• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Trophy Coming Soon!

wadey4

Cricket Spectator
The event where non-test playing nations (i refuse to use the word 'minnow') qualify the for the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies, The ICC Trophy, is coming up in July.
Eleven of the participating nations in the ICC Trophy 2005 are now known and the groups have been drawn. The final team will be the winner of ICC World Cup Qualifying Series (WCQS) event in Malaysia in February.

The Groups Are:

Group A
Bermuda, Denmark, Ireland, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States.

Group B
Canada, Holland, Namibia, Oman, Scotland, WCQS winner.

Does anyone have any comments on who you think will make it or who you'd like to make it?

I like Namibia, Holland and Canada so i want to see them get through (i'm not sure how it all works) and the others i'm not to fussed about.
Even though i'm an Aussie i have a huge interset in non-test playing nations and i know so much about all of them.

P.S: Anyone who just wants to 'Minnow-Bash' (i hate that word) and say stuff like they don't deserve to be there and all that ****, then don't bother posting.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
IIRC the '07 WC has been expanded to 16 teams; which presumably means 5 associates qualify?

I'm surprised not to see Hong Kong in there, especially as they played two proper ODIs in the Asian Cup.

Fom a "British Isles" point of view it'd be nice to see The Sweaties & The Irish go thru.

Josh

International Regular
Bermuda are supposed to be pretty good, Holland will make it you'd reckon, so to Canada, It's probably easier to list the ones that probably won't make it:

USA (i hate to say it, being part-yank myself)
UAE
Uganda
Ireland
Oman

The other teams will tightly contest for the spots I would imagine.

tadeusz

State 12th Man
The teams in the WCQS event are Fiji, PNG, Nepal, Qatar, Italy, Kuwait, Zambia and the Cayman Islands.

wadey4

Cricket Spectator
BoyBrumby said:
I'm surprised not to see Hong Kong in there, especially as they played two proper ODIs in the Asian Cup.
QUOTE]

I think they are part of the WCQS. They did play in the asian cup, i completely forgot about that.
Personally i've got a soft spot for Namibia. I cheered them all the way as the pushed England. I was loving Jan Berry Burgers Innings and remember feeling gutted when he got out, realising that might be the end of it.
Who do you reckon the players to look out for are?
Personally:
John Davison (Canada).
JB Burger (Namibia)
KJ Van Noortwijk (Holland)
GM Hamilton (Scotland)

I think Van noortwijk is a very underrated player. his ODI Batting average is in the 40's.
Hamilton is great too. His 1999 world cup was excellent and he's now back with the Scots after playing 1 test fot England (made a pair).

wadey4

Cricket Spectator
Josh said:
Bermuda are supposed to be pretty good, Holland will make it you'd reckon, so to Canada, It's probably easier to list the ones that probably won't make it:

USA (i hate to say it, being part-yank myself)
UAE
Uganda
Ireland
Oman

The other teams will tightly contest for the spots I would imagine.
Yeah. Maybe Ireland could get through because it's being played over there so the homeground advantage could mean a little for them.

The yanks nearly got some games to be sheduled in Flordia which would have ment auto-qualification (i think) but alas the icc turned them down.

Josh

International Regular
yeh, the stadium just not big enough. Boston would be the place to ever host an ODI in the USA... Plenty of ex-pat Brits there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wadey4 said:
The yanks nearly got some games to be sheduled in Flordia which would have ment auto-qualification (i think) but alas the icc turned them down.
The Septics couldn't guarantee that cricketers of the Islamic faith wouldn't be detained in customs, so The ICC rightly blew them out.

Not often I agree with The ICC! :D

wadey4

Cricket Spectator
Josh said:
yeh, the stadium just not big enough. Boston would be the place to ever host an ODI in the USA... Plenty of ex-pat Brits there.
Whats cricket like in america, is there much of a domestic comp? I heard theres about to be a real push to get cricket really up and running in america.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
wadey4 said:
Who do you reckon the players to look out for are?
Personally:
John Davison (Canada).
JB Burger (Namibia)
KJ Van Noortwijk (Holland)
GM Hamilton (Scotland)
Adding to that list:

John Blain - Scotland - decent bowler for Yorkshire, good talent, only 25-26 years old. Took 7 for 50-odd against Canada in the ICC 3-day final. There's a batsman called Cedric English (who's born on the Cape, SA and nevertheless plays for Scotland) too who's good.

van Noortwijk's retired, I think? Didn't play anything last year...

Khuram Khan and Ali Asad (bowlers) and Arshad Ali (batsman), only Emirates people who are reasonably decent cricketers. Although they're probably all Pakistani originally. ;)

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don't know much too much about cricket in these parts but i would expect either Holland or Namibia to take the title out.