• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Test Opener

Who should be the new New Zealand opener?

• J. How

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • M. Papps

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • M. Horne

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • M. Bell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. Cumming

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • B. Watling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P. Fulton

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other (Who)

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Horne is too old. They will look to the future. Watling is far to young and inexperienced. He has certainly not shone. He only got his first domiestic 50 the other day. My picks would be from Pappsy or Jamie How. I don't think Fulton is an opener(future test number 3 or 4 though).

ch00baka

School Boy/Girl Captain
Horne has experience and experience is crucial when playing a team of the likes of Australia

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
He has fialed too many times. Far to many, why not change something.. what is there to lose

Fiery

Banned
ch00baka said:
Horne has experience and experience is crucial when playing a team of the likes of Australia
Not a bad call actually. He scored a ton in his first knock against Oz and could use his sledging skills in the field.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Sledging is not going to win u a game when you playing professional cricket. These guys train to cope with it. and if he gives any he will get 20 times more back at him. Why shouldn't papps get anouther chance. he has performed well when given it.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tamara said:
Sledging is not going to win u a game when you playing professional cricket. These guys train to cope with it. and if he gives any he will get 20 times more back at him. Why shouldn't papps get anouther chance. he has performed well when given it.
Not to mention sledging when you have a lisp is a bit counterproductive.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Just the best people in the world to give and to cope with getting sledging is austraila. To beat them it is going to take a hell of a lot more than that

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Yes but I think it will come down to more than one opener about losing the aus series. Flem will open the series.. and either SInclair or papps I would think. But then selectors do not seem to be human when it comes to selections

Fiery

Banned
Tamara said:
It was more of a joke than a serious reason for selecting him. I've heard him pull out some pearlers when he's fielding on the boundary in State Cricket usually ribbing his own team mates though.

Ming

State 12th Man
The State Championship still has a long way to go, with many players pressing their cases for selections.

If either Fulton or Vincent continues their good form, then I would have Sinclair and Fleming opening and slotting one of those two in at 3. If How or Papps or Cumming emerge as better candidates, then I would put Sinclair back to 3, and give one of those three an opening slot...