• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Just on Franklin - it makes me wonder whether perhaps a lot of the BCs just aren't physically and mentally fit enough to maintain their performance levels throughout a test, hence the limp 4th and 5th day efforts.

I remember Fleming once saying "there needs to be at least a 3 or 4 day gap between ODIs, if the public want to see athletes at their best". I felt like ringing up and asking him what he felt about NBA and baseball players, who fly across America and play virtually every night.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Anyone worried about Michael Clarke's performance? I read somewhere that he's scored less than 100 runs in his last six Test innings. I think it's becoming pretty apparent that he is deficient against pace bowling. He seems extremely vulnerable on off stump.

not really, hes hitting the ball ok, when you play as attackingly as that you will go through patches where you dont score so many

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kippax said:
Just on Franklin - it makes me wonder whether perhaps a lot of the BCs just aren't physically and mentally fit enough to maintain their performance levels throughout a test, hence the limp 4th and 5th day efforts.

I remember Fleming once saying "there needs to be at least a 3 or 4 day gap between ODIs, if the public want to see athletes at their best". I felt like ringing up and asking him what he felt about NBA and baseball players, who fly across America and play virtually every night.
Starting pitchers in baseball have a minimum rest of 3 days between games (unless they for whatever reason don't pitch for long). The NBA players are squad players (as basketball is a squad game, people hop on and off the bench regularly) and don't usually play a full game, also they don't do anything as physically strenuous as bowling, you could compare batsmen in cricket with NBA or non-pitching baseball players and of course batsmen do effectively play as much as basketball or baseball players at times.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Starting pitchers in baseball have a minimum rest of 3 days between games (unless they for whatever reason don't pitch for long). The NBA players are squad players (as basketball is a squad game, people hop on and off the bench regularly) and don't usually play a full game, also they don't do anything as physically strenuous as bowling, you could compare batsmen in cricket with NBA or non-pitching baseball players and of course batsmen do effectively play as much as basketball or baseball players at times.
I find it really difficult to draw any comparisons between basketball and cricket. Having played a lot of basketball I'm 'basketball fit'; however, I struggle batting for any long period of time. OK, it's not at international level but the fitness required to play properly is above average - and the muscles used are the same. NBA players play a lot more games a year compared to crickers - their game goes for about 2.5 hours with time outs, 1/2 time, etc. Basketball is a lot more full on than cricket over such a shorter period. I'm pretty sure guys like LeBron James and Allen Iverson play 40+ minutes per game. It's such a different fitness requirement playing in short bursts every few days compared to playing all day with less intensity.

As for the game: It was bitterly disappointing to compete for 3 days and then clapse. I cannot believe how absolutely inept McMillan is. The Aussies have it all over him; I felt bad for him when Gilchrist was laughing at him. I see he has even changed his stance at the crease again - not just to Warne - but he is shuffling across before the ball is delivered again. From what I saw in the ODIs he stopped that. McMillan has not improved his game one bit since playing international cricket. I can see improvement with Styris, Fleming, Oram, McCullum, etc, but McMillan still remains stagnant. I heard on the radio this morning he has averaged 15 from the last 16 Test matches (or that might have been 16 from the last 15 Tests). Simply not good enough. Personally, I don't care who replaces him as long as someone does for the 3rd Test. I see no reason why he will score any runs come the 2nd match assuming he plays.

I didn't get to see much of the first Test but was Vincent's 2nd innings LBW a good decision? I only saw it once but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
Is ten overs of OD bowling really more physically strenuous than what a quality basketball player does each night? Makes you wonder why they have to stop the game to mop up sweat off the court, or why Jordan was always icing his limbs as they flew to the next venue.

It's not just physical but more a mental angle I'm getting at. I hear a lot of NZ players complain about "the grind" of playing and training (perhaps why so many of them retire when they're around 30), whereas guys like Gilchrist and McGrath seem like they can't get enough.

Perhaps the difference in pay packets has something to do with that discrepancy in enthusiasm.

telsor

U19 12th Man
I think the other difference between basketball and cricket is the mental one.

Cricket is a fairly cerebral game, you have to be 'switched on' for long periods of time. The ability to consisitantly apply pressure over an entire test is one of the things that makes Aus stand out and largely comes back to this mental toughness.

Macka. I only saw 1 replay of each of the dismissals, but not seemed dubious enough to me that I really wanted to see a replay to be 'sure'. ( and I started looking a little concerned about 7 lbws in an innings ).

anzac

International Debutant
same 12 retained for the 2nd Test......................what's the pitch like at The Basin - are we likely to see Wiseman start & will they retain the 6-4 split?????

Macca can't be given another chance IMO, as much as I want a 6-4 split (which means he starts the game) I'd put him up to Open with Cumming & tell him to go hard 'at' the bowling & do a Sehwag - I wouldn't care if he only lasted a few overs so long as he put bat to ball.............I doubt he'd be able to play his premeditated shots against the new ball attack & he fight stick around long enough to give Flem some time................most everyone else who've been in & out of the side have had to play out of position "for the benefit of the team" & now it's Macca's turn to put up................even if he only manages to maintain his recent average of around 16 then we have not lost anything in the process.............

god forbid that they look to promote either Vincent of Marshall to replace Flem at the top!!!!!!

if they did retain 6-4 & brought in Wiseman then I guess O'Brien will make way as the junior bowler...........

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
telsor said:
Macka. I only saw 1 replay of each of the dismissals, but not seemed dubious enough to me that I really wanted to see a replay to be 'sure'. ( and I started looking a little concerned about 7 lbws in an innings ).
Thanks, I only saw it as I came in the door and turned on the TV - I never got a decent look at it.

