• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
One of the big reasons Australia is so strong IMO is that you can get them 5 down and Gilchrist comes in.

If he's at 6 with 5 bowlers after him that is nowhere near the depth.
Would you really expect New Zealand to get Australia 5 down for a small total to begin with, and if so do you think they would run through the tail? Frankly, 6 batsmen or 7 I find it hard to see New Zealand doing anything at all with the ball this series, even if they get a few early wickets because there's some movement around the middle order and tail will comfortably get Australia to a 300+ score, which should be enough. The Ashes might well be a different story, but I don't think Australia will suffer too much for having five bowlers in this series, like in the West Indies.

Mind you, I think the most likely scenario is that Kasprowicz will be dropped, but I wouldn't rule out 5 bowlers either.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Lee and Warne aren't exactly terrible with the bat either, particularly against New Zealand. Warne has 505 runs at 33.67 with four 50s against them.

haha McGrath would like his chances asa well against that bowling attack

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
marc71178 said:
One of the big reasons Australia is so strong IMO is that you can get them 5 down and Gilchrist comes in.

If he's at 6 with 5 bowlers after him that is nowhere near the depth.
Every time I've seen Gilchrist bat at 6 he seems to make a big score and inspire his partner.

He thrives on responsibility.

And can an extra bowler bat any worse than Lehmann, on current form?

Natman20

International Debutant
I think the New Zealand management is trying to become like Australia. They are using all these players now not just to see if they can compete internationally but to have a strong back up to the normal team just like Australia do

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Natman20 said:
I think the New Zealand management is trying to become like Australia. They are using all these players now not just to see if they can compete internationally but to have a strong back up to the normal team just like Australia do
They chose the wrong fixtures to build up their potential World Cup backup players. 100 up for Oz in the 15th over.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Katich opening? I guess he deserves his spot, but I still think Hussey should be the first in line for the opening places after Langer and Hayden, he's been the best opener in domestic cricket along with Elliot for several years, and Elliot had several opportunities.
It appears now Hussey will stay on as cover if Hayden doesn't recover in time.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
canning is soo overrated. . well actually all of new zealand's bowlers except daniel vettori are bowling short and wide balls which the australians just whack away for 4.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
its a mental thing

vs aussie they just cant get the balls in the right places..

Vettori is the only one with mental toughness

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Australia 5/347 off 50 overs. Ponting 141no with 2 big sixes off the last 2 balls. Awesome display by the Aussies. And this is over the No.2 side in the world.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Great batting by Ponting and Gilchrist, absolutely brutal. And how about Michael Clarke? He keeps improving every series.

For New Zealand... well Vettori bowled well. Not much to talk about aside from that.

Ming

State 12th Man
MoxPearl said:
its a mental thing

vs aussie they just cant get the balls in the right places..

Vettori is the only one with mental toughness
No, it's more like our bowlers just don't have the skill needed to play against Australia.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Ming said:
No, it's more like our bowlers just don't have the skill needed to play against Australia.
And NZ is the second best OD side in the world. I think this series shows how far ahead the Aussies are from the rest of the world.