• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Australia doesn't pick five bowlers very often, but with the New Zealand pitches likely to seam a bit and not offer a great deal for the spinners it's something they will definately consider. .
Recently the Basin and Christchurch have been about as flat and true as NZ pitches get, and after the repercussions from the World XI's visit to Hamilton (no more internationals there for up to 3 years), I'd say it's extremely unlikely any venues' groundstaff would risk contriving something.

I said a while back that under Bracewell's reign NZ might feature the rarity of two spinners playing in home tests, and he's now pretty much confirmed it for me on the radio this evening -
http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/41715.wma
http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/41730.wma

%%%%%%

Bracewell also mentions that Marshall and Vincent will be at 3 and 4, but hasn't decided who will come in first. I read Vincent say in a Sunday paper that he was really enjoying batting at #4 for Auckland, and given the selectors are keen to see what he's like as a test batsman when the ball has already lost its shine, I'd say Marshall will be at # 3.

Some would argue Marshall (three 50's in his last 6 innings against the Aussies) deserves protection more than Vincent does, but he's probably got a more suitable temperament and technique to handle the # 3 position, so I'd have no real gripe with it.

I expect the actual playing XI might look like this:

Fleming
Cumming
Marshall
Vincent
Astle
McMillan
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Wiseman
Martin

Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
I wonder if Vincent has any shot of bowling in the tests, considering his "success" in the domestic competition. Maybe if the game is well and truly gone.

Fiery

Banned
shaka said:
I wonder if Vincent has any shot of bowling in the tests, considering his "success" in the domestic competition. Maybe if the game is well and truly gone.
McCullum might have to have a go the way we've bowled in the one-dayers. I'm pleasantly surprised that the selectors have taken a bit of a punt by selecting O'Brien. I've been criticising them for being too conservative.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
the reason we lost the seires was due to the psycoligy involved

our players give australia FAR to much respect on the field and feel intimidated by them.

its evident in the bowlers... our bowlers were USLESS.. whatever team you play.. u should be able to pitch the balls in good places....

And to think we will get steam rolled by sri lanka ? ... lol... yeh right!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
MoxPearl said:
the reason we lost the seires was due to the psycoligy involved
I would be much more inclined to say that the reason NZ lost the series had a fair bit to do with the fact that our players were just better than theirs.

anzac

International Debutant
Kippax said:
I expect the actual playing XI might look like this:

Fleming
Cumming
Marshall
Vincent
Astle
McMillan
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Wiseman
Martin
I can't see them going with a 6-4 split because of the bowling temors..............and certainly not with just Astle & Macca as back ups................

if they do go with a 5-5 split then I hope Macca is 12th man as I'm a bit miffed at how easily he has made his way back into both the ODI & Test sides ahead of Sinclair.........(I remeber saying that Sinclair would become the sacrificial bunny so that Macca could be brought back into the teams when we were in AUS)................sure Macca has performed well enough at domestic level, but I'm ****ed that Sinclair has had to play out of position & is now paying for it................

I also think that O'Brien is likely to get a start otherwise what's the point in making such a call from the blue if he's only going to carry the drinks????????

anzac

International Debutant
I also think that O'Brien is a bit of a 'horses for cources' selection...........

*local lad so is used to bowling into the 'gale' at The Basin - something the NZL bowlers did not do too well last time out v RSA..................
and something perhaps Mills may have struggled with................
leaving Martin & Franklin to have use of 'the gale'.................
and if he is a workhorse then he can also provide 'cover' if Franklin gets the yips & is carted by Langer again...........

anzac

International Debutant
just a small observation re where the respective seam attacks are coming from..........

AUS has 4 aggresive seamers all of whom are in form and taking wickets vying for 3 positions in a 4 man attack, and all of whom are bowling at 135 kph+.......

NZL is looking to possibly line up 3 moderate seamers whose form is questionable in a 5 man attack, and possibly only 1 of the seamers will reach 135 kph with any regularity.........

