• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetical Question

Would he be selected?

• Yes

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Steulen

International Regular
Of course you'd play him. Use Paul Collingwood as a substitute fielder as much as you can ( (c) England) and there's no trouble at all.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
if he were that large, he could lay down and let the ball hit him, just become a road block. its better than him not being on the ground at all.
I didn't see this one coming, LOL, I can barely type this , i am in absolute fits. good point as well

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
On a more serious note, if this guy is the batting genious that you say he is, one can't be in their right mind to leave him out a side coz of his fielding.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Problem with putting him at short leg is that the ball may rebound at bizarre angles and fly away to the boaundary.

Plus side is you can have an 8-1 field!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think however bad the guy may be, he cannot cost more than 60 runs a game to the side. If he can contribute 100 runs a game, then his net value becomes 40, which is perfectly acceptable. So, I would play him.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
You'd have to select this guy, and try and hide him in the field.

Play ten tests with him and decide from that point whether he's batting average of 100 (assuming he's gonna to average that) is a worthwhile trade off for his fielding.

You've got to remember though, sometime poor fielding can't just be measured in runs conceeded and dropped catches. It has such a negative affect on the entire team. When the pressure is on the batting team, all it can take is one dropped catch to ruin an entire afternoon's work and allow the batsmen back into the game.

Lockey

Cricket Spectator
Of course you play him. If his fielding is as bad as you say, then you just replace him with a substitute fielder when in the field. If that substitute fielder was someone like Paul Collingwood, then you're quids in.