• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajit Agarkar - retirement, life after wards

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bookie said:
Why can't Agarkar cement a spot in the team? India don't need Kumble anymore, he's getting to old...
Eh? What? He's the third best spinner in the world, and the most reliable bowler in the Indian team. Suggesting India don't need him because he is "too old" is like suggesting Australia do not need Warne or McGrath... or for that matter Hayden, Martyn, Gilchrist and Langer, who are all getting on a bit. He is only too old when his performances start to drop off, which they haven't yet.

Bookie

U19 12th Man
Not when theyve got Harbhajan to bowl spin and part timers in Sehwag and Sachin. Kumble is a leggie who gets the wickets, but gets smashed much more - comparative to MacGill (except much more experienced). Most of the time, he's getting figures like 4-150 and such. Don't get me wrong, I love India, but he's too old on Indian terms. The batsmen might me old, but the last time India had an old bowler it was Kapil Dev. Kumble should amble along to the 500 wicket mark and then retire. Then Agarkar can come in (who doesn't love a guy who gets 5 ducks in a row).

Bookie

U19 12th Man
As for the Australian team, I hate Hohns and his boys, talkign about 'old' and 'form' in the same sentnece, why the hell did Bevan and Blewett get dropped? Theyre creaming the ING and Pura cup with their batting, yet they can't get into a squad of 25 which somehow includes Matthew Elliot...bloody joke.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bookie said:
Kumble is a leggie who gets the wickets, but gets smashed much more - comparative to MacGill (except much more experienced).
Is that the biggest insult ever?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Post 98, Kumble HAS NOT been our best bowler in ODIs. In tests, yes, he is the best, but in ODIs, no, sir, no.
who actually has been our best bowler in odis?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Bookie said:
As for the Australian team, I hate Hohns and his boys, talkign about 'old' and 'form' in the same sentnece, why the hell did Bevan and Blewett get dropped? Theyre creaming the ING and Pura cup with their batting, yet they can't get into a squad of 25 which somehow includes Matthew Elliot...bloody joke.
They're making long term investments.

If they're not going to be world-beaters in 2007-10, why stop a young player from plying his trade?

It's not like they haven't had chances to cement their spots.

sangita

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
my hero ajit

agarkar shouyld not retire because . we all will not able to see him . he is a good player i like him froim last eight years

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So they don't need their best bowler?
honestbharani said:
Post 98, Kumble HAS NOT been our best bowler in ODIs. In tests, yes, he is the best, but in ODIs, no, sir, no.
FaaipDeOiad said:
Eh? What? He's the third best spinner in the world, and the most reliable bowler in the Indian team.
Hmm...
Kumble up to WC99
Kumble after WC99
The latter is hardly an impressive record - in fact it's very poor.
If you ask me a very good summing-up of Kumble is provided in this article, I'd noticed his record getting worse but this enlightened me further.
It's also interesting to look at Harbhajan Singh's record in the same period, it's a pretty impressive one.