• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Allan Border Medal

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Mr Casson said:
Whatever the media writes about the players personalities etc., the votes were counted on performances; it isn't a popularity contest.
It is, to an extent. How else do you explain Steve Waugh winning ahead of Mark in 2001?

I wanted Martyn to win that AB Medal badly. :dry:

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Blewy said:
Cosgrove the Young Cricketer..... Thats one very interesting one.... Considering he was dropped just the other day...
Very interesting indeed. Who made that choice? He's been averaging less than a couple of the South Australian tailenders this season in the Pura Cup! I think he's averaging about 18 this season with the bat... :wacko:

eastley

Cricket Spectator
Casson!! Clarke taking 6 wickets in that test was my point, he got a vote from the Media for it and well deserved that vote. Even if he didn't bat his best.

And as for Cosgrove

Career Statistics:
FIRST-CLASS
(2002/03 - 2004/05; last updated 30/01/2005)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 17 31 1 950 144 31.66 57.12 2 6 20 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 49 16 169 6 28.16 1-0 0 0 49.0 3.44

LIST A LIMITED OVERS
Batting & Fielding 23 23 1 485 73 22.04 71.42 0 3 5 0

O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 17.1 0 121 0 - - 0 0 - 7.04

And just remember he is only 20!!!

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
eastley said:
Casson!! Clarke taking 6 wickets in that test was my point, he got a vote from the Media for it and well deserved that vote. Even if he didn't bat his best.

And as for Cosgrove

Career Statistics:
FIRST-CLASS
Batting & Fielding 17 31 1 950 144 31.66 57.12 2 6 20 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 49 16 169 6 28.16 1-0 0 0 49.0 3.44

LIST A LIMITED OVERS
Batting & Fielding 23 23 1 485 73 22.04 71.42 0 3 5 0

O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 17.1 0 121 0 - - 0 0 - 7.04

And just remember he is only 20!!!
Cosgrove might want to get that one-day economy rate down.

eastley

Cricket Spectator
That bunch of stats didn't look like that when I put then in there. Cosgrove is only 20, and as like clarke did he could really mature in the next 2 years. And tassietiger how are you? nice to see a fellow statseman around.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
it was pretty even in the end.

Clarke's had a big year and is a deserving AB medalist, although i thought Martyn and Gillespie had all round better years.

Cosgrove i thought was a bit lucky in the young cricketer. Probably the most talented of the group eligible in the category, but i think Callum Ferguson's performances should've given him the award - he'll probably score it next year.

Bichel was well deserved for state player of the year. Took nearly 100 wickets during the time frame available for votes in the Sheffield Shield and ING Cup. Put in some good batting digs as well.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
eastley said:
where'd you find out the media votes for each game??

eastley

Cricket Spectator
Black Thunder its called Pura Cup now not sheffield shield, u gotta remember they change it all the damn time to suit the sponsors (really hate that). Anyway I think bichel took 82 wickets and averaged 22 with the bat for the season. I want to know how he didn't get in the Australian team with those performances, and he was consistant to.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I always feel that for such awards as players of the year, if it becomes very close in the end, if there is a difference of less than a specific number of points, say 10, there should be repolling putting just the two players in question for nomination to award the winner. If it is still very close (number for close smaller than earlier say 3-5 points), you award it to both the people.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
eastley said:
Black Thunder its called Pura Cup now not sheffield shield, u gotta remember they change it all the damn time to suit the sponsors (really hate that).
still the Sheffield Shield to me. Never won't be.

eastley

Cricket Spectator
Black Thunder said:
where'd you find out the media votes for each game??

they said on TV here down in Tasmania, cant exactly point out who said it as I was only listening not watching, and I aint the best of pointing out peoples voices.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
eastley said:
they said on TV here down in Tasmania, cant exactly point out who said it as I was only listening not watching, and I aint the best of pointing out peoples voices.
How old are you?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Personally, I think Martyn should have won the AB medal rather than Clarke, since Clarke really only had two good series this year, whereas Martyn had 5, and while Clarke was better in the one dayers Martyn wasn't far behind. Regardless, the one day and test winners were entirely justified. For all the flak Symonds has been hit with in the last couple of weeks by people with short memories, he's had a spectacular 12 months, and carried the Australian team in Sri Lanka, in the toughest one dayers they faced all year.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
exactly right.

well done symonds - australia's best odi player :D

and some people want him dropped.... :S

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
It was a disgrace to see Eddy McGuire hosting the ABM. The guy knows nothing about cricket and there are people like AB, Benaud and co. who have been involved in TV a lot longer.

My apologies if this has already bee stated.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
they cant just give it out in hinesight, thats why the players and the media vote at the time, so its an accumlative thing, i thought clarkey would win (see earlier post) and i still think he deserved it, i was sure in matches where he did well he could get the 3 points, however with Martyn, in games like Perth when he got his ton, he only got 1 point...

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Will Scarlet said:
It was a disgrace to see Eddy McGuire hosting the ABM. The guy knows nothing about cricket and there are people like AB, Benaud and co. who have been involved in TV a lot longer.

My apologies if this has already bee stated.
We all know whos ass young Eddys been riding, **** I can't stand the guy. I'm sure young Slats would have done a much better job :P

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hmm i thought it would have been better to give the OD award to the person from the 3 that got votes in the most games, not the most votes of 3.... for mine kaspa deserved it far more that symonds, no matter though :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
they cant just give it out in hinesight, thats why the players and the media vote at the time, so its an accumlative thing, i thought clarkey would win (see earlier post) and i still think he deserved it, i was sure in matches where he did well he could get the 3 points, however with Martyn, in games like Perth when he got his ton, he only got 1 point...

yeah who got votes in different games were interesting at times.... mcgrath only 2 votes after taking 8/28....