• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kwa-Zulu Natal - disturbing trend

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Their team :-

KwaZulu-Natal Player Pages: R Gobind, WL Madsen, MD Sanders, K Smit, Y Singh, KC Africa, D Smit, N Dladla, W Fynn, WP Lombard, S Mhlongo, ZA Abrahim, U Govender, TD Pillay.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/NEW/LIVE/frames/KZN_NTHNS_UCB-PROV_27-29JAN2005.html

Players of Indian origin :-
R.Gobind, Y.Singh, U.Govender, TD.Pillay

Black players :- quite a lot from the looks of it.

This team makes me very apprehensive about the South African selection policies. Tsolilike selection was just the tip of the ice berg. From what I have heard, the school and younger teams have this much more evident and sadly its precipitating in the FC teams as well.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Just because they have a lot of black players, doesn't mean they are in there because of the colour of skin...

The worst problem of the quota system, is that any succesful black person in South Africa is now looked on as if they shouldn't really be doing their job... By those still wishing they were behind the walls of apartheid anyway..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Just because they have a lot of black players, doesn't mean they are in there because of the colour of skin...
Top statement.

You can't assume that because the black players are outnumbered in the FC game they're not as good or even better than their white counterparts.

Bookie

U19 12th Man
But theyve produced test players such as Pollock and Klusener, so theyre just a teamw ithout their stars. Look at NSW in the ING cup - they're a long way behind, but it's becuase players such as Katich, Clarke, McGrath, Haddin are all too busy playing for Austarlia.

In South Africa, colour may be a factor (but not in FC cricket, seriosuly), but I dont think it has anything to do with performances.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
From a distance, it appears to be a good thing there are so many black and coloured players in the team. Isn't that the whole idea of growing the sport in South Africa?

I really don't see the problem here.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Langeveldt said:
When you have players like Tsolilike coming over, you cant help butwonder. Also, its no secret that the quote system is running rampant.

I dont have a problem with black or coloured lpayers but they should be the best.

I only always wish the best team plays always. With the quotas starting right from the school teams, that is sadly not the case.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Tsolekille definitely has set the wrong precendent. For people like us, looking at things from a distance, once we see a RSA FC team with a lot of blacks and asians, we always tend to think "There goes the quota system again." I mean, that Natal side could be the best they have, but it is hard to not have our brains thinking about the quota system at some level.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
honestbharani said:
but it is hard to not have our brains thinking about the quota system at some level.
It is present right from the lowest levels. As a white young school boy, I would be frustrated if a coloured young player gets into the team ahead of me even he is worse.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
When you have players like Tsolilike coming over, you cant help butwonder. Also, its no secret that the quote system is running rampant.

I dont have a problem with black or coloured lpayers but they should be the best.

I only always wish the best team plays always. With the quotas starting right from the school teams, that is sadly not the case.
Be fair. Tsolekile is good enough to average 30 in FC cricket and is a very good wicketkeeper. Why shouldn't he be playing FC cricket?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Be fair. Tsolekile is good enough to average 30 in FC cricket and is a very good wicketkeeper. Why shouldn't he be playing FC cricket?
lol. I think he was referring to him being picked ahead of Boucher and even De Villiers.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
When did I say he didnt deserve to play FC cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:

Well you'd better learn to live with it.. Until the whole psyche of post apartheid South Africa disappears you will see quotas with everything.. I can't say it is all bad when you get guys like Ntini, Ngam, Tshabalala, Zondeki coming through..

Anyway, your title of the thread "disturbing trend", which highlights the lack of white players makes pretty sour reading to be honest.. And I don't remember a school that picked their teams with quotas

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
When did I say he didnt deserve to play FC cricket.
This post:

...in response to Rich's post about the number of black players in domestic cricket. Logical assumption.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
This post:

...in response to Rich's post about the number of black players in domestic cricket. Logical assumption.
Well the whole controvesry over Tsolilike has been at him playing at the international level. So I stated about the internationals. It could also have been assumed that in the past light.

Forget it we both agree he deserved to play FC cricket.