• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Grubb

Cricket Spectator
anzac said:
I understand what you're getting at & I think there was some speculation about this when Bracewell was appointed..............
Oops, sorry. If this has been gone over before then it's my mistake. Was just wanting to know whether people who live a bit closer to the action tend to share this view about the Bracewell/Fleming situation or not.

anzac

International Debutant
Grubb said:
Oops, sorry. If this has been gone over before then it's my mistake. Was just wanting to know whether people who live a bit closer to the action tend to share this view about the Bracewell/Fleming situation or not.
no no no ....................nothing to apologise for at all - I was making a reference that some of us had speculated on their potential relationship - as well as some cricketing scribes & commentators.............

as for me personally I'm a bit far from the action same as you to get a feel from local media etc..........interesting point tho'.......and it may well be valid the way Flem has fallen away these past 2 seasons..............

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Disappointing to see Lee miss out again. Hopefully he can play in the Pura Cup final and make a statement there.
Unless someone gets injured in the minutes leading up to the match, he should be on the next plane out as it is a waste of everyone's time having him carry the drinks.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Unless someone gets injured in the minutes leading up to the match, he should be on the next plane out as it is a waste of everyone's time having him carry the drinks.
Ponting wants him to remain until the first ball is bowled, which will probably disqualify him from the Pura Cup game, since Haddin has said he won't be picked if he can't be there from ball one.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And fair enough, if Lee hasn't arrived in time for the start and NSW lose the toss, they'll be bowling with a bowler short.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The only chance of him playing is if NZ v Australia gets underway and the Pura Cup Final gets delayed a day by rain.

shaka

International Regular
Lee is not playing in either the 2nd test or the finals of pura cup, huge shock, I thought he would be welcomed into the final, but Australia insist he will be covering until the final minute, although I cannot see any Australian getting injured in the next 12 odd hours.

howardj

International Coach
I cant believe that he'd be so self-centred to think NSW would be willing to go a player short for an entire day, just so they could be graced with his prescence for the remainder of the game.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I cant believe that he'd be so self-centred to think NSW would be willing to go a player short for an entire day, just so they could be graced with his prescence for the remainder of the game.

its not so much that its that he wasn't released earlier by the national team so he could get back in time to play the game. how can they expect him to maintain a good level of performance if they dont let him play.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
shaka said:
Lee is not playing in either the 2nd test or the finals of pura cup, huge shock, I thought he would be welcomed into the final, but Australia insist he will be covering until the final minute, although I cannot see any Australian getting injured in the next 12 odd hours.
Maybe someone will practise batting without a pad in their glove? :p

howardj

International Coach
Yeah but the whole thing was a crazy idea to begin with. Flying someone in from overseas to take the place of blokes - Bracken, Clarke and Nicholson - who've done the job all year and deserve to play in the final.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
howardj said:

Come one - this is Brett Lee - the fast bowling messiah - we are speaking of.

Mister Wright

It would put a huge smile on Jimmy Maher's face if he won the toss and knew he'd only have two quicks and a spinner to face all day and possibly Thornely at 1st change. There would not be all this fuss for any other bowler in Australia, it is a flat out joke.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
There would not be all this fuss for any other bowler in Australia, it is a flat out joke.
If Kasprowicz was 12th man Queensland would consider the exact same thing, and in fact their team management has said as much in the last couple of days, so exactly the same amount of fuss would be made about him. Lee won't be put in the side if he can't show up for the start, however.

Anyway, as far as the test selection is concerned, obviously the selectors want to stick by Kasprowicz for as long as they can, but personally I think it would be a real shame if Lee didn't get an opportunity some time during this series. Certainly if Australia struggle to penetrate again in this test like they did on the first day of the series Lee would be a viable option in the third test.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
If Kasprowicz was 12th man Queensland would consider the exact same thing, and in fact their team management has said as much in the last couple of days, so exactly the same amount of fuss would be made about him. Lee won't be put in the side if he can't show up for the start, however.

Anyway, as far as the test selection is concerned, obviously the selectors want to stick by Kasprowicz for as long as they can, but personally I think it would be a real shame if Lee didn't get an opportunity some time during this series. Certainly if Australia struggle to penetrate again in this test like they did on the first day of the series Lee would be a viable option in the third test.
Kasprowicz has already said he would not be available for the Pura Cup final if not selected for Australia because he has consistently played first class cricket. I'm talking more about the 'media fuss'. They would not have the same tenacity if it was anyone other than Lee, the never were for Bichel, so I can't see it being the same if it was any other bowler.

social

NSW wouldnt be a player short for a day - he would simply replace another player for day 2 onwards.

It has happened before and will happen again.

It would not be fair on the other players concerned if this were to happen, but hey, this is a professional game.

Last edited:

social

howardj said:
a. NSW would not be a player short; and

b. Aus cant complain if his lack of match practice reflects in future performances as it undoubtedly will.

Mister Wright

social said:
NSW wouldnt be a player short for a day - he would simply replace another player for day 2 onwards.

It has happened before and will happen again.

It would not be fair on the other players concerned if this were to happen, but hey, this is a professional game.
N.S.W. have to name Lee in their starting XI if they want him to play meaning the 12th man cannot bowl, nor can they bat. Apparently Lee has organised a charted flight to get him to the game by lunch, but even if he got there by lunch, he would have to wait the amount of time that he spent of the field on it, before he could bowl, meaning best case scenario he could bowl after tea on the first day, or bat if needed. N.S.W. will not be calling him up anyway, so it is game over for Lee. Unless he can make the Australian XI he will not be playing this weekend.