cricket betting betway blog banner small

View Poll Results: Whom does the twenty20 game favour more?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batsmen

23 71.88%
  • Bowlers

3 9.38%
  • Equal for both

6 18.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty20 - favours whom?

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar

Twenty20 - favours whom?

I have come under a lot of flack in a particular thread http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthre...4&page=1&pp=15

What do you believe is the way the twenty20 game is tilted?

More in favour of batsmen, bowlers or is it equal for both?
    Last edited by Pratters; 19-01-2005 at 04:25 PM.

Batters, no question.

Bowlers are essentially cannon fodder in 20/20.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"There is presumably such a thing as a good second-ball duck. This was not one of them." - Barney Ronay on James Vince's innings v. Australia

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Batters, no question.

Bowlers are essentially cannon fodder in 20/20.
    So then the team with the better batting wins every time then irregardless of how good the bowling is? I think not.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    yes the batters have the better of it. but there were some awesome bowling performances last year. Mascerenhas, Hollioake spring to mind. Also the spinners seem to have a very good time, Dinesh Mongia had an economy rate of 4, that is good for OD cricket! If you actually look at the statistics and scorecard you'll see a great deal of success amongst the bowlers.

If you said bowling AND fielding compared to batting I think that would be a better comparison. After all if you were to compare bowling & batting at Test level you would have to say batting was more important because it's one half of the game (ignoring relatively minor things like runnings between the wickets, speed of running etc.) whereas fielding and bowling are intertwined.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Bowlers who still swing and do stuff with the ball get their rewards- its not that heavily tilted
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Twenty20 favours the spectators.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    So then the team with the better batting wins every time then irregardless of how good the bowling is? I think not.
    To be fair that isn't what I said.

If a fast-medium bowler bowls a good length ball on or just outside off he's very likely to be carved away; in tests or FC games it would be a good ball. 20/20 certainly makes bowlers think, but to be successful they have to completely overhaul their normal game whereas batters can be successful playing legit cricket shots.

A length ball (off-stump or just outside) is still effective especially in the first few overs because there will always be a little bit of movement possible as the ball never gets older than 20 overs, so you've always got a new or newish ball which in turn helps the batsmen to play shots as well of course (and hopefully none of that "oh the ball is discoloured could we have a new one" after about 40 overs in your average ODI). Obviously you mix in different lengths towards the end of the innings, if you kept bowling the same length (whatever length that was) it would get hit away eventually. It will be interesting to see how teams cope with the pressure - you'll get your fair share of close games and it only takes a couple of 4s or a couple of dots for the pressure to switch between bowler and batsman.

yeah i have to agree with the batting, have to say that the bowlers are pretty much cannon fodder, as it was mentioned before

Obviously batsmen.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Someone's voted for bowlers! There's always one, eh?

Come on, who was it? Tell the rest of the class! We can wait all day...it's your time you're wasting, not mine...

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    If you said bowling AND fielding compared to batting I think that would be a better comparison. After all if you were to compare bowling & batting at Test level you would have to say batting was more important because it's one half of the game (ignoring relatively minor things like runnings between the wickets, speed of running etc.) whereas fielding and bowling are intertwined.
    Eh? Bowling is more important than batting at test level, because bowling wins matches. You can score 900 in 100 overs and still fail to win a test match, if you can take 20 wickets however your batting only has to be good enough to give your bowlers something to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Twenty20 favours the spectators.
    so true - and that's about all it's good for IMO

This twenty-over game favours nobody in its current form. Batsmen get a licence to play far too many bad shots in an innings and get their strategies totally wrong, while bowlers' confidence is shot, being hit for so many, making them bowl defensively. However, if they made the pitches more bouncy (a lot more) and used tennis balls, the faster bowlers can be encouraged to bowl fast and attack the batsmen, while the outfielders should try harder to stop balls from going far.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information