• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The bowling speeds have been varying from end to end at the Basin because if you're unlucky and you have to bowl into the wind, it can seriously affect the pace you are bowling at.

O'Brien definately bowls around 138-142 km's...which is good pace, I'd perhaps like to see him have a run against Sri Lanka.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If NZ somehow draw this test, who reckons NZ might recall Shane Bond for the 3rd test?..Im against it, i'd rather let him rest for a possible return against Sri Lanka.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
1 day to go, 10 wickets in hand, 326 still required to make Australia bat again..can we hold out? I don't think so....
Out of interest, how long is the 5th day scheduled to be?

6, 6 and a half or 7 hours?

Ming

State 12th Man
Supposed to be 98 overs.

But I think play will be called off at around 5pm if it's cloudy. They only "just" managed to get to around 6pm two days ago when it was sunny.

Ming

State 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
Did he? The average speed I've been seeing from him is 120-122, which is Manjarul Islam sort of pace. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention to the speed reading when he has been at his quickest.

Martin and Franklin are also a bit quicker than they are given credit for. Martin gets his average up to 138-140 at the peak of his spell, and Franklin is only a few kph slower.
Franklin only got upto 140 because he was bowling down wind. He's usually only around 128-133.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
98 overs are scheduled & no more because FICA won't allow it.

It's hard to see NZ lasting on a day 5 pitch with Warne bowling the best i've seen him bowl in quite a while.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've been talking with a few people & there is a strong possibility that if NZ draw tommorow, NZ could well select Shane Bond for the 3rd test.

Bond was meant to only play 2 State Championship matches this season, however he's come through so well that he's ended up playing 4 in a row.

That also opens up an interesting debate as to whether Australia go head to head with Brett Lee or not.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
I've been talking with a few people & there is a strong possibility that if NZ draw tommorow, NZ could well select Shane Bond for the 3rd test.

Bond was meant to only play 2 State Championship matches this season, however he's come through so well that he's ended up playing 4 in a row.

That also opens up an interesting debate as to whether Australia go head to head with Brett Lee or not.
Surely bringing Bond back now would be a terrible idea. He's not even getting results in New Zealand domestic cricket yet. I have no doubt that an out of form Shane Bond would be better than O'Brien, but he's still liable to get belted around in a rather confidence shattering manner. They should work him back into form in the domestic circuit and bring him back against Sri Lanka or even later.

As far as Lee goes, I'd love to see him picked, but I don't think he will be now. He's going to have to wait until Kasprowicz has a few bad games in a row or somebody gets injured.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, while the idea of Bond returning excites me, I think for the best interests of Bond & the NZ team he should perhaps wait for Sri Lanka if he feels comfortable with his back & his bowling form.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is interesting. But I'd hate to see Bond play while still not totally fit and put in too much effort and injure himself again.

Dydl

International Debutant
James said:
From seeing the weather forcast tonight I think we've got a draw!

It still wins Australia the series though. Too much rain. First day was completely washed out andd there have been rain delays almost every day.

New Zealand's last hope of only losing the OD Series is almost completely gone.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dydl said:
It still wins Australia the series though. Too much rain. First day was completely washed out andd there have been rain delays almost every day.

New Zealand's last hope of only losing the OD Series is almost completely gone.
There's still a third test, so New Zealand could make it 1-1.

Ming

State 12th Man
Tim said:
98 overs are scheduled & no more because FICA won't allow it.

It's hard to see NZ lasting on a day 5 pitch with Warne bowling the best i've seen him bowl in quite a while.

Not really a Day 5 pitch. More like a Day 3.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bond is just as likely to get injured in a State game, so why not bring him back. If he has managed to get though 4 games, that says match fitness for me.

Australia didn't play Lee when Ahktar was playing for Pakistan, so they're not going to bring him back if Bond plays. What is most disapointing if it rains tomorrow is that Kaspa won't get a chance to bring up his 100th wicket, boy...does he deserve it.