• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Indian Batting Prospects

Who will make the greatest impact on Indian cricket within the next five years?

• V. Mane (Mumbai)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N. Patel (Gujarat)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • D. Jadhav (Maharashtra)

• Y. Venugopal Rao (Andhra Pradesh)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • B. Rowland (Karnataka)

• S. Raina (Uttar Pradesh)

• S. Dhawan (Delhi)

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • R. Ricky (Punjab)

• A. Rayudu (Hyderabad)

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

adharcric

International Coach
In your opinion, which of the following domestic-level batsmen will make the greatest impact on Indian cricket within the next five years?

V. Mane (Mumbai)
N. Patel (Gujarat)
D. Jadhav (Maharashtra)
Y. Venugopal Rao (Andhra Pradesh)
B. Rowland (Karnataka)
S. Raina (Uttar Pradesh)
S. Dhawan (Delhi)
R. Ricky (Punjab)
A. Rayudu (Hyderabad)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Of all those guys, I am really interested in Venugopal Rao. It would be interesting to see how he goes over the next couple of years. If he can continue his good form, he could find himself in the Indian side.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Watch ot for Raina. He showed he had some talent in the under-19 World Cup I saw on t.v. While you cant judge a lot from an under 19 world cup, he looked very talented.

He is now making the runs in domestic cricket as well. Played well in the last Zonal One dayer which is always a good sign. I think he will atleast make the team in the next three years. Whether he will be a good performer or a flash in the pan internationally, only the future can tell.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There is a surplus of batting options for the Indian team, so they can't make the side on batting alone. They need some extra skills to see them through.
  • Vinayak Mane- Not known to last long at the crease, he can score quickly and even get the odd century. He's also a good fielder and he's been in the runs this season. But he's one opener too many.
  • Niraj Patel- Again, one opener too many. They don't need to pick and drop so many openers if they want two quality openers in the side- the existing pair of Sehwag and Gambhir, with Jadhav as reserve, are good enough and they don't need anyone else for the next two years, but his good form indicates that they're never short of options.
  • Dheeraj Jadhav- Should be an automatic choice, given his FC and List-A averages, but has not played much of better quality bowling, except this Ranji. He's a slow scorer, but he can bat through the innings. Another good fielder.
  • Venugopal Rao- He shot to fame with a power-packed double century and a massive partnership with Sridharan Sriram, to win against England A, chasing over 500 in the fourth innings. His performances have been nothing out of the ordinary, but consistent. His bowling may keep him ahead, but they don't need more bit bowlers- they need batsmen who can bowl longer spells.
  • The rest- Not everyone can get an India cap. The pitches here are conducive to batting, which is why you have a standard average of over 40, with a common average of over 50. The Indian batting lineup is packed, while reserves are banging on selectors' doors, so competition is intense. This is where more versatile batsmen sneak ahead. Reetinder Sodhi of Punjab and Sunny Singh of Haryana are good bowlers and must extend their skills by practising their bowling. A benchmark should be set- every batsman should be a competent fielder.

adharcric

International Coach
I personally think Venugopal Rao and Dheeraj Jadhav will be in the national team soon. In the long run, Suresh Raina and Shikhar Dhawan could be forces to reckon with, as could Ambati Rayudu if his performance improves.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
None of them, actually. I dont see Sachin,Sehwag, Laxman, Dravid, Kaif, Gambhir retiring in next 4-5 years.

adharcric

International Coach
good point sanz, but tendulkar, dravid, ganguly, laxman won't last much more than 5 years. maybe we can extend this question to 7 or 8 years(i don't know about sachin playing beyond his late 30s) if you like, the point is to identify the future ...

so say at that time we've got kaif, yuvraj, sehwag, gambhir still there among the current lot of batsman (slight chance of laxman, doubt it though)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric, You really think that this lot is going to hang around for next 7 or 8 years. IMO by then we will have a new crop of much more talented youngsters.

adharcric

International Coach
no sanz, i can tell you at least one of the guys i listed will be a regular or near-regular member of the indian side ...