• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Confused Leggy

Monty

U19 Cricketer
I am very confused at the moment
i am a right handed leg spin bowler with a difference
i use a leg spin action perfectly but every time i try to bowl a leg break it comes out as a wrong un is this good or bad. my coach saw my action and said it was perfect for the leg break but he and i are confused as to what is happening does any one have a similar problem :wacko:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Maybe the seam changes direction in midair.

Have you tried it with different balls?

Anyway, I'd kill for a talent like that.

Camel56

Banned
I say dont worry about it. Over time you will become less confused and more certain of your own ***uality. Just be comfortable in who you are.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
try bowling with a really round arm action for a bit, and see if that changes anything. otherwise, i'd work on having the palm of my hand behind the ball at the point of release.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I used to do that too. Would always bowl a wrong-un instead of a leg break. I can bowl rippping leg breaks now (whether they get on the pitch is another thing :happy: ) but now I can't bowl a wrong-un for the life of me.

How things change. :(

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Camel56 said:
I say dont worry about it. Over time you will become less confused and more certain of your own ***uality. Just be comfortable in who you are.
Yeah. It'll come naturally.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Monty said:
i use a leg spin action perfectly but every time i try to bowl a leg break it comes out as a wrong un is this good or bad. my coach saw my action and said it was perfect for the leg break but he and i are confused as to what is happening does any one have a similar problem :wacko:
I have/did have the same problem! Now i don't try to turn it, I bowl it out of the front of the hand.

bryce

International Regular
Monty said:
you may find your bowling it more out the back of your hand as opposed to letting it come out the side where you can use your wrist to make the ball turn

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Monty said:
my coach saw my action and said it was perfect for the leg break but he and i are confused as to what is happening does any one have a similar problem
sounds like a great coach :wacko:

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm always experimenting with my leggies and can get them going quite nicely at times, but my attempted wrong-uns always just come out as leg-breaks (and usually turn more than the normal ones to boot). However, I have a friend who trys to bowl leggies at me in the nets and can only bowl wrong-uns. I can only bowl wrong-uns by accident :(

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I went through this exact phase about four years ago. The general problem in 99% of these cases is the fact that you're thinking too hard about your wrist position and putting much too much into the rotation of the wrist when you bowl. Here comes another coaching section excerpt!

A wrist spinner's basic grip is to hold the ball, with its seam horizontal, cupped in the first three fingers of their bowling hand, with the index and ring fingers roughly on opposite sides, and the middle finger fractionally closer to the index finger – resulting in all three fingers lying across the seam. It's perfectly normal for the thumb or the little finger to rest on the ball, but rare for either to do any actual work when it comes to spinning the ball. The hand action that imparts the spin itself is similar to that of the finger-spinner – the “turning a doorknob” motion – but since it's in the opposite direction (anti-clockwise for the right-handed leg-spinner, and clockwise for the left-handed chinaman bowler) and as such involves the wrist to a much greater extent, it's much more forceful. With practice, when the ball is spun the seam will remain in approximately the same position – resulting in achieving more grip and hence more turn as it lands.

Returning to the ever-trusty tennis ball, if you take it in the wrist-spinner's grip and simply lob it gently, underarm, into the air – remembering to include the hand action as it's released, you'll see it spin a significant amount either to your left (if you're right handed) or to your right (if you're a left-hander). A wrist-spinner's full action is generally closer to “front-on” than “side-on” – the bowler looks in front of his front arm (or between his two arms as they're raised) and the “imaginary lines” angle across the pitch in the direction of the covers and midwicket. As with finger-spin, it's important to “pivot” strongly on your front foot as you prepare to release the ball, and equally after your release to “drive” or follow through strongly with your back leg (the same side as your bowling arm). The bowling arm is generally vertical, or near-vertical, which allows the bowler to gain as much bounce as possible and get the ball above the batsman's eye-line more easily. It's not uncommon, however, for wrist-spinners to bowl with much flatter arms as either a natural action or simply as a variation.

The practice with the underarm action is a very good way of getting the rotations in the right direction. To recap, start with your palm upwards and rotate it anti-clockwise, finishing with the palm downwards, so the ball spins to your left after it bounces. You can then incorporate this into your action.

I've written a lot more on variations, etc, but I'll post that once you've got the basics sorted. Feel free to add me to your MSN list (address in sig...)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
chris.hinton said:
Neil that is very Basic Caoching... i think he needs a bit more Advanced Stuff
Not really. The most basic thing about leg spin bowling is getting the ball to turn as a leg break. Since he can't do that, he needs to go back to basics.

I think Neil is right. You're probably concentrating much too much on your wrist. I'd bet you're turning the ball the opposite way (in an off break position) before you give it the flick with the fingers.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Another wee thing to add to Neil's advice is have a look where your arm is ending up. If it's not ending up well towards your left side, it's not going to help the whole mechanism of rolling your arm across, which rolls your wrist across, which helps rolls your fingers across the ball.