• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie campaigns to have the 2005 Ashes shown on Free TV

Hoggy31

International Captain
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/JAN/162415_AUS_20JAN2005.html said:
Free-to-air campaign for this year's Ashes

Cricinfo staff

January 20, 2005

The Queensland Prime Minister Peter Beattie is mounting a campaign to have the 2005 Ashes series aired on free-to-air television.

"Aussies should not be forced to pay to watch an Ashes series," he told the Melbourne-based Herald Sun newspaper. "As far as the average Aussie is concerned this is our nation's longest-running and most important international sporting event. Unless the ABC or SBS take it up Aussie cricket lovers will pay."

John Howard, Australia's Prime Minister, who is an enthusiastic follower of cricket himself, had told Beattie in a reply to a letter sent at the end of last year that the issue was one for the free-to-air broadcasters to decide. And today, he added that that if, for commercial reasons or other obligations, the Ashes could not be covered by commercial television, then the ABC should be given a crack at it.

Beattie wants more: "In light of the PM's response I am again asking that he does just this - if not the ABC - then SBS might be drafted."

© Cricinfo

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I never much liked Peter Beattie before, but I do now! Makes no difference to me though - I have Foxtel, but I won't be here anyway!

Josh

International Regular
We recently disconnected Cable knowing we won't see the ashes. This won't help. The stations are adament not to show it. Channel 10 is too hung on the simpsons, channel 9 wants wimbledon and channel 7 have no-one to do it.

ABC don't have the funding, neither do SBS. It's all just ********.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
This always confused me when watching the live channel 9 feeds on sky sports at night. Why do they always say hello / goodbye to local viewers during the days play...do they get to see certain sessions free if they live in the area of the ground? or only if its a sell out etc... and which channels is the free sessions shown broadcast on?
Just always interested me :)

Josh

International Regular
Correct. And they always show the news & current affairs hour, which causes the lucky south-eastern state viewers to miss the first 15 minutes of a run chase, or the end of a days play if it's a test match.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I dont' care what they do as Long as I get to watch it. I will be sending some emails, lets say some not nice ones either if its not shown on either free to air or foxtel.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
We recently disconnected Cable knowing we won't see the ashes. This won't help. The stations are adament not to show it. Channel 10 is too hung on the simpsons, channel 9 wants wimbledon and channel 7 have no-one to do it.

ABC don't have the funding, neither do SBS. It's all just ********.
Was thinking about the wimbledon thing, at the moment no aussies are exactly ripping the tennis court up and alreayd the ashes is mounting in expectation..wouldn't the damn *******s want the ashes instead which should get higher ratings :p

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
Correct. And they always show the news & current affairs hour, which causes the lucky south-eastern state viewers to miss the first 15 minutes of a run chase, or the end of a days play if it's a test match.
That doesn't happen in Test matches as much anymore because people get very angry if someone is about to get a 50,100, something is exciting happening

Josh

International Regular
GoT_SpIn said:
That doesn't happen in Test matches as much anymore because people get very angry if someone is about to get a 50,100, something is exciting happening
They took it off when McGrath was on 46, didn't they?? *******s...

And don't worry, there ain't a chance fox will pass on showing it if the FTA networks don't.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Linda said:
It feels more authentic on Channel 9..
Who cares?! As far as I'm concerned give all the matches home and away to Foxtel. We can get Fox Sports active and can watch highlights whenever we want, get the scorecard whenever we want & you can turn off the commentators if you want. And on Foxtel you don't miss anything because of other commitments, they stay with the cricket no matter what!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Who cares?! As far as I'm concerned give all the matches home and away to Foxtel. We can get Fox Sports active and can watch highlights whenever we want, get the scorecard whenever we want & you can turn off the commentators if you want. And on Foxtel you don't miss anything because of other commitments, they stay with the cricket no matter what!
Exactly! The only problem is people who can't afford it.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd love it if there was a Fox Cricket Channel.

Would never happen, but it would be great.

And anyway, Fox Active is a waste of money, hyped up but does nothing.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
They have a channel for the AFL, and that doesn't go for anywhere near the amount of time as cricket and isn't on for half the year!! A cricket channel would be fantastic, I've thought about that before as well! :)