• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe

Martin Crowe. Love him or hate him?

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fiery said:
Ah! I've heard them referred to as Porky's as well.
I don't wanna turn the thread into A beginner's guide to Cambridge-****ney rhyming slang , but "Porkies" in my part of the world generally mean "untruths"; from "Pork Pies" : lies. :D

Fiery

Banned
Tamara said:
He was the cause of a major problem of mine. He decided in mid season to change my stance and set up totally. He is a big believe of just your head being in line and not caring about your feet. This caused major problems for cover driving and back foot play. I was kind of stuck with no time to do anything. I could see the benfits for leg side shots but a mijority of balls are pitched off side which he brings no option to play at. however in saying that I know it has worked for another person he worked with.

His way of setting up is :
1) Back foot goes in.
2) head get in exact position
3) then front foot just falls into place.( generally very open with a wide stance)
I had a lean trot last year and this year I have been moving my back foot first and am scoring a lot more runs this year. I'm no expert but maybe you should move it a bit earlier. Sounds obvious I know but I make sure my weight is slightly forward and on my toes just as the bowler lets go of the ball. That way if it's short I have the option of rocking back and cutting or pulling or if its full you can lean on it or drive it but then my career peaked at Thames Valley Under 16s. When I decided to get better at golf I took some lessons and I reckon you should do what comes naturally unless you have a major technical flaw to iron out and then if you need to work on things to only work on one thing at a time until your muscle memory does it naturally and you don't even have to think about it.

Fiery

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
I don't wanna turn the thread into A beginner's guide to Cambridge-****ney rhyming slang , but "Porkies" in my part of the world generally mean "untruths"; from "Pork Pies" : lies. :D
Oh yeah. I must be confusing the two

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
I find it pretty sad that he still has to take everything so personally, or make things personal. Right from starting a press conference after scoring a 100 once with "right, today I'll ask the questions. Do you think I'm a homosexual?" through to his spat with Andrew McLean recently.
I have heard he has had a spat with Andrew McLean reecently..But don't know anything about it. Can you fill me in?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Andrew McLean criticised Martin Crowe & Sky Tv recently on Cricinfo.
Martin Crowe then asked to write a response to the article. You might be able to find them still in the archives on Cricinfo.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was my hero as a kid....He was the young buck in the team when I started watchin cricket in the early 80s... Watched him develop into a world-class batsmen...

Crowe was one of the "great batsmen of his era"....

If it wasn't for his career ending injury I believe he would have been one of the "great batsmen of All-time".

Fiery

Banned
zinzan12 said:
Was my hero as a kid....He was the young buck in the team when I started watchin cricket in the early 80s... Watched him develop into a world-class batsmen...

Crowe was one of the "great batsmen of his era"....

If it wasn't for his career ending injury I believe he would have been one of the "great batsmen of All-time".
His hair is looking particularly rude today on Sky Sport where he was previewing the game with Smithy. The tacked on part is a completely different colour again. Nice. It's all swept back and wispy. Not a good advertisement for Advanced Hair Studio.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fabulous batsman - goes without saying.

Met him a number of times in the late 80s through his brother - extremely nice guy.

bryce

International Regular
i don't mind his commentating - he tries to set a good atmosphere by being rather eccentric - even though if he does sound a bit silly sometimes, quotes from todays game after sixes were hit says it all,
"Heavens tibetzi!"
"Good gracious Mavis!"

bryce

International Regular
doesn't compare with some of Navjot's Sidhu's though,
"You could graze a herd of cows on this wicket!"
"As sweet as a tutti-fruity!"

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't usually like him as a commentator but he gave me a few good laughs in the 10/10 game today. Like when Fleming was bowling his first ball he said "oh dear" while the ball was slowly moving towards the batsman.

tooextracool

International Coach
martin crowe was quite a brilliant batsman, it was disappointing that he only ended up with an average of 45, when he was such a great player and should have averaged over 50. as a captain, he was the best captain ive ever seen, and i still enjoy listening to his commentary.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Martin Crowe is the most techincally solid batsman I have ever seen. I remember seeing him against Wasim at his peak, when all the other NZ batsmen had no clue but he had no problems. Similarly with Waqar on a tour to Pakistan, he was completely at ease, and bowlers almost wanted to get him to the other end so they could have a shot.

Best defensive technique I have ever seen.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think thats why players like Crowe will never be able to coach. Everything came so easy for him, so he will find it difficult to understand why other's can't do the same.

If you take a look at most of the international coaches around the world..hardly any of them played alot of international cricket, and if they did they didn't have exceptional records.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Similar to Richard Hadlee; technically brilliant player, individual performance focused, but not the most likeable guy, bad commentator. But unlike Hadlee, he didn't fully achieve his potential.

Good captain of a hopeless side didn't help his individual record.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Will Scarlet said:
Similar to Richard Hadlee; technically brilliant player, individual performance focused, but not the most likeable guy, bad commentator. But unlike Hadlee, he didn't fully achieve his potential.

Good captain of a hopeless side didn't help his individual record.
I agree with 2extracool. He is probably the best captain I have seen. Especially his innivation at the world cup. It would have been so great if he had have been in the enviornment of the current team as a player. He would have at least had some half decent players around him