• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
After watching him in the ODI series and now in this test, Hamish Marshall is definately a quality player. Easily has the potential to be the best batsman in the New Zealand side, in my view.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After having the luck of catching the lunch break when I went in to the bar at uni today to see how the game was going, I just got a very nice surprise when I got home! Very pleased with the effort so far. Cumming 74, shows that tests are definitely more suited to him than ODIs. Can we keep it up? Unlikely to be fair but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand have been really good up until tea. Cumming was very careful and early on in his innings left absolutely everything he could, which is vital when facing McGrath and co, and Marshall has been quite brilliant so far. Flawless technique and some elegant cuts and drives, and some nice hitting down the ground and use of the feet against Warne as well.

For Australia McGrath has bowled well but without luck, and Kasprowicz and Warne have been solid. Warne's done a very good job considering that the pitch really isn't taking turn. Gillespie has been pretty disappointing so far.

Fiery

Banned
Cumming did a really good job on debut. I didn't rate him but he seems to have a bit of bottle and looks like he could do a similar job to Richardson for a few years if he keeps that up. Leaving out Lee was a mistake but easy to say that in hindsight. Marshall looking very accomplished and not afraid to take Warnie on. Even had Warne trying to buy a wicket there for a while which was good to see. The first 2 sessions have been beyond expectations for NZ but that could easily change so should be an intriguing final session. I wont be going anywhere.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Can Clarke do anything wrong? Scoring runs, hitting the stumps almost every time he tries to throw the ball at them, and now taking wickets when Australia is in trouble.

Fiery

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Can Clarke do anything wrong? Scoring runs, hitting the stumps almost every time he tries to throw the ball at them, and now taking wickets when Australia is in trouble.
Bleach his hair

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
After watching him in the ODI series and now in this test, Hamish Marshall is definately a quality player. Easily has the potential to be the best batsman in the New Zealand side, in my view.
Agree completely. His domestic record may be substandard but he's a compact player who compliments the New Zealand middle order in both forms of the game very well. 84* at the moment, here's hoping he'll record his maiden test century.

_Ed_

And with his 40* against SA on debut and a 50 against Bangladesh he's heading for a pretty big average after this innings.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gillespie is not bowling well at all here. I don't know if it's fatigue after six months of international cricket or something, but he looks very out of sorts.

Four overs to go in the day now, plus whatever they manage in terms of extra overs since they should get the 90 about 15-20 minutes before stumps time. I'd give Kasper a go.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Gillespie is not bowling well at all here. I don't know if it's fatigue after six months of international cricket or something, but he looks very out of sorts.

Four overs to go in the day now, plus whatever they manage in terms of extra overs since they should get the 90 about 15-20 minutes before stumps time. I'd give Kasper a go.
He was fairly inconsistent in that recent over with the new ball, a wide plus two fours with one wide outside offstump and one drifting into Marshall's pads...

Slow Love™

International Captain
southern man said:
I always had faith in Cumming.
Yeah, as long as you stay off the grog, it's usually not too much of a problem.

I can't see (or hear) the match so far - how do people rate the pitch? Are the Kiwis just batting great, or have the bowlers been ordinary?

When you've sent the opposition in, you'd certainly hope for better results...

Top_Cat

Yes if Lee has shown anything over the years its that he really bowls so very well on flatter pitches. :wacko:

Anyone get the feeling that with Hamish Marshall and Michael Clarke, we've got a Martin Crowe/Dean Jones-rivalry in the making?

Blaze

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
I didn't see Clarkes wicket but apparently it was dubious.

What happened?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fantastic innings from Hamish Marshall, great to see the guy celebrating his debut test ton.

New Zealand finish the day on 265/3 with Marshall unbeaten on 103.

Inteteresting to see that the three main quick bowlers in McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz could grab just one wicket though...

Ming

State 12th Man
Hamish Marshall - you are outstanding.

Just makes you wonder if he was recalled to the NZ team in the Test arena a bit earlier....

Bowling hasn't been great, but our batsmen have shown great application, especially Cumming and Hamish. Aleem Dar has had a mixed match, turned down a few plumb LBWs and gave Vincent out when the ball was heading down leg.