Haq, D. Vettori

Test Squad
V. Sehwag
A. Strauss
B. Lara
S. Tendulkar
R. Dravid
J. Kallis
K. Sangakarra
S. Pollock
S. Akhtar
S. Harmison
M. Muralitharan
Reserves: H. Gibbs/A. Flintoff, A. Kumble

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
Ha ha What a joke ! You really are a comedian aren't you. Collingwood over Inzi. An average average Player vs one of the great batsmen of his era.

I personally wouldn't have Inzi in my world oneday at the moment either, but to suggest collingwood is a better option is Laughable

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest i'd hate to be a selector for this series. Whatever happens, there are going to be some upset people.
And of course, if the World XI team fails then everybody will question the selections made.

It's also extremely unlikely Shane Bond will feature in either side. NZ don't have much (if any) international cricket between April & September.

shaka

International Regular
Vetttori IMO should be in the ODI team to face Australia because of his consistency against the tasman neighbours.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Yes, but why have you picked him in the Test team, and not in the ODI one?

Definitely the wrong way round.
I went for all rounders in the One day Team, i know he is a better bowler in One days then Test, but he is still a good enough Test Bowler to make my side.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
To be honest i'd hate to be a selector for this series. Whatever happens, there are going to be some upset people.
And of course, if the World XI team fails then everybody will question the selections made.

It's also extremely unlikely Shane Bond will feature in either side. NZ don't have much (if any) international cricket between April & September.
Yeah but if Shane Bond fit u have to pick him there aren't too many fast bowlers that are better then him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But don't forget he hasn't played for almost 2 years & he's now got a metal rod down his back. I don't think it would be the best idea for him to make his comeback in an extremely important series.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I though he was making his comeback aganist Sri Lanka, oh well i guess we have to smack another bowler around the park. Vettori sounds good :D