• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I tipped 4-1 Australia, but apparently even that was too generous.

Anyone not think the test series will be a whitewash? Maybe it will rain or something...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
On what basis can you deny it?
u could argue that SL have not done anything to overtake NZ ... but NZ on the other hand don't deserve the no. 2 ranking

it will be interesting to se NZ v SL ... it'll show the gap between Aus and the rest

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Champions Throphy: well we only got knocked out of the tornment cus of D/L, who to say we wouldn't of beat England if it wasn't for the rain. Considering Sangakkara was at the crease when the game was called off, im pretty confident we still would of won that game. Also the Kiwis got knocked out at the same stage.
NZ went out to Australia 8-)

SL were nowhere near that game.

95-5 chasing 252 with 26 overs left.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sir Redman said:
I think the decisions generally even out with every team except Australia. They still seem to get a huge number in their favour.
Amazing how many people say something like this after they lose.

Woolmer did the same, but had no proof.

anzac

International Debutant
Natman20 said:
I think the New Zealand management is trying to become like Australia. They are using all these players now not just to see if they can compete internationally but to have a strong back up to the normal team just like Australia do
you are giving them entirely too much credit for having some forthought etc.............basically they haven't shown any inclination of such thinking up 'till now
& I don't think they have made any sort of start in that direction.............. :D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amazing how people take out so much meaning from rankings when it suits them, when Harmison was ranked no.1 bowler in the World most of the people on here pretty much ignored it, when NZ were ranked 2nd it was taken as gospel.

anzac

International Debutant
Darrin said:
I get a bit tired of people quoting speeds like some sort of mantra. They are not. Good bowling is very much about tight bowling. The control of line and length. That was the one thing that lacked in our bowling display in the 4th ODI, we were all over the place. This is not to say that i want a team of Gavin Larsen's out there, i don't. But the best bowler over the last 10 years happens to be a medium-fast seam bowler called Glenn Mcgrath. Who just methodically puts the ball in good areas which provides problems for the batsmen.

I wasn't just referring to the speeds of the respective attacks - I was trying to use that as an analogy of their type of seam attacks - AUS = aggressive wicket takers with some pace & venom v NZL = more defensive, no real pace, no real wicket takers, no real form........

who starts on the front foot and is looking to take the match...............

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
I tipped 4-1 Australia, but apparently even that was too generous.

Anyone not think the test series will be a whitewash? Maybe it will rain or something...
Then it'd just be a wash. Hah!

No? :( Okay...

*crawls back into hole*

anzac

International Debutant
Darrin said:
I expect them to go in with a 6-4 split. Its just too risky with no-oram & styris. I think they will err on the side of the batting. Also Mcmillan is a senior player, he'll be expected to perform. Otherwise, you have Mccullum at 6, vettori 7, and a very long looking tail which places even more pressure on fleming,astle, etc.
hell I'd love to see them with a 6-4 split ALL the time..................but they always seem to err on the side of bowling................

Unless it's a really dry pitch I can't see them going in with 2 seamers (1 of whom is a debutant) and 2 spinners.............who's going to take 20 wickets?????

anzac

International Debutant
some good points made by SJS & Arjun....................

basically it would now appear that the results from 2002 have flattered to decieve - although the continuing injuries have not helped.............how many 1st choice players missing thru injury / retired????

again to get on my hobby horse - I blame the domestic pitches - regarding both the batting & bowling...............

just a point for the locals - how often do they play on pitches of the quality provided for intnl series????? Jade & Napier have the reps of the best playing surfaces in the country, and The Basin seems to be on the improve - but how many times this season have we seen results in the Championship within 2-3 days????

Today we had an ODI that gave up over 500 runs, while at the same time the current Championship games have seen 2 into the 3rd innings by stumps on Day2 - 20+ wickets having fallen!!!!!!

anzac

International Debutant
again I have to question the thinking behind the decision to put AUS in on a good track.............esp whith our depleted bowling attack!!!!!