• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Test Team

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
My goodness! I just heard that Vettori and Oram are going to be fit. Or something like that.

Oram apparently has a 'stress reaction' not a fracture.

Vettori is much better and may even play for ND this weekend.

Thank the lord.

So who else do you pick? I would pick Oram as a batsman mainly anyway.

How
Sinclair
Fleming
Styris
Astle
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Tuffey
Martin

The pace attack is still very avg though.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
How should not be there,open the batting with flem and sinclair/papps
butler for franklin to bring a little bit more pace

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Positive news on Vettori, Oram
02 February 2005

New Zealand's cricket team received a double dose of good fortune today, with positive injury reports on key men Daniel Vettori and Jacob Oram a fortnight out from Australia's arrival.

Team manager Lindsay Crocker said in a statement both players' back injuries were not as serious as feared, with Vettori expected to be back bowling his left-arm spin this weekend.

Medical assessment on Vettori's back injury, which has sidelined him since the World 11 match in Wellington last week, was more likely tissue- than bone-related.

Crocker said Vettori, who has a history of back problems, was hopeful of a return in Northern Districts' State Shield one-day match in Auckland on Sunday.

"He bowled today and felt good. We will continue to monitor his progress during the week and if he continues to improve he will play for Northern Districts on Sunday," Crocker said.

Meanwhile a CT scan on allrounder Oram has shown a stress reaction in his back, and not a stress fracture as feared.

Oram has been sidelined since January 9 with continued back soreness.

AdvertisementAdvertisement"Jacob will continue to undergo treatment and should return to batting following a couple of pain-free weeks before progressing to bowling," Crocker said.

"We are cautiously optimistic about the return of both players and will work with our medical advisers to ensure they are fit before their return to cricket."

:D :D :D 8-) :D 8-) :D :) :D

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
sirjeremy11 said:
My goodness! I just heard that Vettori and Oram are going to be fit. Or something like that.

Oram apparently has a 'stress reaction' not a fracture.

Vettori is much better and may even play for ND this weekend.

Thank the lord.
Maybe there is a god after all :blink: ...but if there is why cant he/she/it speed Bond's recovery :@
And if How gets selected Fleming should open and Sinclair #3

Natman20

International Debutant
Who else agrees with me

Sinclair needs to improve now or i think it will be time for a replacement

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Natman20 said:
Sinclair needs to improve now or i think it will be time for a replacement
I dont. Sinclair should keep his test spot, but im not sure about his ODI place. Id be more inclined to drop Styris than Sinclair, particularly seeing as hes never scored a decent total against Aus

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Natman20 said:
WE need someone who can play well agains all countries!!!
Exactly. And since Aus is the best country, we really need our players to step up against them instead of scoring against all the other countries.

I think either the Aussies have worked Styris out completely or hes just got a mental block against them...maybe because he was born there :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The opening combination along with the fitness of Vettori & Oram are going to be the biggest areas of debate.

Its really hard to tell whether NZ will opt for both Papps & How, OR go with Sinclair & Fleming.
Personally I think Michael Papps will open with Sinclair.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sir Redman said:
I dont. Sinclair should keep his test spot, but im not sure about his ODI place. Id be more inclined to drop Styris than Sinclair, particularly seeing as hes never scored a decent total against Aus
Agreed. The NZ selectors have done this so often overs the years. That is pick players for the One day team that are more suited to test cricket and vice versa.

From day 1 Sinclair struck me as test player, but not an international oneday player. His oneday Strike-rate of 61 is awful in this day and age. He never seems to gap the ball and puts too much pressure on the middle/lower order. Quite frankly, i've been pleased to see him get out lately so we can get our runrate up.

The selectors also did this for years with Vincent (who had a similar strike rate to Sinclair) in fact I think it may have been lower (around 59). They seem to have thought Vincent's ODI selection was justified purely on his fielding. Vincent like Sinclair was IMO far better suited as a test batsmen. He proved that with test hundreds in Both Perth and in India (totally different conditions). Yet he found in hard to consistently find a place in the test scene, but was a regular in the oneday side.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
How many runs has J.How scored for New Zealand 'A', i remember he smacked SL 'A' around the park a while and did ok aganist SA 'A', didn't he. Is he scoring any runs in State Shield. I gather Papps is back from injury from reading ur post, for me he is a certain starter if fit. What about Jeff Wilson, i saw in bowl live aganist the World XI and he impressed me. Looks better then Frankin, Mills or Bulter, but i guess u guys have seen them play more then me. Also will Bond be fit to play Sri Lanka, our batsmen need another challenge Vettori isn't enough. By the way this my team, how u guys don't get smacked by the Aussies again:

1. M Papps
2. J How
3. S Fleming
4. S Styris (don't lose faith in him he one of only few world class batsmen u have)
5. N Astle
6. M Sinclair
7. J Oram
8. B McCullum
9. D Vettori
10. J Wilson
11. D Tuffey