Page 3 of 239 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 3585

Thread: **Official** New Zealand v Australia

  1. #31
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Yeah but England didn't draw a test series with Aus like NZ did in the ODI's against Aus. And that series was very very even
    1-1 yes, but whereas the first game could've gone either way, the second wasn't as close as the scoreline would suggest.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  2. #32
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    1-1 yes, but whereas the first game could've gone either way, the second wasn't as close as the scoreline would suggest.
    Hmm agree that the first could have gone either way but Australia never made enough runs.

    The second was an interesting game because if Mills hadn't of gone crazy with the bat NZ would have been beaten by a decent scoreline but IIRC Styris, Oram and definetly McCullum were all given shocking decisions by Peter Parker (ones that I have come to expect when playing in Aus though) and the game might have been pretty close had those decisions not gone against us.

  3. #33
    State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Auckland,N.Z
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    1-1 yes, but whereas the first game could've gone either way, the second wasn't as close as the scoreline would suggest.
    Did you see the Mcullum dismissal?
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120


    RIP Fardin 1990-2006

  4. #34
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    1-1 yes, but whereas the first game could've gone either way, the second wasn't as close as the scoreline would suggest.
    That is ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. Prior to Vettori's senseless run-out New Zealand were in a great position to win the 2nd match.


  5. #35
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,661
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry
    That is ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. Prior to Vettori's senseless run-out New Zealand were in a great position to win the 2nd match.
    Possibly only because Aussie had brought the part-timers on, having assumed the game was safe.

  6. #36
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    What do you guys think about the loss of Vettori? Personally, I think that given the nature of NZ conditions historically, it's not a big loss. All of the potential seam options have career averages of less than 30 in NZ (well, Butler averages 30.14 or something), while Vettori's average in NZ is over 37.

    I tried this line of reasoning out at another forum tho, and they were all convinced that Vettori was far and away NZ's best bowler and we were no chance without him.

  7. #37
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    Possibly only because Aussie had brought the part-timers on, having assumed the game was safe.
    The horse had well and truly bolted by the time Vettori was run-out, McGrath had come back into the attack and the Aussies were panicking.

    Australia's own tactical mistakes are rather beside the point anyway.

  8. #38
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,661
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry
    The horse had well and truly bolted by the time Vettori was run-out, McGrath had come back into the attack and the Aussies were panicking.

    Australia's own tactical mistakes are rather beside the point anyway.
    No they're not - they have everything to do with it.

    And you don't seem to get my point.

  9. #39
    State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Auckland,N.Z
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry
    What do you guys think about the loss of Vettori? Personally, I think that given the nature of NZ conditions historically, it's not a big loss. All of the potential seam options have career averages of less than 30 in NZ (well, Butler averages 30.14 or something), while Vettori's average in NZ is over 37.

    I tried this line of reasoning out at another forum tho, and they were all convinced that Vettori was far and away NZ's best bowler and we were no chance without him.
    You're right, but only a fool would deny that he was brilliant against Aus.

  10. #40
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    He was one of the most, if not the most effective against Oz.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

  11. #41
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,082
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    You may have a better winning percentage, but then again England's Test winning percentage was better in 2004 - and nobody says they're a better Test side.
    Simply because clearly they don't

  12. #42
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,082
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Yeah, right. Australia played New Zealand three times last year in ODIs and won twice. What evidence is there exactly to suggest that New Zealand are a superior one day outfit?
    If you don't think winning percentages matter...What about the fact NZ have beaten Aust in 4 out of the last 6 ODI's against Aust in Australia?

  13. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    If you don't think winning percentages matter...What about the fact NZ have beaten Aust in 4 out of the last 6 ODI's against Aust in Australia?
    How about Australia beating New Zealand in 80% of the last 10 ODI's they have played.

  14. #44
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    How about Australia beating New Zealand in 80% of the last 10 ODI's they have played.

    More relative is the most recent series they have had which was 1-1 .

    Lucky scoreline as well for Aust IMO thanks to fatty Parker.

    I think given the 1-1 scoreline (in aust) and the fact NZ have had a better winning percentage in 2004 is enough for us Kiwi fans to believe we are up with (not better than) Aust in ODI's.

    Tests are obviously a diff kettle of fish, but ODI's, i think we r up there with them.

  15. #45
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,200
    australia to win the tests, but not by as much as everyone thinks. hayden and clarke each to have a poor series, especially if the pitches do assist the bowlers. ODIs - australia to get out of jail, win 3-2 after being 2-1 down.

Page 3 of 239 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •