• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Murali...

Was Murali deliberately generous to Fleming?

• Yes

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Arrow said:
Just ask yourself has murali ever been hit like that in any other match? And has fleming ever played like that in any other match?
Fleming has never scored a hundred that quickly, but he's certainly taken to the bowling on small New Zealand grounds before. See the series against Pakistan a while back, and even the first odi against Sri Lanka.

Murali hasn't been hit quite like that either, but people have certainly gone after him with success. He just didn't bowl particularly brilliantly, nobody who actually watched the game could seriously think he *wanted* to get hit for six after six.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
When I was watching the game, I had my suspitions about whether Muali was doing his best or not. But after thinking about it, I really doubt he was, Fleming was belting everyone else to, just that Muralis went further.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
First off, Murali wouldn't care about his ODI figures if it came to that against helping charity. Plus I don't think its his style to 'take a dive' if you will (I've been watching Snatch :happy:)

My dad said "they were probably mucking around" when I told him about the scores (he hadn't seen any of the match). However Warne did say that its the best hitting he's ever seen didn't he?

C_C

International Captain
I think Murali was being overly generous..he certainly bowled a lot fuller than i've seen him bowl. As per his integrity, this isnt an international ODI and this match wasnt sactioned by ICC..it was an exhibition match and remember there was a price-tag to every boundary hit...something like 3000 dollars per six and 2000 dollars per four....
there have been exhibition matches with that kind of a format ( either in some charity match or memorial match to a certain ex-player) and that kinda stuff is common place.

nibbs

International Captain
btw, in the second innings of the second test at eden park vs south africa. well worth noting fleming made 31 off 11 balls to end the match in a real rush...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Of course it could be because he's only just back from a long layoff and isn't back to match fitness?
Those were my thoughts exactly. You can't expect a guy to come back to international cricket after an injury break and be right back up to his standards.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
Those were my thoughts exactly. You can't expect a guy to come back to international cricket after an injury break and be right back up to his standards.
Yes but to go for nearly 20 an over?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Fleming has the ability to hit + in top from + Murali recovering from injury + incentive for Fleming to hit big = the slaughter at Jade Stadium.

There, I win, you lose.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that Murali was purposefully tossing it up for Fleming to smack sixes.

It was just one of those freak innings...much like Astle's 222.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
its just Stupid to sugest that.If it had been ponting,tendulkar or flintoff smashing two fo the greatest players in the history of the game they would be congratualted but because it was a nzer it is nothing more than murali purposefully tossing it to be hit
murali isnt like that nather is warne or vass for that matter

Fiery

Banned
cric_manic said:
its just Stupid to sugest that.If it had been ponting,tendulkar or flintoff smashing two fo the greatest players in the history of the game they would be congratualted but because it was a nzer it is nothing more than murali purposefully tossing it to be hit
murali isnt like that nather is warne or vass for that matter
That's possibly the longest, most grammatically incorrect, poorly spelt and punctuated sentence I've read in a while. Nice work cric_manic.

:)

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fiery said:
That's possibly the longest, most poorly spelt, punctuated and grammatically incorrect sentence I've read in a while. Nice work cric_manic
ahahahaha thats a quality post right there :gora:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Fiery said:
That's possibly the longest, most poorly spelt, punctuated and grammatically incorrect sentences I've read in a while. Nice work cric_manic
That one there isn't all that flash, to be honest. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why the hell does it matter?
This match had absolutely no status whatsoever, it was a charity game and the result, or the individual performances, didn't matter in the slightest.
It was akin to a game played by my Third XI side when there's no League fixture on the day - to fill the calender. It doesn't matter whether someone gifted runs or not - same way it didn't matter when I moved the boundary back because it was way, way, way, way, way too short and I'd been blocked through the covers for four 3 times in my opening over. No-one minded - because it was a match of no consequence.