• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team will hav lost the most current players by 2007 W.cup?

Josh

International Regular
I'm not sure. Probably Australia or New Zealand. India may be pushing a bit aswell, the batting lineup mainly.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I can't see either Australia or NZ enduring a batch of retirements in the next two years - I mean, 32 isn't old!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is actually a good question. Right off the top of my head, I'm thinking the Sri Lankans may lose a few though I may be off track. How much longer do Atapattu and Jayasuriya have in the ODI game? I'm not sure of their ages, but Jayasuriya must be pushing it.

I can't see India losing anyone due to retirement by the WC other than possible Kumble, who may retire from ODIs since he's barely being picked anyway. England seem fresh, and Pakistan, though struggling, have a very young side with just Inzy getting on in age.

I need to think about this more.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I can't really see Australia losing anybody, except for Darren Lehmann. If someone like Hayden remains in shocking form all the way he will probably not be in the side by 2007, but I don't think anybody else will be retiring of their own volition. However, Australia is likely to see a major number of players retiring after the World Cup, or soon after it. Warne and McGrath spring to mind, and Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Kasprowicz and Gilchrist will all be into their mid to late 30s by the time the World Cup rolls around.

Aside from Australia, there aren't many obvious candidates. I think like the last time, people are likely to hang around for the World Cup and retire after it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I reckon there's likely to be a big wedge of ODI retirements in the wake of the 2007 World Cup, but very few beforehand - I mean, what's the point in playing ODIs now if you don't want to play in the next WC?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Neil Pickup said:
I reckon there's likely to be a big wedge of ODI retirements in the wake of the 2007 World Cup, but very few beforehand - I mean, what's the point in playing ODIs now if you don't want to play in the next WC?
Yeah fair point. It'll probably be the end of a lot of good careers. Lara, Jayasuriya, Cairns, Kumble, McGrath and probably many others that I'm missing. The question is, who will go out on top? :-O

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have to say Sri Lanka. Only because they have the chance of losing some players in 2 years. Maybe Jayasuriya will retire ebfore that? Bleak chance of that as well as its just 2 years.

I dont see many players retiring before 2007 world cup though in any team but think Sri Lanka may lose the most.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I have to say Sri Lanka. Only because they have the chance of losing some players in 2 years. Maybe Jayasuriya will retire ebfore that? Bleak chance of that as well as its just 2 years.

I dont see many players retiring before 2007 world cup though in any team but think Sri Lanka may lose the most.
I cant see any voluntary retirements anywhere. Honstly. :sleep:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SJS said:
I cant see any voluntary retirements anywhere. Honstly. :sleep:
Really? McGrath's 35 next month, that's pretty long in the tooth for a seamer. I think he may well go after The Ashes.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Really? McGrath's 35 next month, that's pretty long in the tooth for a seamer. I think he may well go after The Ashes.
Yes. I was forgetting him and Pollock maybe just maybe.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jono said:
Yeah fair point. It'll probably be the end of a lot of good careers. Lara, Jayasuriya, Cairns, Kumble, McGrath and probably many others that I'm missing. The question is, who will go out on top? :-O
The answer is, in all likelihood, Australia :(

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
McGrath has said before that he feels very good, and that he thinks he is at his peak and will play until the World Cup. These things can change of course, but certainly he is aiming to play on after the Ashes right now.

Bookie

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Pollock isn't that old is he?
He'd only be on the verge of turning 34 during the World Cup, so he's not that old. They'll keep him in the side for his great batting if he can't bowl.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
You make it sound like the World Cup is the only thing worth bothering with in One Day cricket.. I find that worrying..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bookie said:
He'd only be on the verge of turning 34 during the World Cup, so he's not that old. They'll keep him in the side for his great batting if he can't bowl.
I hope that's irony, 'cos he looked very average with the bat in the test series; he particularly didn't fancy Freddie's short pitched stuff.

dinu23

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
I can't really see Australia losing anybody, except for Darren Lehmann. If someone like Hayden remains in shocking form all the way he will probably not be in the side by 2007, but I don't think anybody else will be retiring of their own volition. However, Australia is likely to see a major number of players retiring after the World Cup, or soon after it. Warne and McGrath spring to mind, and Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Kasprowicz and Gilchrist will all be into their mid to late 30s by the time the World Cup rolls around.

Aside from Australia, there aren't many obvious candidates. I think like the last time, people are likely to hang around for the World Cup and retire after it.
Agreed. the first team that comes to mind is Australia. but I think most Aus players will retire after the world cup.