• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second greatest Australian batsman

Who is the second greatest Australian test batsman?

• Victor Trumper

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Stan McCabe

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Bill Ponsford

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Neil Harvey

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Lindsay Hassett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bob Simpson

• Greg Chappell

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Allan Border

• Steve Waugh

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Ricky Ponting

• Matthew Hayden

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Damien Martyn

• Total voters

Fiery

Banned
Scallywag said:
Not trying to ram home my point but ewe did set yourself up like a lamb for slaughter.

:D
:) Very good

I like this one:

Two sheep herders are flying the herd to a new farm. Suddenly, the engine fails and the plane begins to fall quickly to the ground. SH1: Quick! Grab a parachute and jump! SH2: What about the sheep?!? SH1: f u c k the sheep!!!! SH2: (pause) Do you think we have time?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
just like javagal srinath and heath streak and dion nash i'm guessinG? id!ot
The idiot is anyone who doesn't think all could have been a hell of a lot better than they were (the latter two of whom had their careers seriously affected by injury and the former who had more than his fair share).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fiery said:
Devastating on a green top maybe. I remember him well and was just shocked that you had included a one-test-wonder with questionable fitness and a total of 35 tests wickets to his name in such illustrious company.
He complimented them well... not all lists are exclusive of alike inclusives.
Being injury-prone is hardly a slant on a player, more like a good reason to forgive certain failings.
The afro part was just for emphasis and "muppet" is what I call all Englishmen.
I'll ignore all such prejudicial comments in future, then. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Triple Crown said:
As far as the "sh*t" aussie team of the mid 80's, I'm talking about the period from 1984 to 1987, prior to the WC win, which turned things around somewhat.

Lets see,

Boon - Young, inexperienced & not yet at his peak
No, not - fair enough - but still good enough to average in the 50s in First-Class cricket on the 1985 tour.
Kepler Wessels - Went back to SA
But still played 12 Tests in the 1984-86 period.
Steve Waugh - Young, inexperienced & not yet at his peak
Yes, fair enough - but wasn't a bad bowler.
McDermott - Young, inexperienced & not yet at his peak
But still good enough to finish his 8th Test with an average under 30 - his really poor period came in the next 8 games.
Reid - Hardly in the side due to chronic back injurires
But was ever-present in '85-'87 - only later that his injury-problems kicked-in.
Lawson - Great bowler at his best but prone to injury & couldn't do it all on his own
Missed a load of games in '86 and '87, yes, but missed just 1 game out of 14 in '84-'85.
Alderman - Went on the rebel SA tour & was banned.
Yeah - played just 6 games between '82 and '88.
So that list starts to look thin now, doesn't it? Maybe calling the side sh*t was too harsh.
Which is all I meant - I was hardly calling it a fantastic side.
I think it seemed that way because the ACB in their wisdom chose to play the West Indies a LOT during that period, & Richard Hadlee was at his peak & tore Aust apart.

As far as AB being the 2nd best Aust batsman, I don't know. Maybe he isn't. I just wanted to make the point that he spent the best years of his career fighting rearguard actions with little or no support, constantly thinking "if I get out, we're gonna lose". It would have been interesting if he'd had a few more reliable players around him & he could cut loose without having to worry so much.