I really hope they don't decide to open with Marshall or Vincent in the 2nd Test. Vincent has scored all his runs at 4 for Auckland. Marshall is new to the team and should be told where he will bat for the entire series so he is able to prepare. Fleming has said he wants to open and lead from the front. He needs to start doing it.

Has anyone noticed any changes in Astle's technique? About a month ago I read something on the NZherald Web site that said he was working on changing 'a few things.' From the little I saw his back foot is still rooted to the ground.

anzac

International Debutant
Macka said:
Fleming has said he wants to open and lead from the front. He needs to start doing it.
yeah but if they're going to start Macca then IMO it's time he got out of his comfort zone & has to make the 'sacrifice' - hell both he & Astle have had somewhat 'charmed' lives in the middle order - just about everyone else has been moved all over the show..............and 'seniority' counts for sh*t in my book if you're not performing...........at least Astle opens in ODIs but Macca has done jack.................apart from in the WC........

Ming

State 12th Man
Kippax said:
Yes - I didn't get to see a great deal of the test unfortunately, but I noticed that as well. It's surprising to see someone you'd always had pegged as a 130kph paceman bowling inswing (L-to-R) now up to 138kph bowling outswing (R-to-L).

I'd say his new method may be more threatening in the long-term, but his old trait of losing steam in his later spells was once again really disappointing.
Franklin bowled outswing to the leftie with the new ball. Were you watching the same game as me? Because he only inswung it with the ball got older.

Ming

State 12th Man
It would be stupid to open the Test innings with McMillan. He's never done it much at first class level, and it would be foolish to think he can suddenly find his form opening.

anzac

International Debutant
Ming said:
It would be stupid to open the Test innings with McMillan. He's never done it much at first class level, and it would be foolish to think he can suddenly find his form opening.
I wasn't even considering him finding form - just that IMO that's about all he's good for atm as he's doing bugger all anyway - not scoring runs, not rotating the strike, not building partnerships etc..........he's a waste of a batting position in the side let alone the middle order.........at least if he was to open he may last long enough to take some of the sting out of the new ball..............his rep is as an attacking batsman so lets see him go at it with a free reign........

Isolator

State 12th Man
Ming said:
He did with the new ball.

Franklin got some nice reverse into the lefties.
I'm talking about swing away from the lefties, which was very prominent in his matches against England, and in Bangladesh. It's the most useful thing about his bowling, in my opinion, and also, as far as I can see, it's what his action is geared towards. You watch him bowl an outswinger and an inswinger and tell me which one looks more natural.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Ming said:
Franklin bowled outswing to the leftie with the new ball. Were you watching the same game as me? Because he only inswung it with the ball got older.
Well, if he was doing it in the first sessions I wouldn't know, since it's too early for me... I had to wake up at 5:30 just to watch the last two sessions...

Ming

State 12th Man
Isolator said:
I'm talking about swing away from the lefties, which was very prominent in his matches against England, and in Bangladesh. It's the most useful thing about his bowling, in my opinion, and also, as far as I can see, it's what his action is geared towards. You watch him bowl an outswinger and an inswinger and tell me which one looks more natural.
The outswinger. Because that is his natural delivery with the new ball, and he has done that ever since his debut.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ming said:
3.5 Franklin to Hayden, no run, full ball, swings in, hits on the pad,
shout for lbw, declines

3.6 Franklin to Hayden, no run, just outside off and swings in, left
alone, ball just misses the off stump on the way through to keeper

5.2 Franklin to Langer, no run, again good ball, pitches juts outside
off and swings in, left alone

5.4 Franklin to Langer, no run, full in length and swings in, leasn
well forward and defends it

9.4 Franklin to Hayden, no run, inswinging yorker and Hayden is forced
to jam the bat down on it

9.6 Franklin to Hayden, no run, swings in and strikes pad. A loud
appeal butShep shakes his head. Looks to have been going down leg
side

....and so on.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Same squad!!!

I don't believe NZ could keep the same squad after the nine wicket loss. What does McMillan have over the selectors? How many more runs does Fulton need to score to be selected ahead of McMillan? Bloody frustrating!

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Will Scarlet said:
I don't believe NZ could keep the same squad after the nine wicket loss. What does McMillan have over the selectors? How many more runs does Fulton need to score to be selected ahead of McMillan? Bloody frustrating!

Macca should be gone from test cricket and only play ODI... Fulton = God.

Ming

State 12th Man
Kippax said:
3.5 Franklin to Hayden, no run, full ball, swings in, hits on the pad,
shout for lbw, declines

3.6 Franklin to Hayden, no run, just outside off and swings in, left
alone, ball just misses the off stump on the way through to keeper

5.2 Franklin to Langer, no run, again good ball, pitches juts outside
off and swings in, left alone

5.4 Franklin to Langer, no run, full in length and swings in, leasn
well forward and defends it

9.4 Franklin to Hayden, no run, inswinging yorker and Hayden is forced
to jam the bat down on it

9.6 Franklin to Hayden, no run, swings in and strikes pad. A loud
appeal butShep shakes his head. Looks to have been going down leg
side

....and so on.

Those were only a few deliveries out of the overs that Franklin bowled. Watch the highlights, the majority of them were swinging AWAY from the LEFT-HANDER.

Ming

State 12th Man
Will Scarlet said:
You have to keep McMillan for this Test, sure if he doesn't perform, replace him with another batsman. His form was good in the ODIs, and got some good starts.