• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
You may have a better winning percentage, but then again England's Test winning percentage was better in 2004 - and nobody says they're a better Test side.
Simply because clearly they don't

Zinzan

FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, right. Australia played New Zealand three times last year in ODIs and won twice. What evidence is there exactly to suggest that New Zealand are a superior one day outfit?
If you don't think winning percentages matter...What about the fact NZ have beaten Aust in 4 out of the last 6 ODI's against Aust in Australia?

Scallywag

Banned
zinzan12 said:
If you don't think winning percentages matter...What about the fact NZ have beaten Aust in 4 out of the last 6 ODI's against Aust in Australia?
How about Australia beating New Zealand in 80% of the last 10 ODI's they have played.

Zinzan

Scallywag said:
How about Australia beating New Zealand in 80% of the last 10 ODI's they have played.

More relative is the most recent series they have had which was 1-1 .

Lucky scoreline as well for Aust IMO thanks to fatty Parker.

I think given the 1-1 scoreline (in aust) and the fact NZ have had a better winning percentage in 2004 is enough for us Kiwi fans to believe we are up with (not better than) Aust in ODI's.

Tests are obviously a diff kettle of fish, but ODI's, i think we r up there with them.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
australia to win the tests, but not by as much as everyone thinks. hayden and clarke each to have a poor series, especially if the pitches do assist the bowlers. ODIs - australia to get out of jail, win 3-2 after being 2-1 down.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
They will replace Oram with Wilson
So I guess that would mean McCullum bats at 6 in the tests, followed by Wiseman, Wilson and three more bowlers (any of Tuffey, Franklin, Mills, Butler, Martin etc.).

I do rate McCullum but I'd still be very nervous about that line-up, considering the best partnerships we've had against AUS in recent years tend to be for the 6th-8th wicket when we've finally worn them down.

As if they need it, the Aussie attack may well be buoyed by thinking..."f***, these openers and Styris/McMillan shouldn't be too difficult, so we're only Fleming and Astle away from the tail."

bryce

International Regular
Kippax said:
So I guess that would mean McCullum bats at 6 in the tests, followed by Wiseman, Wilson and three more bowlers (any of Tuffey, Franklin, Mills, Butler, Martin etc.).
why play five bowlers? i would just play 4 seamers out of tuffey, franklin, butler, martin and wilson - i think that would be the right team balance for the test series, we can't afford to have the batting even weaker and a fifth bowler(including wiseman) isn't likely to make much of a difference

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeez, I can see the sh*t starting to hit the fan already in this thread.

Australia to win the test series comfortably...NZ to win the ODI series 3-2...I reckon Australia are very beatable in that form of the game at the moment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BlackCap_Fan said:
Did you see the Mcullum dismissal?
Oh yes, because needed 100 runs from 77 balls with 3 wickets left (1 of which was an injured player) is such a simple thing that it was obvious that NZ were going to win from there 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
Relevance of games a long time ago to current teams?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
Four of which were years ago. In the last 12 months they have met three times and Australia won twice. And the winning percentages against different opposition is irrelevant because... well... the opposition is different. It's not a valid point of comparison.

England are not a better test side because they won more tests last year playing the West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa than Australia did playing India and Sri Lanka at home, because the opposition is not comparable. And, New Zealand have not shown themselves to be in Australia's league by beating different opposition or by winning one out of three ODIs against them. If New Zealand pound Australia in the coming ODI series you may have a basis for the argument, but to suggest now that Australia and New Zealand are equal (or even close) is ludicrous.

Zinzan

marc71178 said:
In the same way that NZ is clearly not a better ODI side than Australia.

There is a difference. Anyone who saw the recent 2 match series in Aust ( with their home advantage) will surely suggest they were pretty even teams going toe to toe. Either team could have won either game.

As opposed to Aust and Eng in tests. When was the last time Eng won the Ashes?? 87-88 to remind you.

I know you'll reply with the fact they haven't played for a couple of years. So i'll ask you the question. Do you really believe England will win the up and coming ashes?? Frankly I don't. I don't even think it will be close.

I do however believe NZ have a great chance of beating or at least going damn close to beating Aust in the up and coming ODI series.

I don't really think you can compare the Gulf. I'd concede that Australia are marginally stronger than NZ in One day cricket (but not by much). But are miles stronger than England in test cricket.

Zinzan

FaaipDeOiad said:
Four of which were years ago. In the last 12 months they have met three times and Australia won twice. And the winning percentages against different opposition is irrelevant because... well... the opposition is different. It's not a valid point of comparison.

England are not a better test side because they won more tests last year playing the West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa than Australia did playing India and Sri Lanka at home, because the opposition is not comparable. And, New Zealand have not shown themselves to be in Australia's league by beating different opposition or by winning one out of three ODIs against them. If New Zealand pound Australia in the coming ODI series you may have a basis for the argument, but to suggest now that Australia and New Zealand are equal (or even close) is ludicrous.
Assuming you saw the 1-1 odi series in between Aust and NZ recently, I'd suggest that stating the two sides are not even close is ludicrous. Both games could have been won by either side. It wasn't just one game it was both. As a NZer, I was gutted that Fatty Parker gave that Dodgy decision and even more gutted when NZ just needed a run a ball 17 off 17 (from memory)
and Vettori had a brain explosion ran himself out. It was a missed opportunity to win 2-0.

Why did Ponting state after the game that NZ were the 1 oneday side in the world at the moment that they fear the most and he also made the point that they have closed the gap and he didn't feel that there was much between the two sides? Thats not the sort of comment Ponting would make for the sake of it.

Deja moo

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Assuming you saw the 1-1 odi series in between Aust and NZ recently, I'd suggest that stating the two sides are not even close is ludicrous. Both games could have been won by either side. It wasn't just one game it was both. As a NZer, I was gutted that Fatty Parker gave that Dodgy decision and even more gutted when NZ just needed a run a ball 17 off 17 (from memory)
and Vettori had a brain explosion ran himself out. It was a missed opportunity to win 2-0.
Missed opportunities mean nothing.

India had the opportunity to be 3-1 up on the Aussies last VB series after the group stage if it wasnt for Bangar running out Ganguly in the first ODI, and Lee managing to get in that sixer in the last over of the 3rd game.

India could then claim to be the closest to Australias level, couldnt they ?

Scallywag

Banned
zinzan12 said:
Why did Ponting state after the game that NZ were the 1 oneday side in the world at the moment that they fear the most and he also made the point that they have closed the gap and he didn't feel that there was much between the two sides? Thats not the sort of comment Ponting would make for the sake of it.
Ponting also said this,

"England have obviously played some great cricket lately, won a lot of Test matches, and are a good side."
"It's going to be a huge series," Ponting said. "It's going to be the biggest that's been played for some time. All of our guys are talking about it in that way."

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
I wouldnt be that surprised if Aus took out both series comfortably. While I agree that NZ are much closer to Aus in ODIs than tests, I still dont have confidence that we could outplay them in 3 out of the 5 ODIs. Theres still a fragility about our middle order and if Fleming and Astle dont score it leaves everything to McCullum and Vettori to get a respectable total, and as they are not always going to score I can see us getting some low totals.
As for the tests...NZ to win 3-0. *oh look a flying pig*
Hopefully we can somehow win one test and squeeze out a draw (through rain or otherwis)
The ODIs could easily be 2-2 with one rained out

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Deja moo said:
Missed opportunities mean nothing.

India had the opportunity to be 3-1 up on the Aussies last VB series after the group stage if it wasnt for Bangar running out Ganguly in the first ODI, and Lee managing to get in that sixer in the last over of the 3rd game.

India could then claim to be the closest to Australias level, couldnt they ?
NO nz are the closest to Australia in odi cricket,i belive nz are on par with australia

india are a good test side but are no where as good as nz in odi

Deja moo

International Captain
cric_manic said:
NO nz are the closest to Australia in odi cricket,i belive nz are on par with australia

india are a good test side but are no where as good as nz in odi
And you have what, iffy situations to back that up ?