• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test matches vs ODIs

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Though there are awesome films that were written and created purely for film, you'll find that most 5 star films originated as novels ;)

I acknowledge your point though.
Hey, not to get sidetracked, but the vast majority of films based on books are awful. ;)

Casablanca, The Godfather, Citizen Kane... these aren't based on novels. ;)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Test is the only form of the game is that truly offers the deepest insight into the talent of a player. Only the best players will ever suceed at this level. well achieve any real sucess that is.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ermm yes. Okay, I'll blame that one on it being late. :p
Lol okay ;)

Well to end this argument on movies being based on books usually being classics, here's just a few:

dr. strangelove or: how i l earned to stop worrying and love the bomb
goodfellas
to kill a mockingbird
the pianist
raging bull
fight club
the manchurian candidate (original in 1962)
a clockwork orange
forrest gump
once upon a time in america
the green mile

Now granted there are greats such as Pulp Fiction, Rear Window etc (plus those you mentioned) that weren't based on novels, the greatest stories were generally first written down, and then transformed to be visually stunning as well as brilliant. :p

Anyway, we've kind of taken a tangent from the topic. ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Now granted there are greats such as Pulp Fiction, Rear Window etc (plus those you mentioned) that weren't based on novels, the greatest stories were generally first written down, and then transformed to be visually stunning as well as brilliant. :p

Oh, there's plenty more as well. The Shining, American Psycho... hey, the latest version of The Importance Of Being Ernest was great. ;)

It's just that *most* films based on books are vastly inferior to the books and overall quite poor, and there are plenty of original films that are true classics.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Lol okay ;)

Well to end this argument on movies being based on books usually being classics, here's just a few:

dr. strangelove or: how i l earned to stop worrying and love the bomb
goodfellas
to kill a mockingbird
the pianist
raging bull
fight club
the manchurian candidate (original in 1962)
a clockwork orange
forrest gump
once upon a time in america
the green mile

I'd say that of the books I've read and the films I've seen of the above, in every case, the book was much much better than the film.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fair enough, but it wasn't what we were arguing. :p We were debating whether most classic films were first novels or were originally screenplays. ;)