• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lucky Gilly

Ganesh Kumar

Cricket Spectator
Ritchie Benaud called him the hardest hitter of a cricket ball that he has seen. He might well add that he is the luckiest batsman he has ever seen.

cricket player

International Debutant
If you want to be a hard hitting batsman you might want to have some luck to go with that.Oh....dear dont listen to ritchie benaud he spoiled cricket 2004.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cricket player said:
If you want to be a hard hitting batsman you might want to have some luck to go with that.Oh....dear dont listen to ritchie benaud he spoiled cricket 2004.
Great bat....but does seem to enjoy more than his fair share of luck

Scallywag

Banned
zinzan12 said:
Great bat....but does seem to enjoy more than his fair share of luck
When Gilly does get a chance more is made of it than any another player because giving him a chance can cost a great deal.

All players have luck just some get highlighted more than others.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scallywag said:
When Gilly does get a chance more is made of it than any another player because giving him a chance can cost a great deal.

IMO he seems to get more chances than most and umpiring decisions

Sehwag309

Banned
Scallywag said:

I will highlight this as evidence, dont mind...many great AUZZIE arm-chair commentators on this forum seem to think luck is only with Indians and batsmen should be awarded the runs before they were dropped

Thanx

Heard the Sig, made by an Idiot though :cool:

Scallywag

Banned
Sehwag309 said:
I will highlight this as evidence, dont mind...many great AUZZIE arm-chair commentators on this forum seem to think luck is only with Indians and batsmen should be awarded the runs before they were dropped

Thanx

Heard the Sig, made by an Idiot though :cool:
Evidence of what? :wacko:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilchrist, Symonds, Sehwag... ferocious hitters of the ball who often give chances only to be dropped - it's not all luck.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
He does get a lot of luck, but as the old saying goes fortune favours the brave.

He backs himself, and he goes hard at the ball, meaning when he edges it it's usually going to go wider than the standard three or four slips that are put in place. And it usually goes higher than the slips fielder in any case.

It's not just Gilly - if you look right through the cricketing world, guys who are hard hitters of the ball all enjoy a fair slice of luck.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Black Thunder said:
He does get a lot of luck, but as the old saying goes fortune favours the brave.

He backs himself, and he goes hard at the ball, meaning when he edges it it's usually going to go wider than the standard three or four slips that are put in place. And it usually goes higher than the slips fielder in any case.

It's not just Gilly - if you look right through the cricketing world, guys who are hard hitters of the ball all enjoy a fair slice of luck.
Everyone enjoys a slice of luck. I dont think Gilchrist gets more than his share.

The aggressive batsman plays the ball away more often and is thus likely to be dropped more in the outfield and the defensive batsman will be dropped more closer to the wicket (slips etc) relatively speaking.

Somehow, there is a tendency to treat a shot dropped in the outfield as being more chancey (it IS to the extent that the batsman chanced his arm) than the one in slips which is taken as the result of a great delivery. Again I am generalising but you get mu drift I think.

Also, the slash if it goes to the slips, is more likely to be dropped than the defensive prod or push which is more likely to be taken. Same with bat pad catches. Its not a question of luck. The same would happen to your "unlucky" defensive batsmen if they started slashing tomorrow. Of course they willl now get out because they are not playing the way they can do best :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Black Thunder said:
if you look right through the cricketing world, guys who are hard hitters of the ball all enjoy a fair slice of luck.
Erm, I wouldn't say that Flintoff does.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Langeveldt said:
You make your own luck sometimes.. He remains the finest keeper batsman the game has ever seen..
but is he still in the current day? what of sangakara?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Everyone enjoys a slice of luck. I dont think Gilchrist gets more than his share.

yep, you couldn't blame him for getting dropped anyway even if he did get dropped more than others....