• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread (2005)

chris.hinton

International Captain
yes i know it about 10-11 weeks away.... but we can use this thread as a Bulid up and for our predictions and to talk about each team in depth

2005 English Domestic season will be a busy one, as the Aussies are coming to play us in the Ashes( yes i know you knew that!) and 2005 will be the last time we will see the Minor Counties in the C and G Trophy? is this a step in the right direction?

Worcester have Sercued the servies of Shoaib Akhtar...... will he be a better Success then he was at Durham? could Warwickshire field the first non english Bowling attack... if they get Dale Stien?

It Promises to be a good one hopefully the weather will be good as it was in 2003.

Come on lets Predict who will win what and the ashes score?

chris.hinton

International Captain
County Championship winners Kent
Runners Up Warwickshire
Relegated Glouestershire,Glamorgan and Northants

Division 2

Champions: Worcestershire
Runners up: Lancashire
Also Promoted: Yorkshire

League Joker: Derbyshire

C And G trophy: Glouestershire (Again)
Twenty20 Cup: Lancashire

National League
Champions: Glouestershire
Runners Up: Worestershire
Bottom: Essex

NO RELEGATION DUE TO CHANGES IN 2006

Division two Champions: Warwickshire
Bottom: Scotland

chris.hinton

International Captain
International Predictions

England to beat Bangladesh 2-0
England to beat Australia 3-2

Australia to win Natwest Series Beating England in the Final

Australia will beat England in the Natwest Challenge 2-1

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
It Promises to be a good one hopefully the weather will be good as it was in 2003.
Which was no more than good; it wasn't actually in the end as good as it was in 1994 and 1996.
Still - since 1996 we've gone very good, OK, poor, good, very poor, good, execrable, good, execrable... so hopefully we've got another good-'un on the way.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
it is a shame but it now seems that hampshire will be deprived of kevin pieterson for most of the season due to the fact that by the time the ODI series in south africa has finished he will be established as a key member of the squad and no doubt in series contention for the test team as a possible number 3 or otherwise. Hampshire will cope i expect but will be a big blow to them as they have very little chance of retaining michael clarke or warne either.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
I don't think Pietersen is in that serious contention for Tests just yet.
He tends to plant his front foot a bit too early. I could see him getting out LBW alot early on in his innings vs the fast straight ball. Ive seen it happen to him more than once in the games Sky screened last year.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
12th Man said:
Championship: Warwickshire
totesport Glamorgan Dragons

C&G Gloucestershire
twenty20 Surrey Lions
No team is a one man team, but Surrey wouldnt have got close to winning the Twenty20 if it wasnt for Adam Hollioake. Since he's now retired i cant see them getting close.
Cant argue with the others though. Although the C&G is always a lottery.
Worcestershire could be an outside bet for the Div 2 title. But we really need to sort our batting out. I'm not convinced with the 2nd overseas signing (De Bruyn). Would have prefered a proper batter, rather than an all rounder.

Link

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
na, neither do i, its hard for the selectors, they have to show some faith in butch, key and bell has been knocking around for a few months, i dont mind to be fair but it wont be right for pieterson to waltz infront of every one else

Langeveldt

Soutie
Smith to have ****ed everyone in Somerset off by about mid May...
Hope he brings Minki..

Hahah, imagine Minki in Taunton.. It would be like putting the pope in Bangkok's ladyboy district..

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
Essex to get promoted. Loads of batting, and Goughie leading the attack we should be up there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
But we really need to sort our batting out. I'm not convinced with the 2nd overseas signing (De Bruyn). Would have prefered a proper batter, rather than an all rounder.
Hope you might be made to eat your words come the start of the season.
De Bruyn is clearly a batsman, and a pretty darn good one at that. His bowling, like Hansie Cronje, is simpy a useful extra.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Smith to have ****ed everyone in Somerset off by about mid May...
Ah well... I won't care if he's used the short boundaries to score at 80 or 90 per innings...
I mean, if Ian Blackwell can do what he's done at that ground, just think what Graeme could do...
Might see if I can come up in the hope of watching him bat sometime... Rich could think about interviewing him for CW...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Certainly not to bat three, he's hardly if ever batted there for Notts.
Personally I'm a little worried about the effect playing on such a poor surface at The Rose Bowl could have on him.
Personally I'm simply hoping that he gets Thorpe's place, whenever Thorpe retires... and I'm certainly hoping we don't get the scenario (can just see it though - it's so typical to England) where Thorpe starts The Ashes with 4 poor-ish scores and everyone starts yelling at the selectors to drop him and pick Pietersen.
Trouble in England is so often people seem to think places are available when they're not... even now I've heard a couple of comments along the lines of "Pietersen's got to play in the Tests" "Really? Who'd you drop for him?" "Don't care, but he's got to play".
Until a slot becomes available, no-one can fill it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
There you have it Richard Rules
Well... thanks... glad to know my basic knowledge of the English summers (and even then it's only overall - haven't been able to study in depth the regional patterns) of the last 10 years gives me Rulership. :) :p