• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe

Martin Crowe. Love him or hate him?

• Total voters

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Love him or hate him?

Personally I think the guy is a legend. I have read both his autobiography and biography and love the guy. Even these days he still cops flack on the radio. I think it's great that he is still involved in the game through comentary because even though he goes over the top on occasions he has a great cricket brain. IMO he was roughly treated during his career although granted he brought some of it on himself. So whats your opinion on, for me NZ's greatest batsman/captain

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, given the start he had to his career, it was amazing that he ended with such good stats. He himself admitted, during an interview to Harsha Bhogle, that he felt he was initiated a little too soon to international cricket. I wonder how his stats would have been had he debuted a little later.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
honestbharani said:
Yeah, given the start he had to his career, it was amazing that he ended with such good stats. He himself admitted, during an interview to Harsha Bhogle, that he felt he was initiated a little too soon to international cricket. I wonder how his stats would have been had he debuted a little later.
And had he not had to carry a team through the late 80's and more so into the early 90's

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lol classic...brilliant advertisement for the studio who did it though. It's clearly worked for Crowe.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
After reading Tortured Genius - An Unauthorised Biography by Joseph Romanos a while back, I find it hard to make an overall love/hate judgement on Crowe without separating him into parts:

As a batsman? Loved watching him as a kid. At one stage I was keeping a bandana in my school bag for batting at lunchtime.

As a person? Still seems pretty aloof, and holds grudges a lot longer than most of us. A pretty insular, intense sort of guy that found it hard to tolerate people who simply aren't as gifted as him. Except for his brother, who was allowed to try hard and not do so well.

I find it pretty sad that he still has to take everything so personally, or make things personal. Right from starting a press conference after scoring a 100 once with "right, today I'll ask the questions. Do you think I'm a homosexual?" through to his spat with Andrew McLean recently.

As a commentator? Not quite as much of a pull-string doll as Danny "outstanding! smashing it to all parts" Morrisson, but still not one of my favourites.

I like Crowe a lot more when he's being the Kiwi version of Ian Chappell, rather than trying to be a poor man's Bill Lawry.

Fiery

Banned
He was my idol as a kid.
Graeme Hughes impersonation has worn a bit thin.
I cringe everytime he says "Holy Cow!", "That's half a dozen!" or "Whackideedoo!". I do think he provides insightful commentary most of the time though.
He was one of the greatest batsmen to watch.
Perfect technique and balance.
He looked good even when he was getting out.
Probably a bit of a snob in real life.
The hair job has improved.
He no longer looks like a possumhead.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
I have a friend who's family name is as famous as the Crowe name in NZ cricket, and the stories i have heard about Crowe makes me wonder how anybody can like that guy.

Fiery

Banned
southern man said:
I have a friend who's family name is as famous as the Crowe name in NZ cricket, and the stories i have heard about Crowe makes me wonder how anybody can like that guy.
You can't do that to us! Is your mate a Hadlee, a Bracewell or a Cairns? Do tell.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Fiery said:
You can't do that to us! Is your mate a Hadlee, a Bracewell or a Cairns? Do tell.
Going on what school southern man went to, I think I can hazard a guess...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He's the best NZ batter I've ever seen, although don't know much about him as a bloke.

Gotta say tho I took against him after his contributions to ESPN's Legends of Cricket. Not for what he said, but 'cos he shaves his sideburns way too high! Right over his ears! Looks like a redneck from D1p****, Idaho! :D

Obviously the syrup counts against him too...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
What he achieved while playing the game is outstanding however I do not agree with his coaching ways. Have had a lot of sessions with him can can say his ways are certainly not for me.. they may work for some people though

Fiery

Banned
Tamara said:
What he achieved while playing the game is outstanding however I do not agree with his coaching ways. Have had a lot of sessions with him can can say his ways are certainly not for me.. they may work for some people though
What didn't you like about his coaching methods Tamara? Congrats on your recent ton by the way.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
He was the cause of a major problem of mine. He decided in mid season to change my stance and set up totally. He is a big believe of just your head being in line and not caring about your feet. This caused major problems for cover driving and back foot play. I was kind of stuck with no time to do anything. I could see the benfits for leg side shots but a mijority of balls are pitched off side which he brings no option to play at. however in saying that I know it has worked for another person he worked with.

His way of setting up is :
1) Back foot goes in.
2) head get in exact position
3) then front foot just falls into place.( generally very open with a wide stance)