Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 102

Thread: Rawalpindi Express derailed

  1. #1
    School Boy/Girl Captain dudeurfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    169

    Rawalpindi Express derailed

    The master of fast(speed)bowling Shoiabh Aktar has been constantly plagued by injuries.The time has come for him to concentrate more on bowling accurately(perhaps with a shorter run-up as suggested by bob-woolmer).He should perhaps learn few things from brettlee and try to bowl with shorter run-ups.This would indeed result in him getting injured less frequently and also would enhance his career...... have your say people.....

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,688
    He could bowl with a long run up until he gets into rhythm and then, maybe he could switch to a shorter run up.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  3. #3
    Banned wahindiawah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeurfriend
    .He should perhaps learn few things from brettlee and try to bowl with shorter run-ups.This would indeed result in him getting injured less frequently and also would enhance his career...... have your say people.....
    Yeah the way Brett lee is bowling sooooo wonderfully in test matches, Akhtar can surely learn alot from him .

    Akhtar can learn something from Irfan Pathan, and the thing he can learn is Irfan's good positive attitude, thats what Akhtar lacks. All this talk about long run up is old and useless as if the bowler himself is not comfortable with a shorter run up then its no point to reduce the run up.

  4. #4
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,673
    If he can control it, he can bowl what he likes.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.


  5. #5
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Imran , in the latest Sporttar has written in detail about the need for Shoaib to cut down on his run up and not to chsrge in full steam ahead from the beginning of the run. Not because he would hurt himself (which he would) but also because he didnt need it. He says he tried to convince Shoaib who just refuses to listen.

    I am not surprised there are people on this forum who refuse to listen to the same.

  6. #6
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,584
    Quote Originally Posted by wahindiawah
    Yeah the way Brett lee is bowling sooooo wonderfully in test matches, Akhtar can surely learn alot from him .

    For once I thought you were being unbiased, but then you decided he needed help from Pathan (!)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  7. #7
    International Regular bryce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Hamilton,NZ
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    For once I thought you were being unbiased, but then you decided he needed help from Pathan (!)
    yes i was in disbelief for a moment aswell
    ODI XI to match the best
    1.Ryder
    2.McCullum+
    3.Guptill
    4.Taylor
    5.Broom
    6.Oram
    7.Elliott
    8.Vettori*
    9.Mills
    10.Southee
    11.Bond
    ringaz_ride@hotmail.com
    To answer your question, yes
    Thanks?
    METEORIC RISE ?

  8. #8
    Cricket Spectator -dude-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    For once I thought you were being unbiased, but then you decided he needed help from Pathan (!)
    Yeah, I thought too....Pathan's record so far without help from Bangladesh?

    However, keeping on-topic....Shoaib is simply a GREAT bowler, they are the facts, and I am speaking unbiasedly. If he had a temperament that was more perseverant, less-willing to give up the fight when things are against him, he would be MORE of a match-winner, instead of producing good results in losing efforts. Although, it would be handy if Pakistan could find a decent test bowler who can support him at the other end.


  9. #9
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Imran , in the latest Sporttar has written in detail about the need for Shoaib to cut down on his run up and not to chsrge in full steam ahead from the beginning of the run. Not because he would hurt himself (which he would) but also because he didnt need it. He says he tried to convince Shoaib who just refuses to listen.

    I am not surprised there are people on this forum who refuse to listen to the same.
    You say this so dismissively. I'd count myself as one who doesn't think that just because this gets repeated often, it must be true.

    The problem is that Shoaib is an injury prone fast bowler. He's not the first, and certainly won't be the last (I remember being frustrated with Gillespie's constant injuries, but I don't remember people taking so many stabs at his fortitude). Akhtar's biggest problem is his big mouth, which makes him a target for those that think he's too big for his britches (he sometimes is, even if he sometimes isn't), and who want to tear him down for being too soft, for pretending to be hurt, for not listening to Imran Khan, or having too long a runup, or whatever.

    There's no guarantee, whatever Imran Khan may think, that Shoaib will be the same force with a shorter runup. The only time we've seen him attempt it was late in the test series, and to me, he looked terrible. Maybe he can persevere with this and improve, maybe he can't - it just isn't a given, as people seem to imply, that it will make him a better bowler, or more consistent, just because there are great bowlers out there who did it.

    Personally I dislike how the issue becomes what Shoaib HAS to do, when he's still the best fast bowler Pakistan has, and he seems to get very little credit for the effort he puts in, especially considering his sterling solo efforts this last series.

    I had thought that the comments in the Australian press by Ponting etc were just the usual psychological baiting. First he gets criticised for not shortening his runup, then, when it's shortened, the Aussies are "surprised" he wasn't trying harder, and steaming in to take their wickets. Not unusually, it's a no-win situation for Akhtar. Pakistan's biggest concern should be his bowling support, rather than constant attacks on Shoaib himself, IMO. Maybe leave that to the opposition.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  10. #10
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Yes I do. And I will tell you why.

    I have heard and read many fast bowlers agree to this, that reducing the run up and/or not running at full pace from first step but accelrating and going full pace only in the last six-seven steps.

    But I have yet to hear OR read from any fast bowler, current or old to say that the contrary is true.

    Surely Shoaib cant be the only one who is correct.

    Yes there are those who feel he should be left alone. Sure enough, if he is not going to listen you have to leave him alone. But no one(a fast bowler himself) has said that this advise does not make sense.

    I am willing to be corrected.

  11. #11
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Yes he is injury prone. So whats new? So is every fast bowler. But many of them realised what they had to do and prolonged their careers. There are dozens of examples. Both the run up and even more than that the action can cause severe strains and long term damage.

