• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

50-over cricket

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
what can be done about it??

It's absolutely ridicolous now.

As was said in today's paper, you can time an innings and it's tactics to the second now. Every game is just so repetitive and whilst the big hitting can be exciting at times (even if it a little petitive), the middle overs are just redicolously boring. 5 fielders on the fence, 4 on the edge of the circle with the batsmen just picking the gaps for one and very happy to do so for 25 overs.

On the way home from work tonight, I was thinking of a handful of suggestsions as this is what i've come up with.

I don't mean that all of these should be used together either.

1) 2 25-over innings, but not playing 2 25-over games, but rather the wicket's carry over from innings to innings. So if at the end of 25-overs Australia is 3/133, they start the next 25 at 3/133. BUT, this would basically be the same as a 50-over match, so a little twist could be to allow two (2) of the batsmen who have been dismissed in the first 25 overs will be allowed to come back in for the second 25-over dig.

The not out batsmen at the end of 25 overs would have to open up the second 25-overs and the two nominated players* (must be nominated at the end of the 25 overs) must come in after the first and second wicket's fall. The only problem with this is there is no reward for a team taking 1 or 2 wicket's in the first 25 overs.

Big positive feature could be the aggressive batting shown from the batsmen from 20 to 25 overs if they are 0 or 1 wicket down and they can bat with the knowledge they'll get another dig later in the day if they get out now.

New Ball for each 25 overs, brining a bit of an advantage back to the bowlers.

*By nominated players i mean if you lose 3 or more wickets, than the captain must nominate the two players who can bat on in the second 25-overs at the end of the first 25-overs.

2) Field restrictions must come in same as ING Cup. As current for first 15 overs (2 outside the circle, 2 catching), and for overs 15-35, it should be 3 outside the circle with 1 catching). Last 15, no catches needed and 5 allowed outside the circle.

3) Return to allowing 2 balls between shoulder and top of head per over. Ball above the head in a no ball. Make the batsmen think. And wides relaxed just a little bit. Bring the off-side wide out about 3-4 inches, and give a bit of leeway down the leg side. Don't just make the bowlers bowl in the exact same regions time and time again.

4) Make 4's worth 6, and 6's worth 8, encouraging batsmen to play some strokes rather than just pushing the ball. To give something back to the bowlers, dock the batting team 5 runs per maiden and 10 runs per wicket coneeded.

That's about as far as i got. Haven't sought of sat down and worked out whether they're good ideas or not, but they're just ideas at the moment. Can't make the short version any more predicatable though i wouldn't reckon......

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Some seem a little crazy and stupid :P I have heard before about the 50 overs been split into two but not in the way you have said

Field restrictions and a new ball sounds good though

By the way what easts grade do u play for?

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I play for Easts under 16's. Last year i got the bowling award for our team and also for the whole comp :)

Duncan

U19 Debutant
I think the best way to get interest back in ODI cricket is to just stop all the useless ODI series being played, especially the ones that only involve two countries. I think series that involve 3 or 4 countries actually get interest.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Duncan said:
I think the best way to get interest back in ODI cricket is to just stop all the useless ODI series being played, especially the ones that only involve two countries. I think series that involve 3 or 4 countries actually get interest.
Its an ideal scenario for lovers of quality cricket. But would it be sutainable when one day cricket brings so much money? I doubt.

The exciting England South Africa test series wasnt played to packed houses. The stadium was very much less empty during much of the fourth test. It should be packed in the one day series.

The one dayers are usually packed if a home team is playing and even though so many of them are boring/meaning less for a lot of cricket fans, they bring in money.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
The World Series has become a joke over the last 10 years. Last good showing was AUS/NZ/SA. Most tri-series are unbalanced, boring affairs - especially when AUS is involved (due to the hidings they give other nations).

And the continued inclusion of BAN & ZIM has further degraded the quality of competitions.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
GoT_SpIn said:
I have seen decent crowd though through the test series
Considering the one dayers will be played to packed stadiums, the quality of test cricket played should have deserved atleast close to full houses.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
i fail to see whats wrong with one dayers....

was loving the last series nz played (Nz vs Aussie) close games.. good as games... crowds were fine...

Cant really use today as an example..
- Not a "real" cricket game.. does not count towards anything..
- Weather
- etc etc

But i bet u top dollar than in feb when nz play aussie again every game will be a sellout

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
played an interesting format last week in a few practice matches.

after the 15th over until the 40th, as soon as a bowler has bowled 4 dot balls that over, then the over is declared finished

and from the 15th till the end, if a batsman scores off 5 of the 6 balls of the over, he can face an extra ball. if he scores off all 6, then he can face 2 extra balls. just made the game really different. probably much better as a training exercise than a change to the rules for matches played for points, but interesting nonetheless

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
another one i thought've but forgot about was to not limit bowlers to 10 overs.

Increase the bowling limit to 12 over (or 1/4 of the innings for shortened matches), but they still must use a minimum of five bowlers in a completed innings.

This would add another tactical decision for a captain to make, and allows them to keep a bowler who is bowling well on for longer to put some more pressure on the batsmen.

The other thing is it would reduce the number of average all rounders (Ian Harvey, Chris Harris type players) around. Therefore you'd have stronger batting line-ups facing more overs of international quality bowlers - that could only be good for cricket....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Black Thunder said:
what can be done about it??

It's absolutely ridicolous now.

As was said in today's paper, you can time an innings and it's tactics to the second now. Every game is just so repetitive and whilst the big hitting can be exciting at times (even if it a little petitive), the middle overs are just redicolously boring. 5 fielders on the fence, 4 on the edge of the circle with the batsmen just picking the gaps for one and very happy to do so for 25 overs.
Yet as repetetive as it seems, 50-over ODI cricket is pulling the crowds in all over The World to this day and has been doing for at least the last 20 years. Why change it?
The more innovations you add, the less the game becomes credible as cricket. Since field-restrictions were brought-in, how many of these silly little things have we seen? The stupid reintroduction of over-shoulder-height balls; anything else? I hope the one-day game has completed it's evolution now - indeed that it had 15 years ago or whenever the field-restrictions were introduced - and any further changes are done with a new game.
The advent of one-evening (20-over) cricket is hopefully enough for the jolly-come-latelies; just leave the one-day game as it is. It's fine.