• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hookesy - a year ago yesterday

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Just looking at All Today's Yesterdays on Cricinfo and it notes David Hookes died Jan 19 last year.

It seems like only a few months ago that was in the news. Last year must have gone very quickly.

(Not sure if this is OT or CC, since it doesn't relate to actual playing - feel free to move it if necessary, mods).

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
It happened January 19th? That's very sad, because it's been a happy day for the last few years for me. I remember January 19th as the day Michael Clarke played his first international for Australia.

Anyway, it's hard to believe it's been a year already. I remember hearing some rumours that he was dead from people before the news reported it. I couldn't believe it at the time.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Any news on how the court case ended against the bouncer? i heard about it a while ago...must have reached a verdict by now?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 31, 2004

Serious assault charges were dropped yesterday against the man accused of killing former Australian cricketer David Hookes.

Hotel bouncer Zdravko Micevic did not appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court when five charges, related to an incident in Essendon, were withdrawn.

In a matter unrelated to Hookes' death, Micevic, 22, was charged with offences that included intentionally and recklessly causing serious injury at a hotel in 2003.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/30/1093852183075.html?from=storylhs

Slow Love™

International Captain
Wow, that year has gone so fast. Hookes was my favorite player as a kid. I used to go to the Vic vs SA Shield games just to see him play.

BTW, Voltman, that thing you've quoted up there pertains to a seperate offence, and has nothing to do with the Hookes incident. As far as I know, Zdravco Micevicis's trial over Hookes' death is set for March this year.

Josh

International Regular
SpaceMonkey said:
Any news on how the court case ended against the bouncer? i heard about it a while ago...must have reached a verdict by now?
It'll tail on for years and years.

I was gonna post something about Hookes yesterday, but I forgot. Stupid memory.

Anyways, I reckon it should be an official national day of mourning or something else of great significance. David Hookes: Aussie Legend - Rest in Peace

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Wow, that year has gone so fast. Hookes was my favorite player as a kid. I used to go to the Vic vs SA Shield games just to see him play.

BTW, Voltman, that thing you've quoted up there pertains to a seperate offence, and has nothing to do with the Hookes incident. As far as I know, Zdravco Micevicis's trial over Hookes' death is set for March this year.
Ah, right you are - I just Googled with careless use.