AUS = front foot / attacking
NZL = back foot / defensive

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
anzac said:
I can't see them going with a 6-4 split because of the bowling temors..............and certainly not with just Astle & Macca as back ups................

if they do go with a 5-5 split then I hope Macca is 12th man as I'm a bit miffed at how easily he has made his way back into both the ODI & Test sides ahead of Sinclair.........(I remeber saying that Sinclair would become the sacrificial bunny so that Macca could be brought back into the teams when we were in AUS)................sure Macca has performed well enough at domestic level, but I'm ****ed that Sinclair has had to play out of position & is now paying for it................

I also think that O'Brien is likely to get a start otherwise what's the point in making such a call from the blue if he's only going to carry the drinks????????
"Nathan and Craig will do the 5-6 slot." - Bracewell in that interview I posted.

Basically it's O'Brien v. Franklin I'd say. Wellingtonians wouldn't even think about who's higher in the local pecking order, but Franklin has no reputation as a workhorse.

As we've discussed on CW before, he's very much a 'float it up there and see what happens' bowler, so Bracewell could be taking a huge risk by making him one of only two genuine pacemen.

Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
Cairns has again been asked to return for the test series, I wish he would just for this series, NZ badly needs him.

Fiery

Banned
shaka said:
Cairns has again been asked to return for the test series, I wish he would just for this series, NZ badly needs him.
Do we ever? I think they should make him an offer he can't refuse but I think NZCC would be too proud to beg him

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I tell ya, I've never seen a retired player play as well as Cairns is right now.

:)

Seriously, I was under the impression he'd chosen to retire from Tests for personal reasons (i.e. to spend more time with family, etc.)?

Fiery

Banned
Top_Cat said:
I tell ya, I've never seen a retired player play as well as Cairns is right now.

Seriously, I was under the impression he'd chosen to retire from Tests for personal reasons (i.e. to spend more time with family, etc.)?
I don't think he'll change his mind on that one which is a shame as he could be the difference between a right royal rogering and dignified defeat. Even if he could be there to whack Lee (if he plays) and McGrath out of the park a few times it would be worth it. :dry:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:

He retired due to injury, and thought he could prolong his career by playing ODIs only. I think even if he played tests just as a batsman it would serve N.Z. better.

Blaze

Banned
Mister Wright said:
He retired due to injury, and thought he could prolong his career by playing ODIs only. I think even if he played tests just as a batsman it would serve N.Z. better.
He didn't retire due to injury..but you are right iwth the second part about prolonging his career.

Mister Wright

Blaze said:
He didn't retire due to injury..but you are right iwth the second part about prolonging his career.
He did retire due to injury, the fact that he kept getting injured and being out of the game for so long. By retiring from test cricket, it will prolong his career.

Blaze

Banned
Mister Wright said:
He did retire due to injury, the fact that he kept getting injured and being out of the game for so long. By retiring from test cricket, it will prolong his career.
Wrong again. I know the guy personally and he definetly did not retire due to injury. He hadn't suffered an injury for over a year by the time he retired from test cricket. The main reasons were that playing both tests and ODI's meant that he had to spend a lot of time away from his family and as a consequence didn't want to play both so he decided to stick with the ODI's because it is less stressful on the body.

Mister Wright

Blaze said:
Wrong again. I know the guy personally and he definetly did not retire due to injury. He hadn't suffered an injury for over a year by the time he retired from test cricket. The main reasons were that playing both tests and ODI's meant that he had to spend a lot of time away from his family and as a consequence didn't want to play both so he decided to stick with the ODI's because it is less stressful on the body.
So he was lying when he was interviewed on the Cricket Show on foxtel this summer then?

Fiery

Banned
There wasn't any particular injury that made him decide to retire from test cricket. He just wanted to extend his career and with his history of injuries thought that would be the best way to do it. Family and personal reasons were obviously a factor as well. Would be great if he could make one last stand against the Aussies now that he is completely injury free, looked in better touch in his last knock and is bowling pretty well but it wont happen.