• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most dropped players ever?

Fiery

Banned
Would Graeme Hick be the player who has been dropped by his national side the most number of times? Does anyone know who officially holds this dubious record. Craig McMillan must be getting up there now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd guess Hick since I've been watching, but Ramprakash had quite a few goes at it too. Managed to play over 50 tests & ended up with an average of just under 28.

He's still creaming county attacks now!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Probably depends on your definition of "dropped". If being dropped is playing a test or two and then being omitted without an injury, it could be someone like Macgill. If it's having a sustained run in the side, then being dropped and coming back for a sustained run, Ramprakash would be my guess.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mohinder Amarnath would be high up on the list. Sidhu too for the last 15 years or so.

Fiery

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Probably depends on your definition of "dropped". If being dropped is playing a test or two and then being omitted without an injury, it could be someone like Macgill. If it's having a sustained run in the side, then being dropped and coming back for a sustained run, Ramprakash would be my guess.
I guess just being omitted then recalled. Graeme Hick was dropped and recalled no less than nine times, I know that for a fact, but wonder if this is a record.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Fiery said:
I guess just being omitted then recalled. Graeme Hick was dropped and recalled no less than nine times, I know that for a fact, but wonder if this is a record.
Well if it's just being omitted and then recalled, my pick is Stuart Macgill. He's played 33 tests, and excluding periods in which Warne was injured not many of them have been consecutive. I'd say he's been omitted and recalled back into the side at least 10-15 times.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well if it's just being omitted and then recalled, my pick is Stuart Macgill. He's played 33 tests, and excluding periods in which Warne was injured not many of them have been consecutive. I'd say he's been omitted and recalled back into the side at least 10-15 times.
Amazingly it's only 8 times.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure he was dropped that often was he?

Although having said that it's about 14 times he missed games after playing!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Not sure he was dropped that often was he (Devon Malcolm)?

Although having said that it's about 14 times he missed games after playing!
I couldn't say how many of the 14 times he was dropped, although i'd guess it was a fair few. He was a pretty strong guy, and I don't remember many injuries.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Amazingly it's only 8 times.
Interesting. Well, since he played well with the Watson experiment in Sydney, there's a fair chance he will get some more one-off games before Warne retires, so he might break 10.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think he'll only get the one offs when the pitch takes spin.

I suppose when it's the team changing to suit the conditions I'm not sure if you can call it being dropped anyway!

C_C

International Captain
Sidhu, Mohinder Amarnath, DeFreitas, Ramprakash, Hick, Dillon,Stuart Williams, Shahid Afridi....those are the names i can think of as of now.

masterblaster

International Captain
Vinod Kambli has been dropped 10 or more times. Ajit Agarkar, Shahid Afridi and Mark Ramprakash are all I can think up of now.