• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Test Opener

Who should be the new New Zealand opener?

• J. How

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • M. Papps

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • M. Horne

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • M. Bell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. Cumming

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • B. Watling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P. Fulton

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other (Who)

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This thread shows something. When I created it I suggested How and he didn't arrive to three years later.
That's because he was ****. His improvement of late has been remarkable and I rate him pretty highly now, but that doesn't mean he should have been playing three years ago. His first stint in Test cricket actually began only a year after you started this thread and he was shocking. He didn't do much better in First Class cricket at the time either. He's improved his technique significantly and he's a better player for it, but it wasn't the case in 2005 or 2006.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
You cant drop Remond yet. He had a poor tour in tough conditions against some word class bowlers, it was dissappointing but you gotta give him at least one more series. Anyway, who else do we have:

Cumming: should never play test cricket again unless he sorts out the lbw problem
Papps: probably next best but cant make step up to intenational cricket
Bell: mybe a bit hard done by but he did look bloody awful in the home series v england
Hay: Id give him a shot at opening looks a bright talent
Flynn: looks to havea solid technique that could transfer into an opener but will take time

Bell, Papps and Cumming have all tried and all failed. If Redmond doesnt work out then id give a young guy a shot.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You cant drop Remond yet. He had a poor tour in tough conditions against some word class bowlers, it was dissappointing but you gotta give him at least one more series. Anyway, who else do we have:

Cumming: should never play test cricket again unless he sorts out the lbw problem
Papps: probably next best but cant make step up to intenational cricket
Bell: mybe a bit hard done by but he did look bloody awful in the home series v england
Hay: Id give him a shot at opening looks a bright talent
Flynn: looks to havea solid technique that could transfer into an opener but will take time

Bell, Papps and Cumming have all tried and all failed. If Redmond doesnt work out then id give a young guy a shot.
I don't think Cumming should be classed as a complete failure. He failed to do his job, imo, in 4 out of 11 tests (as a whole).

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Id say, that whoever you choose for the Bangladesh series should be persevered with through the Australian series. If you keep Redmond for BAngladesh then he should play against Aus IMO. I dont see the point of chucking in a young opening batsman against Aus for his debut. An easy way to ruin someones confidence. If there is going to be a change ( I dont think they should) then I hope the new person whoever they may be has a few games against Bangladesh before going against Aus.