    If Lillee had not been prepared to listen and change he would never have been able to come back from a crippling injury miraculously. If Shoaib is not willing to listen, it is his funeral. But this cant be commended as " the poor fellow is putting in so much hard work".

    What Ponting and company say does not matter. No one is saying he should listen to them. That doesnt mean he should not listen to sound advise given by his well wishers just because an Australian or someone who is not a well wisher said it too. This is strange logic.

  12. #12
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™
    You say this so dismissively. I'd count myself as one who doesn't think that just because this gets repeated often, it must be true.

    The problem is that Shoaib is an injury prone fast bowler. He's not the first, and certainly won't be the last (I remember being frustrated with Gillespie's constant injuries, but I don't remember people taking so many stabs at his fortitude). Akhtar's biggest problem is his big mouth, which makes him a target for those that think he's too big for his britches (he sometimes is, even if he sometimes isn't), and who want to tear him down for being too soft, for pretending to be hurt, for not listening to Imran Khan, or having too long a runup, or whatever.

    There's no guarantee, whatever Imran Khan may think, that Shoaib will be the same force with a shorter runup. The only time we've seen him attempt it was late in the test series, and to me, he looked terrible. Maybe he can persevere with this and improve, maybe he can't - it just isn't a given, as people seem to imply, that it will make him a better bowler, or more consistent, just because there are great bowlers out there who did it.

    Personally I dislike how the issue becomes what Shoaib HAS to do, when he's still the best fast bowler Pakistan has, and he seems to get very little credit for the effort he puts in, especially considering his sterling solo efforts this last series.

    I had thought that the comments in the Australian press by Ponting etc were just the usual psychological baiting. First he gets criticised for not shortening his runup, then, when it's shortened, the Aussies are "surprised" he wasn't trying harder, and steaming in to take their wickets. Not unusually, it's a no-win situation for Akhtar. Pakistan's biggest concern should be his bowling support, rather than constant attacks on Shoaib himself, IMO. Maybe leave that to the opposition.
    The only time I saw Akhter use a shorter run-up was during the Asia Cup few months ago against India, when Pakistan were trying to stop India from getting that blasted bonus point. His shorter run-up was very economical, but you could tell that Akhter himself wasn't very comfortable with it.

    I say, leave the guy alone, and stop using him as a scapegoat for Pakistan's past failures, instead appreciate his efforts. Don't deny him the credit he's deserved for his efforts to win games for Pakistan. He's no Wasim Akram or Waqar Younis, but he gives it his very best.

    That said, I still think he's an a$$.

  13. #13
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    The only time I saw Akhter use a shorter run-up was during the Asia Cup few months ago against India, when Pakistan were trying to stop India from getting that blasted bonus point. His shorter run-up was very economical, but you could tell that Akhter himself wasn't very comfortable with it.

    I say, leave the guy alone, and stop using him as a scapegoat for Pakistan's past failures, instead appreciate his efforts. Don't deny him the credit he's deserved for his efforts to win games for Pakistan. He's no Wasim Akram or Waqar Younis, but he gives it his very best.

    That said, I still think he's an a$$.
    Its not going to be possible for him to cut down on his run up in the middle of a match and be the same bowler. If he tried that, it will only show that it doesnt work.

    It is something he has to agree to try in the nets and work at it over a period of time and do it in a match situation only when he is comfortable with it. It wont happen overnight let alone in the middle of a match.

  14. #14
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Yes I do. And I will tell you why.

    I have heard and read many fast bowlers agree to this, that reducing the run up and/or not running at full pace from first step but accelrating and going full pace only in the last six-seven steps.

    But I have yet to hear OR read from any fast bowler, current or old to say that the contrary is true.

    Surely Shoaib cant be the only one who is correct.

    Yes there are those who feel he should be left alone. Sure enough, if he is not going to listen you have to leave him alone. But no one(a fast bowler himself) has said that this advise does not make sense.

    I am willing to be corrected.
    Firstly, as to the comment "surely Shoaib can't be the only one who is correct.", why can't he be? If the world wants to discuss my mental or physical tolerances, am I not equipped to answer that question accurately on an individual basis? Which is not to say that he can't be wrong, but why the automatic assumption that if he disagrees, he must be?

    Aside from this though, you're over-emphasising anecdotal evidence of bowlers making comments on the issue. How many fast bowlers have said this would be a good idea for Shoaib? Five? Six? Sixty? How much does it matter? Numerous former players have commented on Sehwag's lack of footwork - I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that his footwork is fine. So what?

    My point is that there's a natural assumption that Shoaib must adopt these strategies. I think that he's a magnet for criticism whatever he does - and I think it's largely motivated by problems perceived with his attitude and integrity. You're entitled to a different opinion, but you act as if anybody that disagrees must be in some form of childish denial like Shoaib obviously is. I don't see why.

  15. #15
    International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    winchester, england
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Its not going to be possible for him to cut down on his run up in the middle of a match and be the same bowler. If he tried that, it will only show that it doesnt work.

    It is something he has to agree to try in the nets and work at it over a period of time and do it in a match situation only when he is comfortable with it. It wont happen overnight let alone in the middle of a match.
    Definitely, it is all a question of rhythm and being comfortable. Akhtar can get the same pace of 10 paces rather than running in from the sightscreen. However he feels that he needs such a long run up to be comfortable and in rhythm.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

    'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Another red signal for Rawalpindi Express
    By Sehwag309 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 15-04-2004, 10:26 AM
  2. The First express fast bowler from INDIA!!
    By vandemataram in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 17-09-2003, 03:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •