• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Fiery said:
He's given you a pretty good platform.
An now the rest of the team have thrown their wickets away trying to hit the ground running on that 'platform' he gave them. 1/140 is good if you're comfortably above 5 p/o. I'd have rathered it 4/170 if I actually wanted a defendable total, but Hayden doesn't have to worry about that, he doesn't have to bowl, or take catches or anything. As long as he can make a half century at the team's expense and cling parasitically to it for as long as he can, nothing in the world will worry him.

Fiery

Banned
Somerset said:
Another heated coversation between Vettori and Bowden...the left-armer has a right to be annoyed though.

Styris off, Cairns on...interesting bowling change.
Good call Flem. Katich waddles off make quacking noises.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Hahaha!! Hogg almost kills himself trying to get back into the crease after backing up, and all the while Astle has never even noticed.

Fiery

Banned
kwigibo said:
An now the rest of the team have thrown their wickets away trying to hit the ground running on that 'platform' he gave them. 1/140 is good if you're comfortably above 5 p/o. I'd have rathered it 4/170 if I actually wanted a defendable total, but Hayden doesn't have to worry about that, he doesn't have to bowl, or take catches or anything. As long as he can make a half century at the team's expense and cling parasitically to it for as long as he can, nothing in the world will worry him.
I don't think you can blame Hayden for the rest of your batters getting out. All the wickets have been to good balls. They haven't got themselves out. He did his job at the top of the order.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see Astle back at the bowling crease though. Another tight over and the Australians are a fraction over four runs per over with just ten overs remaining.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Fiery said:
I don't think you can blame Hayden for the rest of your batters getting out. All the wickets have been to good balls. They haven't got themselves out. He did his job at the top of the order.
Clarke wasn't out to a good ball... it was distinctly ordinary. But it was a super catch.

Simon Katich has really convinced me that he can't play ODIs. Why is he still there when we have someone like Mike Hussey? Huss can be our most versatile batsman, he always scores at an excellent clip and he's been doing it on the domestic scene for years.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Mr Casson said:
Clarke wasn't out to a good ball... it was distinctly ordinary. But it was a super catch.

Simon Katich has really convinced me that he can't play ODIs. Why is he still there when we have someone like Mike Hussey? Huss can be our most versatile batsman, he always scores at an excellent clip and he's been doing it on the domestic scene for years.
You can keep Katich in for the series in NZ. We don't mind :happy: .

Fiery

Banned
Mr Casson said:

I thought you wanted Australia to lose

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Fiery said:
I thought you wanted Australia to lose
Given the way they've played this match, they certainly deserve to and I won't be disappointed.

What I really really want is competitive cricket where you can't separate the two sides. We might just get that out of this game, and even the whole series.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
After his performance in the Twenty20 match, I'm not surprised Simon Katich was selected today, although I'd expect Hussey to come into the Australian side during the series.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset said:
After his performance in the Twenty20 match, I'm not surprised Simon Katich was selected today, although I'd expect Hussey to come into the Australian side during the series.
Hussey outdid Katich in the Twenty20 match.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Casson said:
Given the way they've played this match, they certainly deserve to and I won't be disappointed.

What I really really want is competitive cricket where you can't separate the two sides. We might just get that out of this game, and even the whole series.
Symonds and Hogg are decent batsmen and as Lehmann and Hogg showed at Melbourne, Australia can make the Kiwis pay in the final few overs, even after losing wickets. There's still some competitive cricket in this match, for sure.

Fiery

Banned
As you Aussie's would say "I'll give you the tip":
Styris becomes the 2nd man in ODI history after Viv to get a 5 for and score a ton.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Casson said:
Hussey outdid Katich in the Twenty20 match.
But Katich was involved in an important partnership with Ponting when Australia were on the ropes early on. Hussey batted very well towards the death though, I can't dispute that.

Scallywag

Banned
Mr Casson said:
Why is he still there when we have someone like Mike Hussey? Huss can be our most versatile batsman, he always scores at an excellent clip and he's been doing it on the domestic scene for years.
I thought the same thing, WE and you want Australia to lose.

Hedging your bets eh.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fiery said:
As you Aussie's would say "I'll give you the tip":
Styris becomes the 2nd man in ODI history after Viv to get a 5 for and score a ton.
Eh? What does that statistic have to do with this particular match?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset said:
But Katich was involved in an important partnership with Ponting when Australia were on the ropes early on. Hussey batted very well towards the death though, I can't dispute that.
Well given that we're after a number seven batsman, what we want is a finisher like Hussey. If Katich is going to be picked to bat in important top/middle order partnerships, he has to bat there.

Fiery

Banned
Mr Casson said:

Australia needs more supporters like you. :)