cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pietersen - enigma?

Cricket Spectator

Pietersen - enigma?

A superb entertainer with massive talent, but is he a good team player? At times he sems pre-occupied with himself, to the exclusion of his team.
    Can he overcome his ego - I hope so!

Why did he go to Hampshire. Was it money, Shane Warne, ambition, or dislike of a Notts team mate?

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    I've never seen him play or heard him speak, but from what I've heard of him, and some quotes of his I've come across, he does seem like a bit of a self-centred little boy.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

International Regular a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson
    from what I've heard of him, and some quotes of his I've come across, he does seem like a bit of a self-centred little boy.
    Truer words of wisdom have never been spoken. He is a muppet.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

His constant railing against the SA quota system is, at best, ill-conceived & he is a trifle self-centred, but I don't mind a guy having a bit of respect for his own ability.

It will be very interesting to see how he gets on in the ODIs.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Brexit is the Tory party's baby; it's been a long and painful labour and, at the very last minute, they've sh@t all over it.'" - Frankie Boyle

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    I dont see anything wrong in a player moaning about the quota system when he's possibly a victim of it. It's his livelyhood remember. Pieterson is no more confident in his own ability any every Australian i know

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
    I dont see anything wrong in a player moaning about the quota system when he's possibly a victim of it. It's his livelyhood remember.
    True enough, but Steyn and De Villiers have been given a shot lately, so it is possible for white lads to have a fair crack at it in SA.

True, but thats probably cos they are desperate for talent atm..something they werent 4-5 years ago.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    His constant railing against the SA quota system is, at best, ill-conceived

I don't see how?

Any system that means Amla plays Tests is wrong.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    I don't see how?

It's a slightly blunt tool designed to redress 45 years of Apartheid & as long again before of unofficial discriminatory policies.

I don't agree with it; I actually argued for the retention of Van Jaarsveld over Amla in the main Eng-SA thread. The trouble is if a player moans about "blacks getting all the breaks" he sounds a d1ck & a borderline racist.

I imagine the philosophy behind the policy is to encourage the cricketing development of formerly disadvantaged ethnic groups in SA. In practice there have been a few players who have been promoted beyond their abilities. Some tho, like Langeveldt (debut at 30, takes 5-for) seem to have been held back. I guess it isn't an exact science.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby

I imagine the philosophy behind the policy is to encourage the cricketing development of formerly disadvantaged ethnic groups in SA. In practice there have been a few players who have been promoted beyond their abilities. Some tho, like Langeveldt (debut at 30, takes 5-for) seem to have been held back. I guess it isn't an exact science.
    If thats the case then run a quota at all levels from local club cricket to the 'A' side. But the main national XI should be the best XI, whether all white or all black. Anything other than that will harm the team in the long run. If you have a quota system at all levels then eventually you'll get good enough black players who will come through to the first XI naturally.

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    From what i've seen and heard of Pietersen he seems quite a likeable and genuine man. He also speaks his mind which i think is a good thing, yet some people seem to have trouble dealing with. His cricket speaks for itself.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson
    I've never seen him play or heard him speak, but from what I've heard of him, and some quotes of his I've come across, he does seem like a bit of a self-centred little boy.
    Should you ever be in the "fortunate" position of being interviewed by the media, you'll understand that mis-quotes, statements out of context, and distortions are all components of most journalists' repertoires.

Dont take anything you hear or read too seriously unless you have more evidence than is generally presented in a 30-second sound-bite.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social
    Should you ever be in the "fortunate" position of being interviewed by the media, you'll understand that mis-quotes, statements out of context, and distortions are all components of most journalists' repertoires.

Dont take anything you hear or read too seriously unless you have more evidence than is generally presented in a 30-second sound-bite.
    I haven't made a judgement on him yet, because, as twctopcat said, his cricket speaks for itself. I was just talking about the limited coverage of him I've come across.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    I don't see how?

Amla earnt his go.
    Which cannot be said for Tsolekile.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan B
    A superb entertainer with massive talent, but is he a good team player? At times he sems pre-occupied with himself, to the exclusion of his team.
    Can he overcome his ego - I hope so!

Why did he go to Hampshire. Was it money, Shane Warne, ambition, or dislike of a Notts team mate?
    The common "desire for a new challenge". Some people (inexplicably for me - but there you go!) just don't do "settled".
    He did fall-out with Notts in 2003\04 but he played in 2004 without any regrets and in the end there wasn't anything acrimonious about his departure.
    As for is he a good team player - if he scores runs for the team, he's a good team player!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information