• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck: Love or Hate?

Peter Roebuck: Love or Hate ?

• Love

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Hate

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Seems from this and other forums that people either love or hate Peter Roebuck. I find this quite hard to believe as I personally am a big Roebuck fan. How about you guys - love or hate ?

biased indian

International Coach
i dont like his writing lately especally

when he had a column in indian newspaper which blasted the mumbai pitch one day .when actully he had another column previous day prasing the bowling of clarke on the same pitch. how can u be having two different opinions on a thing

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The pieces Roebuck writes in Sydney Morning Herald (www.smh.com.au) are awesome. He is my favourite cricket writer and I have read quite a few.

The best thing I like about him is that he is forthright. He has been critical of S.Waugh at ocassions when the situation demanded, some thing not many cricket writers have had the outlook to do. Its just an example.

People may not agree with his views some times but that happens when you are forthright. Its better than going the middle path and taking no stand at all.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
The pieces Roebuck writes in Sydney Morning Herald (www.smh.com.au) are awesome. He is my favourite cricket writer and I have read quite a few.

The best thing I like about him is that he is forthright. He has been critical of S.Waugh at ocassions when the situation demanded, some thing not many cricket writers have had the outlook to do. Its just an example.

People may not agree with his views some times but that happens when you are forthright. Its better than going the middle path and taking no stand at all.
thats not always true...

some of Roebucks views on things are just total BS..I cant remember what article is was, but I remember reading one and couldnt get away from the idea that some of what he was saying was verging on the racist...but dont ask me for prove, coz I wouldnt know where to look

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
some of Roebucks views on things are just total BS..I cant remember what article is was, but I remember reading one and couldnt get away from the idea that some of what he was saying was verging on the racist...but dont ask me for prove, coz I wouldnt know where to look
I would say he atleast has a view. Most cricket writers do not and are more of literature writers than cricket writers.

Most of Reobuck's pieces I have read have been top class. He may be wrong in the article you are referring. But generally its forthright and has a good insight.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Swervy said:
thats not always true...

I'm impressed that you haven't mentioned the spanking yet.... :)

Actually, I tend to agree. He has a curiously antiquated imperialist attitude to some countries/people, and often makes this fairly clear with his comments.

And his writing style is very tired, IMO. His kind of faux purple-prose really grates on you after a few years, and he gives the impression sometimes that he could write them in his sleep. Extremely repetitive, and I don't often bother to read him anymore.

Funnily enough, I don't mind him on radio though. Agreed with his recent comments about the tsunami, which he took some flak for.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I conside him one of the games better living writers.

The fact that one may disagree with some of his views doeasnt come into it. If I was to consider a good writer only on the basis of whether or not I find his views acceptable, it is another way of saying "I am (or as good as being) the best writer in the game"

He has his own views, expresses them with clarity, understands the game, its technique/technicalities, knows its history like a passionate lover of the game rather than a researcher and , from whatever i have observed, does not have any specific biases which cant be termed as just matters of opinion.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
I conside him one of the games better living writers.

The fact that one may disagree with some of his views doeasnt come into it. If I was to consider a good writer only on the basis of whether or not I find his views acceptable, it is another way of saying "I am (or as good as being) the best writer in the game"

He has his own views, expresses them with clarity, understands the game, its technique/technicalities, knows its history like a passionate lover of the game rather than a researcher and , from whatever i have observed, does not have any specific biases which cant be termed as just matters of opinion.
Well said :thumbsup:

Deja moo

International Captain
Flip flop opinions are not good, no matter however forcibly he expresses them. Along with Atherton, he gets a thumbs down from me.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
Funnily enough, I don't mind him on radio though. Agreed with his recent comments about the tsunami, which he took some flak for.
What were his comments?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Jono said:
What were his comments?
The Anglican Dean of Sydney and the chief executive of the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils made public comments that the tsunami was a punishment from God, and a warning of judgement.

Roebuck was pretty angered by this, and ridiculed the notion, as did various Catholic, Jewish and Hindu religious leaders.

howardj

International Coach
I like Roebuck's articles when he has an actual point to make. However, especially of late, his offerings have become too 'flowery' and lacking in substance. It's as though he's bored with writing about cricket and is trying appeal to retired English teachers who enjoy a cute turn of phrase.