• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fiery said:
I think he's referring to the misprint. Hamish MacDonald was a particularly hardworking and conscientious All Black lock of the 70s, a strong scrummager and effective front of the lineout jumper. He formed a strong partnership in the 2nd row with Peter Whiting. :dry:
:oops:
:sadwalk:

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
If Kasper is dropped for the first Test, that will be a disgrace. Lots of players are in form and don't get picked because the player who is there already is performing too.
That's an outstanding point. For some reason, some observers seem to think that Lee is an exception to that rule. Didn't see people demanding that Hayden, when he was plundering all those runs in the mid 1990's, be selected in front of a then outstanding Slater. And rightly so. The Lee/Kaspa selection is no different - Lee must bide his time and wait for someone to slip.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
username1234 said:
marc, that's a pretty stupid post surely you can work out that indian's are culturally and geneticly completely differnt to nz/aus.
It was trying to dispell the population thing that people use as an excuse at times.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slow Love™ said:
It doesn't seem that long ago that they had some small chance of pinching top position in ODI's. Looks a ridiculous concept now.
To be fair, for that to happen didn't they have to win every game in sight whilst Australia lost every game to Pakistan and WI?

It was such a remote chance it was miniscule.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Fiery said:
I think he's referring to the misprint. Hamish MacDonald was a particularly hardworking and conscientious All Black lock of the 70s, a strong scrummager and effective front of the lineout jumper. He formed a strong partnership in the 2nd row with Peter Whiting. :dry:
And owing to injury problems he's next in line for a call up to the Test side!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I'm no expert on New Zealand domestic players, but who is he?!
Wellington medium pace bowler who has a decent domestic record - I was as surprised as you were to hear he'd been named in the test side though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
To be fair, for that to happen didn't they have to win every game in sight whilst Australia lost every game to Pakistan and WI?

It was such a remote chance it was miniscule.
Still a possibility, no matter how small. The tsunami disaster causing the Sri Lankans to return home certainly didn't help the Black Caps' causes of having a reasonable chance mind you.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Current results don't suggest that.
And one series against the best side in the world changes that? If Oram and Styris return to the side, I believe we should be ranked number two in the world, it's just an unfortunate run of injuries, bad form and a brilliant Australia side changing the majority's views.

Fiery

Banned
marc71178 said:
Stop whinging about a non-event then.
You might think it's a non-event but you haven't even seen it so aren't really in a position to comment on my opinion on the matter. If it was such a non-event why are there so many articles and so much debate going on in the papers in both NZ and Australia a couple of days after the "non-event".

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Look at the conditions, and it's obvious Sri Lanka had a huge advantage. In Australia right now, they'd stand no chance - at least our lads could handle the pace and drew the series.

bryce

International Regular
although i've yet to see him bowl, iain o'brien is said to have been picked because he has a big heart and that's what NZ need against australia - a bowler who can just keep going all day, i'm not saying it's likely to win them matches(nothing is) but it is certain to give them a bit more credibility, he has also been a consistent performer in domestic cricket over the past 3/4 seasons and has earnt selection through performance which means it is a deserved call-up and cannot really be disputed(coupled with the fact that he has the best domestic bowling record in NZ)

meanwhile the squad for the 5th ODI has been announced with tama canning returning to the international stage and daniel vettori making a return,

*Stephen Fleming
Chris Cairns
Tama Canning
Craig Cumming
Lance Hamilton
+Brendon McCullum
Craig McMillan
Hamish Marshall
James Marshall
Kyle Mills
Jeff Wilson
Daniel Vettori

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
I find this caption under a pic of Clarke's caught and bowled: "Michael Clarke takes a spectacular one-hander to remove New Zealand's Hamish McDonald in the fourth one-dayer at Wellington's Basin Reserve /AP" from foxsports australia
Similar to this amusing gem from howstat.com today:

"Malcolm Marshall became the 24th batsman from New Zealand to aggregate 1,000 runs or more in LOIs."