• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Missed no-ball robs Warne

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
ABM Ceremony - minor sensations are a must.
A bit of a funny thing, though, yes.
Watching it I was under the impression that it was brought up as a bit of a joke.....certainly nothing to get too worked up about anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wonder why it took so long to be found. They manage to pick missed no-balls when the occasion is of a lesser scale, but missed this one. Oh well.

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
Watching it I was under the impression that it was brought up as a bit of a joke.....certainly nothing to get too worked up about anyway.
I said at the time, that they had played with the footage.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It is time to bring on technology to call front foot no balls, cus crap umpires like D.Hair need all the help they can get. Not surprising that he was the umpire that missed the no-ball, i'm sure he missed allot more things in his umpiring career. U probably find that he missed something when Lara got his to World Records. Worst umpire who has ever umpired a Test in my opinion.

shaka

International Regular
I dont think technology should be used for that, allow for some natural errors that could occur, people have grown up adhering to the umpires ruling. In that instance, the umpire called it as he saw it.

I think technology should be used to adjudicate on catches, stumpings, runouts, etc, but not on no balls.

IMO Darrell Hair is not a good umpire.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think technology should be used for that, allow for some natural errors that could occur, people have grown up adhering to the umpires ruling. In that instance, the umpire called it as he saw it.

I think technology should be used to adjudicate on catches, stumpings, runouts, etc, but not on no balls.

IMO Darrell Hair is not a good umpire.
Yeah but if you're doing the technology thing for all bar one aspect of the game, you're not allowing for 'natural errors' at all but are, statistically speaking, introducing bias. What's the point of that?

Nope, technology all the way or not at all. This half-arsed acceptance of technology is HURTING the game because, as I said, bias is logically introduced if some phenomena are judged perfectly whereas others are left to 'human error'. All I hear when technological solutions are proposed are anachronistic and sentimental arguments. There's NO good reason why technology shouldn't be introduced in every facet of the game where it will be accurate and consistent and more accurate than human umpires.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Oh come on, it was clearly meant to be funny, nobody was calling for the umpire's head or anything. If they were whinging about it, granted it's a bit uncalled for, but showing the footage and having a laugh about it seemed fairly harmless to me.

Scallywag

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Oh come on, it was clearly meant to be funny, nobody was calling for the umpire's head or anything. If they were whinging about it, granted it's a bit uncalled for, but showing the footage and having a laugh about it seemed fairly harmless to me.
Dont worry about it, some people take themselves far to serious and dont know how to have a laugh. Normal people saw the joke and had a laugh.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Dont worry about it, some people take themselves far to serious and dont know how to have a laugh. Normal people saw the joke and had a laugh.
It was one of the funniest thing that i have seen in a while. Warne face was priceless. But it just shows another example of way technology needs to be used for front foot no balls. Especially when they continue to give crap umpires like Darrell Hair Test matches

Mister Wright

chaminda_00 said:
It was one of the funniest thing that i have seen in a while. Warne face was priceless. But it just shows another example of way technology needs to be used for front foot no balls. Especially when they continue to give crap umpires like Darrell Hair Test matches
I thought the look on his face was funnier when Vince Serenty (sp) made that crack about mobile phones.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
It all adds to the drama of Shane Warne. They did that perfectly last night, drew it out nicely!
I guess because his batting is known for that 99 and he has records like being the highest Test run scorer without a century and whatnot, it makes it big news.

He's a legend, and this just makes his career all the more memorable!

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
I thought the look on his face was funnier when Vince Serenty (sp) made that crack about mobile phones.
He looked like he was trying desperately to disappear didn't he!?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Linda said:
He's a legend, and this just makes his career all the more memorable!
A legend more like a drug cheat that couldn't handle being second best and fat to boot, so he took drugs to lose 10 to 15 kgs and improve his abilty to bowl long spells. Then took some other drugs to cover the first set of drugs and then blamed his mum. A legend i don't think, unless of course u think Ben Johnson is a legend. If ben Johnson world record was taken off him then Warnie record should be taken of him. A drug cheat with a world record that just stupid.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A legend more like a drug cheat that couldn't handle being second best and fat to boot, so he took drugs to lose 10 to 15 kgs and improve his abilty to bowl long spells. Then took some other drugs to cover the first set of drugs and then blamed his mum. A legend i don't think, unless of course u think Ben Johnson is a legend. If ben Johnson world record was taken off him then Warnie record should be taken of him. A drug cheat with a world record that just stupid.
"Look out! Killjoy was here!"

Ben Johnson was PROVEABLE doping with anabolic steroids whereas no such thing ever happened to Warnie. They only ever found diuretic-like stuff in his urine and nothing else. You can believe what you want but you've actually got no idea if you're right or not.

I suspect you are wrong, though; if Warnie was taking any growth hormones/'roids, he'd have been a LOT bigger. Take it from a (former) professional chemist.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
I know! Why don't you post a list of stupid selectively chosen statistics proving that Murali is better than Warne! 8-)

Scallywag

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
I know! Why don't you post a list of stupid selectively chosen statistics proving that Murali is better than Warne! 8-)
Better still he could go on a hunger strike until they take the record off Warnie.
:D :D :D :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chaminda_00 said:
You can't go meddling with the records of Test-cricket - they're nowhere near as straightforward as those of athletics.
You take away every Warne wicket that he was suspected to have taken while using the drugs (which you can never be anything like certain of anyway), you then have to change all the batsmen who've been dismissed by him, take away all runs scored off him, etc.
It doesn't work. You can't go erasing things in cricket - what has happened must stay happened, otherwise you get into immeasurable complications.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
I guess because his batting is known for that 99 and he has records like being the highest Test run scorer without a century and whatnot, it makes it big news.
I'm almost positive he was dropped at least twice anyway, so no-one can possible complain about anything.
If anyone's taking the thing seriously they're a little delusional.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chaminda_00 said:
It is time to bring on technology to call front foot no balls, cus crap umpires like D.Hair need all the help they can get. Not surprising that he was the umpire that missed the no-ball, i'm sure he missed allot more things in his umpiring career. U probably find that he missed something when Lara got his to World Records. Worst umpire who has ever umpired a Test in my opinion.
Peter Manuel is the worst... of those I've seen of course, and the amount of Umpires most of us have never seen is innumerable.
To call anyone the worst Umpire ever to Umpire a Test-match is ludicrous because no-one can possibly have watched 1\4 of the Umpires to Umpire in Test-cricket.
Anyhow, I personally find Darrell Hair an excellent Umpire whose decision-making is far better than most - indeed it's even been better than his near-namesake (Daryl Harper) in the last couple of years and that certainly didn't used to be the case.