• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Solanki?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SpaceMonkey said:
Well and truely dropped :)
YAY, slightly odd tho because Solanki's last game he scored a faster-than-a-run-a-ball century. I hope Strauss & Trescothick open in ODIs, although I expect they'll leave Strauss down the order with Flintoff not there.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
YAY, slightly odd tho because Solanki's last game he scored a faster-than-a-run-a-ball century. I hope Strauss & Trescothick open in ODIs, although I expect they'll leave Strauss down the order with Flintoff not there.
They wont change the team. Struass will open imo, with Pieterson coming in lower down in Flintoffs place.

Scaly piscine

Strauss has only opened the one ODI and that was his debut game, Bell opened in all the games against Zim, so I'd expect Bell to play as an opener, even tho I'd much prefer Strauss to open personally.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Yes he is a tad dissappointing, but the problem is he keeps coming up whith a good score every tmie a dropping is round he corner and he has got the best straight drive i have seen IMHO.

however i do agree, they should drop him because there are beter options than him ie strauss and bell. still think he's got a cracking straight drive tho.

Scaly piscine

Yea it is annoying the way Solanki gets a good score just as he's about to be dropped, considering the somewhat friendly run of games he's had playing for England (12 innings against Zim, 3 against Bangladesh - that's half of his innings against minnow sides) and he only just averages over 25 it amazes me he's still in the squad let alone probably the first XI as well.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He's in the A squad for the tour of the UAE and Sri Lanka which takes place after the ODI series in South Africa.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
I don't wanna doubt anyone's word, but according to Sky Vikram is still in the ODI squad & he's listed on Cricinfo too. :huh:

Link here:

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ENG_IN_RSA/ENG_IN_RSA_DEC2004-FEB2005_ENG-SQUAD.html
Weird.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/england/england-a-squad-for-tour-of-uae-and-sri-lanka.html

The ECB site have him as in the England 'A' tour. But ive just noticed that the 'A' Tour doesnt start till 26th Feb. So i guess like Bell and Pietersen he'll play in the one day series then go join the 'A' Tour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Geirant Jones will now open for a while according to Vaughan.
You never know, there might just be the slightest off-chance of Solanki batting in the middle-order.
But honestly; why the hell must England consistently try to turn middle-order batsmen (many of whom aren't even good enough - such as Jones and Solanki) into ODI openers? It just defies belief.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Well Geirant Jones will now open for a while according to Vaughan.
You never know, there might just be the slightest off-chance of Solanki batting in the middle-order.
But honestly; why the hell must England consistently try to turn middle-order batsmen (many of whom aren't even good enough - such as Jones and Solanki) into ODI openers? It just defies belief.
IIRC Solanki is an opening batman for his county

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bell gets 2 low scores, England lose 2 games - Jones gets a 20 and a 30 at 90-per-100-balls or so.
Not inconceivable at all.