• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aggressively Vocal On-Field Players - Yay or Nay?

What's your take on banter?

• Total voters

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Happens with loads of people.. It is easy to let the pressures of cricket totally get to you while on the field..
I myself am known as being a nice guy who turns into a moody selfish pr*ck when I am batting and bowling.. Its just reacting differently to a situation.. I hope it is this way around and not the other as well!
the problem with Nel is that the aggressivness is obviously quite destructive for him. When he calmed down he bowled a bit better.

The problem is the guy isnt good enough bowler to start getting lippy with players with proven track records at international standard and who were probably playing first class cricket when he was having tantrums about not wanting to go to school..the guy just looked childish and dumb.

However he did appear to be pretty chilled during the interview afterwards.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing that I've noticed about Nel is that he sledges sometimes after poor deliveries. That's not the fast bowler's way. First you need something to be proud of, then you let the batsman know about it. ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Nel tries to make himself believe that unless he is in the batsmans face with verbals, he thinks he isnt doing 100% of his job, or that he may look like he is coasting.. It only takes the media to drum up something and he is out there trying to prove everything..

I saw him a bit in the CC, with the cameras and pressure off, and he seemed to be a very amiable bloke, as good as any.. I reckon he is just trying to prove his detractors and going about it in a pretty stupid manner..

I know for a fact that my performance with ball and bat go to pieces when I get too intense, bar one occasion when I flayeda moody 80 odd.. I doubt Neller is any different

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Banter is good. The trouble with stump mike's is the children hear all the dirty words too, which we don't want. Don't want them to think it's cool 'cos their hereos say that! On the other hand, I'm getting quite good at lip reading 'cos I want to know what they say not just see it. :angel-not

willb88

Cricket Spectator
Banter

The best banter I've ever heard was when our main spinner was bowling against a left hander, he couldn't play him, he must have faced about 5/6 over straight from the spinner and the spinner comes out with "are you sure you're left handed?"
The batsman actually had to think about it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
jot1 said:
Banter is good. The trouble with stump mike's is the children hear all the dirty words too, which we don't want. Don't want them to think it's cool 'cos their hereos say that! On the other hand, I'm getting quite good at lip reading 'cos I want to know what they say not just see it. :angel-not
Funniest one was our manager at Plymouth Argyle, was standing a bit to close to the FX mike at home park.. The loudest set of expletives I have heard on daytime TV got unleashed in the game against Everton :)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
As for the McGrath esque ***ual references, I find that absolutely disgusting whether it is on the cricket field or off it.. To the "I had you mum last night jibe" I always reply with "But my mum is dead" Serves them bloody well right..
It would please you then to hear that McGrath was the recipient of one of the game's great retorts.

McGrath was bowling to an overweight, tail-end Zimbabwean batsman. McGrath had done everything but dismiss him for a number of overs and by this time had used up every sledge he could think of. The next ball, the batsman edged the ball through the slips for 4 and McGrath could think of nothing more clever than, "Why are you so fat?"

To his eternal credit, and the enjoyment of a world-wide television audience (as the entire exchange was picked up by the ground effects mike), the batsman responded with, "Because every time I sleep with your wife she gives me a biscuit."

The entire Australian slips cordon and the 2 umpires literally fell about laughing whilst McGrath could think of no response.

The exchange is available on the internet somewhere.

crickey

Cricket Spectator
yip all for it...and love it when i comes from the crowd to...in fact i dont think there is enough!!! agree with the racism call no need!!!

ans in agreeance most important is the hand shake at the end then you know its all about competitiveness and not too much arrogance

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
social said:
It would please you then to hear that McGrath was the recipient of one of the game's great retorts.

McGrath was bowling to an overweight, tail-end Zimbabwean batsman. McGrath had done everything but dismiss him for a number of overs and by this time had used up every sledge he could think of. The next ball, the batsman edged the ball through the slips for 4 and McGrath could think of nothing more clever than, "Why are you so fat?"

To his eternal credit, and the enjoyment of a world-wide television audience (as the entire exchange was picked up by the ground effects mike), the batsman responded with, "Because every time I sleep with your wife she gives me a biscuit."

The entire Australian slips cordon and the 2 umpires literally fell about laughing whilst McGrath could think of no response.

The exchange is available on the internet somewhere.

Yeah, the batsman was Eddo Brandes. If only Merv had bowled at him.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There will be some banter. But it can cross limits, whatever they maybe. It always will.

The only thing to keep it within limits is
1. the umpires should be authorised to deal with it, there and then, on the field, using their own discretion and they should be fully empowered to do so.

2. The captains should NEVER , repeat NEVER EVER, be a part of any banter whatsoever because they are the first level at which the players can be restrained and to which the umpires can go if before they decide to take unilateral action. Under no circumstance can a captain do anything accept diffuse the situation.

3. Habitual offenders should be dealt with very sternly. For this a periodic review committee should be formed. Taking action, by the ICC or any body beyond the umpires, for specific instances will always bring about talk of bias etc. Its difficult to assess the severity of a single offense against another single offense, while a six month or a year's overall conduct of a player can easily be discussed , more objectively, by a committe .